Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times

Advertisements

I had an incident this evening while driving up my street on my way home. It has been drizzling on and off, but not raining heavy.

As I'm driving down the street I see a woman dressed in medical scrubs with an umbrella, she was on her lawn and I figured she was making her way to her mailbox. I thought an umbrella was overkill as it was a very light rain.

As I get closer she starts screaming something and making faces, I have the windows rolled up. I then see a very small dog in the street and so I stop.

I then hear her scream "idiot" and so I open the car door and say are you speaking to me(whose the idiot who let's a dog go into the street). She said I was talking about my dog.

I then said to her "why is your dog in the street, I stopped as soon as I could but it is raining and the roads are wet"...she says to me "I'm an ER Nurse"...LOL...so what???? That makes you better than others? Some ER nurse. You don't have enough sense to not let a dog go in the street.

What does what you do for a living have to do with being a negligent when it comes to a pet?

I don't get people who don't watch their pets. This looked to be a Yorkie, so it was little and low to the ground it blended right in and it's grey coloring blended in with the road.

I would have felt bad if I hit it, but no apology from her, if she had said "I'm sorry, the dog got away from me", which isn't right either. It shoud be on a leash.

A sign of the times, no accountabiltity for stupid behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
I share your anger. It just goes to show ER nurses can be stupid and irresponsible, too.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
i feel for you, yesterday i was comming down my street (theres only 2 houses on my street and mine is at the vety end) my neightbors dog comes diving off the front porch trying to bite my car...
I would have felt terrible if id hit/hurt the dog, but seriosuly why should i have to feel bad because someone else cant keep thier pets under control :/
and then they use "im a" or "he would never" ect as some kind of excuse. grr arg. glad you didnt have to go through the anguish of hitting the poor dog but sorry you had to deal with someone who obviously has no clue.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Yes, I think that is why she made that comment, because I can see no other reason as to why what she did for a living matters in this situation.

"I can't do anything stupid because I'm an ER nurse"...LOL.

The thing was it wasn't raining hard at all, when I first saw her walking on her lawn I thought to myself it was overkill for the situation to have an umbrella.

Only when I got closer and she started making faces and screaming did I know something was wrong.

I mean it's a street, cars come down it. IDK if the dog got away form her or not, but if it did then you go after it.

You don't stand 300ft away from the dog with an umbrella yelling at a passing car.

I would feel awful if I had hit the dog, and it was so tiny. There was no reason it should have been out there. It shook me up.

And then no apology from her.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,592,604 times
I'd be shaken up, too!

Sorry you had to go through that, some people are just not using their brains.

I'm puzzled by her response about being an ER nurse, too...especially considering the fact that the question you asked her had nothing to do with her livelihood, LOL! Maybe she had just come off a long, hellish shift and was exhausted to the point of not being "all there"? Or maybe she thought you'd go easy on her because she saves lives for a living, even though she put her own dog's life in danger? At any rate, it doesn't excuse what she did...even the best trained dogs might bolt if they see a squirrel across the street, instinct is instinct!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'd be shaken up, too!

Sorry you had to go through that, some people are just not using their brains.

I'm puzzled by her response about being an ER nurse, too...especially considering the fact that the question you asked her had nothing to do with her livelihood, LOL! Maybe she had just come off a long, hellish shift and was exhausted to the point of not being "all there"? Or maybe she thought you'd go easy on her because she saves lives for a living, even though she put her own dog's life in danger? At any rate, it doesn't excuse what she did...even the best trained dogs might bolt if they see a squirrel across the street, instinct is instinct!
Thank you. Yeah I couldn't figure out what her line of work had to do with this situation either. I took that it she was trying to say I'm not stupid I'm a nurse.

There is vacant land across from her house and I think what she does is she lets the dog out to take care of business and she stands on her lawn(across the street) and watches. And that is stupid.

This is not a busy street, but cars do go up and down it. In fact we have a few drivers who go way too fast, including two teens who live up the street.

We had a stray cat coming around for awhile and bought cat food and put out water in a bowl. The cat(called him Harry) wouldn't drink out of the bowl and would only drink out of the pool...LOL.

I watched him like a Mother Hen afraid he would fall into the pool. He wasn't even my cat, so I don't get how people can be so careless with their own pets.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:25 AM

70 posts, read 209,885 times
Maybe she just want to say she was busy with her working, and let the dog out.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
So she lets her untrained dog run loose and she calls her dog the idiot?

Sounds like a real winner, there. "Let me put my pet's life at risk because I can't be bothered to train him or leash him if untrained and let me also cause problems for any random person who might hit my dog because I'm a moron."

And if you had hit her dog, I'll bet she would have been screaming at you, too.

I can't stand people sometimes.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,163 times
The more I get to know some people, the more I love my dogs

Thanks for not hitting the poor unleashed dog. Maybe next time she'll be in the street...I won't finish that sentence. (HA!)

Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM

19,562 posts, read 9,570,260 times
I just thought of one... "I'm an ER Nurse, if someone hurts my dog, I can fix it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs