Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

Guess YOU didnt read my post sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
NEVER Sleep on the BED! Well Cripe Tell my Dr this hahahahahahaha Katie Sleeps on my bed her back to my back helps my Arthritis Course I guess I could repalce her withj a MAN LOL NOT!! Dont go in Front of me.... Sure does She guards the Door! I might be right there to OK the person but She greets them & lets me know IF they are Not welcome! Dont clean you plate geee Thats my time saver & back saver she licks & I put in washer to clean sanitize & dry Hummmmm Guess YOU ARE NOT WELCOME in my house!!
Here I thought I was helping with my last postDumb ME!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
My Grandmother always had dogs. Fat, mean, yappie dogs, that bit, chewed, and peed or crapped where ever they wanted. It was beyond gross. She just picked up the mess, "Tiny does not want to go out and get cold", we are talking Vegas, in the winter, it was like 50!!!

Her dogs were spoiled, and always in her lap. They were vicious, and would growl or snap at anyone, including her. She had a chi, a ****-tzu, a poodle, and a pomerainian.

She never trained or disciplined her dogs. I could not stand it. When I was there, I did work with her dogs, on potty training, she said the dogs did not like me...right. But they sure listened to me.

When I would bring over my nice, mellow, well trained dog, she would marvel, at how "lucky" I was to get a dog so well behaved...!!!! Right, it is called "training". What was annoying, is that she would "sneak" food to Sam under the table, and actually encourage bad behavior from him. She let him up on the sofa when I was gone...thinking she was "better" to him than me!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
fibbonacci,
as an animal behaviourist i can tell you the "alpha"theory doesnt work...
dogs are not idiots, they KNOW were not dogs therefore the idea of you being the alpha dog is ridiculous...
them listening to their person has nothing to do with being "alpha" instead its got alot to do with a bond based on respect and trust...
i do agree that thy need to work for their food, i practice a nothing in life is free method, they earn their meals by sitting and waiting untill allowed to eat. on a walk they are expected to walk loosely beside me or slightly behind (but not lagging) my dogs have manners and its got nothing to sdo with me pretending to be "alpha dog" or alpha theory, and instead it has everything to do with me showing my dogs what i expect and giving them chances to succeed.
badly behaved dogs arnt "being naughty" "acting out" ect...they simply have no idea what is expected of them, there confused...just liek a child without structure...if they dont know HOW to act, you cant blame them for acting out...
other people have probably encoraged the jumping up licking ect not just the owner but other visitors...none has corrected the behaviour so instead its been reinforced, indriectly or not...

there is absolutly NO reason your dog cant share your bed assuming the dog is properly groomed and assuming the dog isnt posessive of said bed...

i get what your saying about basic manners...
but again...its not YOUR house...if you dont like the dogs behaviour...dont go to the house where the dog lives...
and BAD behaviour has NOTHING to do with "doting" owners, it has 100% to do with LAZY owners...
im a DOTING owner...my dogs sleep on the bed occasioanlly, they are welcome on the couch, they get baby talked to and even dressed up (i have hairless dogs its not a "fashion thing" is a nesecity and they enjoy it (they bring me their clothes ect))
i am NOT however a LAZY dog owner, my dogs have manners, dont jump, and wouldnt even think of sneaking from the plate...
theres a big difference between a doting dog owner and a LAZY dog owner...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Why is it wrong to let your dog sleep in your bed?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
No one is saying they don't like dogs here, it's the fact that people are ignorant about the fact that they have dogs that have bad behavior and are not trained properly. Too many people treat their dogs like they are a human, they're not. They're dogs, so step up and show them who is alpha. Too many owners are afraid or think it is "mean" to show a dog just who is in charge. I love dogs, but only ones that know how to behave. I don't understand why any owners tolerate the constant yapping, obstruction in the kitchen or walkways, stealing of food off of plates in the kitchen, etc. It's not "cute" to have a dog constantly in your face trying to lick it while you are trying to talk to someone while sitting down.

You should never let a dog sleep in your bed, go into a doorway before you, eat food from your plate, never walk around them to get to where you are going or have to step over them, or do anything else to let a dog think it is equal to, or above you in power. It's amazing how many owners don't understand this.
It sounds like the people you know don't train their dogs to have manners. Maybe you should share your thoughts with them, I'm sure they will be receptive to you vast knowledge.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
So STAY HOME.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
I get so sick of when people dote on their dogs constantly, they constantly have to show them attention, give them treats all of the time, talk to them in baby voice, and fail to discipline them. When you go over their houses it can be almost unbearable as to how annoying their dogs can be. Their dogs beg for food at the table, run around all over the house/bar/jump on you when you come through the door, try to lick your face constantly while you are sitting down at the couch, or they constantly get in the way in the kitchen and are under your feet while trying to cook because they know there is food around. I'm willing to bet that many dog owners should probably never even own a dog because they are not willing to discipline them properly. It is incredibly annoying when you visit your friend's houses and they have untrained pets.
When you pay for my dogs and their bills......you get an opinion on them. (an me)

My dogs are spoiled....and that is fine with me.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
LOL

The purpose of this post is?????????

Ah.......... To get people wound up. Good grief. You make me laugh.

Don't like it? Don't come to my house. I dote on my dogs all day long. And it's their house. My guess is they wouldn't like you anyway.

My rule? Don't tell me how to raise my dog and I won't complain about what a horrible job you've done raising your bratty kids. I think that's fair!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I love my puppy-uppies, Eddy, Niles, Daphnie, and Briscoe. They are my little babies. If you don't like it, don't visit.
"Frasier" fan, perhaps? Those names are so familiar to me...

Sorry for people who have been put off by those with truly unruly pets.
If Caesar the peke gets too noisy we put him in his kennel. Usually he's
just excited to see other people and pets, doesn't bite, wants attention.
He settles down after a bit. No, we don't let him bother any guests.
We are empty nesters and adore our pekingese. True dog lovers understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs