Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times

Advertisements

Yes. The last 2 dogs were yard trained. Be aware that some places like Pima County, AZ do not allow you to have your dog loose on your property unless you have some acreage and not just one acre like we had without having a dog proof fence. In our long experience, certain breeds namely shepherds and other herding breeds do better than say a Norwegian Elkhound (would not stay in the yard for 2 seconds unless attached to something heavy and I chased that dog for miles sometimes barefoot). I suggest following the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan for training tips and his shows on the National Geographic Channel or the DVDs can teach you a lot about what to expect from your dog. There are always exceptions to the rules for everything. Also, I have seen amazing results using "invisible" fencing even with the hunting breeds. It also really helps if your dog is obedient and will come immediately if called.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Maybe I should clarify does anyone let their dog off leash in an unfenced part of their property. I asked because I wonder if most dog owners do it, and if so, what kind of training if any was involved. But it's looking like most of you don't.
I do! My 10 yr old Lab would never leave the property. He's just that type that stays right underfoot. He was taught basic voice commands. My previous Lab (RIP, Mousse) was the same way. As far as training, it was just a matter of calling him back when he crossed into the neighbor's yard. He soon learned the boundaries. He also went w/ me to my business I owned and would jump out of the van and walk straight to the shop door. I had an Aussie (RIP, Shiloh) that never needed training. He literally learned hand commands overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot imagine someone letting a chihuahua run loose as much as those dogs cost well one day it wont come back someone will pick it up cause I have ppl eyeballing my dogs everyday and I smile and say hello and they say oh they are so cute , well yes they are cute but they are also an exspensive breed as well . Never in a million years would I let my babys run loose .
My chihuahua would never leave my side, but I don't leave her loose because of the hawks in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolseen View Post
Some breeds of dogs should never be trusted off lead.
I agree! One of my Cairn Terriers can never be off lead. Her instincts to hunt are much too strong.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM

909 posts, read 3,366,047 times
So this weekend we took Shep to visit Dh's aunt, who owns a 4yo pointer/foxhound mix. They live on 2 acres, and their property abuts conservation land. We frequently walk from her house to a river so the kids can throw rocks off the bridge. This dog is completely off leash. She suddenly appeared next to the car when I got out. We walked with Shep on a leash to the river, and she just goes. When you call, she comes back, or at least close enough so you can see her. I did ask the aunt how she trained her to come back, and she said with treats. So I suppose it's possible. this is the same dog that comes to stay with us periodically and she is off leash most of the time when we're outside. She'll wander a wide circle around our property, sometimes cross the street, but always come back when you whistle. Amazing. She is the world's most mellow dog, except when she sees a squirrel, then she barks and runs from window to window. I'm not sure what she would do if she saw a squirrel while outside. There is plenty of wildlife around her home and Dh's aunt says sometimes she just takes off. But she always comes back. Their neighborhood looks more rural though, their house is at the end of a dead end. Our neighborhood is much more suburban, and I'm not sure how the neighbors we don't know would feel about Shep just showing up on their lawn.

For Dh having Shep off leash seems like a laudable goal, but not a default that we gotta have. We have a 20 foot lead that we use to tie him to a tree in the driveway when the kids are playing there. After I saw it in action I knew I shoulda got him a 30-40 foot lead

Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
Any dog regardless of breed, prey drive, etc etc, that you have to chase after, not come back when called or can't be stopped from chasing a rabbit has an owner who has failed their dog.

It's not the dogs fault, It's your fault.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Any dog regardless of breed, prey drive, etc etc, that you have to chase after, not come back when called or can't be stopped from chasing a rabbit has an owner who has failed their dog.

I disagree.

Rip will never change.

It is in his blood.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Perhaps you would like to read about Rip's bloodline.

Treeing Walker Coonhound Information and Pictures, Treeing Walker Coonhounds

BTW, we knew this when we paid $3500 for Rip.

That is why he has a GPS collar and runs 7 miles a day.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:

I also disagree.
We had our older rough collie (9 years old) in every conceivable obedience class.
She knows dozens of commands and performs them readily.
She has also just picked up english along the way and performs commands that we have never formally taught her.
She has traveled with us all over the place, has been socialized in many arenas, and has never once had an accident in the house (that wasn't related to illness) or in anyone else's house.
In the house, she is kind, sweet, obedient to a fault, and readily accessible. She will come immediately.
Outside the house, however, she cannot STAND to see a moving object. Her herding instinct is insane. While she walks nicely on a leash and can be told then to ignore moving wildlife or cars (which she will, unless it's very specifically the UPS truck), off leash would be a risky proposal.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
And I disagree with you.
My dogs are bilingual too.

Instinct or not you can train your dog to listen to you, all of the time.

I've owned high drive dogs, with a strong prey drive and they will not chase with out permission.

Your just letting your dog get away with it and your justifying it by using it's instinct as an excuse.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
And I disagree with you.

I've owned high drive dogs, with a strong prey drive and they will not chase with out permission.

Your just letting your dog get away with it and your justifying it by using it's instinct as an excuse.
Ok. Sorry my dogs aren't the automatons yours are...but they both have personality quirks that we haven't been able to train out of them (and neither have professional trainers). I don't believe in ever letting a dog roam around outside unsupervised, anyway, so it's hardly a problem. And frankly, I wouldn't trade 'em for the world. They're just damn good dogs.

Last edited by stan4; 05-17-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
And I disagree with you.

Rip is bred to run and hunt.

He is a predator by breeding.

He is also not a pet, he is a hunting tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs