Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find the 'perfect' dog food for my 2 dogs. One, mid sized, the other, smaller, but not small (border collie/lab mix female & larger sheltie male) .

We aren't too knowledgeable on this stuff, & got the cheapest food. We are 'dog sitting' our friend's dog, & she brought his food. My border collie tries to eat as much as she can before the bigger male we are sitting for (not sure on breed) , 'takes over' & eats. So, I think they like his better. I know my friend tries to get 'better' food.

Recommendations? TIA =) These are my 1st dogs. Both rescues. I'm spoiling them rotten, & want to make sure they get good food too. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I Cook for my dogs! So they get Real Meats & Veggies! You should Feed the Dogs in Different rooms Mealtime should be LOW Stress Not worrying about IF another dogs going to take you food!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
I agree. Once the dog sitting is over, we should be better on. Every dog has his/her own water & food bowls in the kitchen. I also have 2 cats, who have their food in the bathroom we rigged w/ a latch lock, so, the cats can fit, but not the dogs. Trying. lol

Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I'm trying to find the 'perfect' dog food for my 2 dogs. One, mid sized, the other, smaller, but not small (border collie/lab mix female & larger sheltie male) .

We aren't too knowledgeable on this stuff, & got the cheapest food. We are 'dog sitting' our friend's dog, & she brought his food. My border collie tries to eat as much as she can before the bigger male we are sitting for (not sure on breed) , 'takes over' & eats. So, I think they like his better. I know my friend tries to get 'better' food.

Recommendations? TIA =) These are my 1st dogs. Both rescues. I'm spoiling them rotten, & want to make sure they get good food too. =)
Our dogs have gotten Purina ONE dry and Alpo, pedigree, or Purina One wet food. They have all lived long lives with minimal health issues. I used to feel really strongly that the 'best' food was the only way to go, but my research doesn't show any difference. There is such a thing as getting too cheap. try to use the food with fewer fillers.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
Quote:

We feed our dogs a raw diet primarily, combining fresh raw with pre-mix raw medallions and freeze-dried raw. We occasionally will feed a grain-free kibble (but never at the same meal with raw).

For ideas about how various kibble dog foods stack up check out the dogfood analysis site.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I feed Taste of the Wild, and I love it. It is considered premium, however, with this dog food I feed so much less of it, it comes out to about the same in dollars.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Raw.
I keep kibble (one of the grain-frees, or a better one like Solid Gold) on hand for when I forget to defrost stuff, or for fosters.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I cook for my dogs . Meats and veggies . I have not fed them dog food since the dog food scare and so many animals died . I will never again trust the dog food companies no matter what they claim .

Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
I'm trying to find the 'perfect' dog food for my 2 dogs.

I don't know if this is perfect, but I have two dogs and and one, a 4 year-old Shepherd mix gets Blue Buffalo and she gobbles it down. According to the label, there is NO: Poultry Byproducts; Corn, Wheat or Soy; Artificial Preservatives, Colors or Flavors.

Today’s breakfast menu for Her Highness: Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetables and Brown Rice. Some of the listed ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Peas, Sweet Potatoes ,Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Guar Gum, Salt, Flaxseed, Blueberries, Cranberries…

Last edited by pacific2; 06-27-2011 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Wellness Organic for our smooth collie (3 years old)

z/d Ultra (prescription diet) for our 10 year-old rough collie (who has a ton of skin allergies)

They both love it and are thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs