Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 48,114 times

Advertisements

What does somebody has to do when he wants to work as a dogwalker ?
Do you need a special injurance in case something happens with dogs ?
Can everybody do this job without special trainig or test ?
We rarely have dogwalkers in Germany but I know that everybody can do it without any experience or training.
How much is it to engage one ? Is it lucrative ?
I can imagine that there are a lot of dogwalkers in LA.
What do you expect from your dogwalker ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Good questions.

Some are licensed and insured. Most are not (and I'm OK with that).

I don't know that there is any special training. Even if there is, no dog walker that I know of has it (and I'm OK with that).

My current dog walker charges $15 per walk.

I can't imagine that it's lucrative because you have to factor in the time and expense (gas) to get to the dog, get him leashed, take him out, and take him back. (My dog is easier -- I just tell the dog walker to let him out in my back yard instead of walking him.) While it's not lucrative, I'm sure that there's a lot of enjoyment from it: you get exercise, the dog gets out, and the dog's person has the peace of mind that the dog is taken care of.

What do I expect from my dog walker? The most important thing is that they show up... on time.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:46 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Good questions.

Some are licensed and insured. Most are not (and I'm OK with that).

I don't know that there is any special training. Even if there is, no dog walker that I know of has it (and I'm OK with that).

My current dog walker charges $15 per walk.

I can't imagine that it's lucrative because you have to factor in the time and expense (gas) to get to the dog, get him leashed, take him out, and take him back. (My dog is easier -- I just tell the dog walker to let him out in my back yard instead of walking him.) While it's not lucrative, I'm sure that there's a lot of enjoyment from it: you get exercise, the dog gets out, and the dog's person has the peace of mind that the dog is taken care of.

What do I expect from my dog walker? The most important thing is that they show up... on time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a sample size of one here.
I have had the same dog (wouldn't call her a 'walker', more of a 'nanny') that comes to my house 5 days a week, for about 17 hours a week, since 1995. She is retired, bonded, and does it primarily because she loves the dog. It runs about $15/hr. She takes the dog when I go on vacation, or in a situation when no one can be home for a day or so, takes the dog on car rides, to the town parks etc. There are many people that will take you on in this role. My only concern is that she has bonded to the dog, so I wonder if the dog likes her more than me. (just kidding).

Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I wouldn't use an inexperienced dog walker. Also I wouldn't use a dog walker who walks more dogs than are equivalent to 1/2 their weight (example a 140 lb dog walker shouldn't walk more than 70 lbs of dog). Ask how this person will handle the approach of an unleashed dog or passing another group of dogs who start lunging and barking. I pay my dog walker $30 for walking my 2 dogs about 45-60 min.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I do not use a dog walker but most of the good ones here charge $20-$30 an hour and take the dogs out for an hour.

There is a dog walker we see every morning up at the leash free walking park and he has anywhere from 5-10 dogs with him and he does a great job handling them. If any act up they get put back on leash . He is amazing handling so many dogs at once but has been doing so for many years and started out as a dog walker in New York city. Most people could never handle that many at once but he makes it look easy and he usually has a great group of dogs in that morning walk. My dogs love it when we walk with them and they get to be a part of the pack for awhile. He has several groups he walks each day so for him it is a lucrative job.He knows dogs and their body language very well and as I said when I see him he always seems to be doing a great job. There are a couple dogs in his morning group that I just love as they are really great dogs.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM

653 posts, read 946,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colognegirl View Post
What does somebody has to do when he wants to work as a dogwalker ?
Do you need a special injurance in case something happens with dogs ?
Can everybody do this job without special trainig or test ?
We rarely have dogwalkers in Germany but I know that everybody can do it without any experience or training.
How much is it to engage one ? Is it lucrative ?
I can imagine that there are a lot of dogwalkers in LA.
What do you expect from your dogwalker ?
I recently read that San Fran will be requiring licenses. I'd check for the specific area you plan to be a dog walker. That's about all I know. I'm sure others can answer your other questions.

Ah, here's the article I was thinking of:
http://www.allpetnews.com/san-franci...lker-licensing

This is a good article, too:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1146968.html

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Added more info.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
ALL States Require Business lic. Yes get insurance! Me I would want you to go thru at least an Obedience Class so I know you can basicly handle a dog.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 PM

380 posts, read 653,111 times
Mine charges $22/day or $100/workweek. Worth every penny. She's bonded and insured, and is a licensed vet tech.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i would ALWAYS suggest going with a bonded/insured walker or pet sitter...fif ANYTHING happens its just good to have that extra peace of mind both for the walker and for the owner...but the USA is kinda lawsuit happy...so i perosnlaly wouldnt risk it here without that extra security...

price depends on location, ive seen walkers who cant give thier services away...and others who can charge $25+ an hour and get it...it will always depend on your market.

if you enjoy being outside in ALL weather, and love dogs (including not very well behaved ones) and love to excersize its a fun job...

Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 AM

28 posts, read 48,114 times
Thanks for the answers. One more question : How did you find your dogwalker ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs