Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

We have always had mastiffs and babies. Not even th ehint of a problem. Of course you have to watch them, but you need to watch babies with any pet. Our matiffs have always been unbelievably gental and laid back. They are very low energy dogs.

Now with toddlers there is one problem. Those giant long constantly wagging tails are right at head/face level. OUr kids used to wear their bicycle helmets when they played with the dogs.

Sorry I do not know anything about pitts. But that puppe does nto look much like a mastiff IMO. undoubetdly he has some in him, He heas a few mastiff features, but not much.

We did have a Harlequin Great Dane that got all freaky around the babies and we had to sell him to a single guy. The mastiffs have all been great though. (All of two mstaiff during the advent of 5 babies.

A down side of giant dogs is they only live 8-10 years. thus, we lost our first when some of the kids were fairly young, it was tough. The second is till alive though and some of the kids are in colelge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
We are looking at getting this dog, but are also expecting a new baby in the house. We don't want a pitbull because of this and it's hard to tell if there is any pitbull in him. He is described as Mastiff Mix. What do you think?

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Mastiff | Seattle, WA | Conan URGENT

Bottom line on all the prior advice: just because others have had good luck with their dogs, that is good for them. What is good for others, is not necessarily good for you.

The general advice: don't adopt this dog until your baby is older. Babies pull dogs ears, tails, make quick moves. When in doubt, always trust your gut feeling.

You will have plenty of love and affection for and from your baby.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
If I am correct many people are missing the point that the OP does not have a baby at this point in time nor is his wife pregnant but instead they would like to try to start a family in a year or two so he is thinking ahead and is concerned about how a dog with certain breed in the mix would do with a baby/child. So as I said before I think they will have plenty of time to train a dog to have good manners, by the time a child is in the picture the dogs will be 3 or4 and settling down more then a 2 yr old dog and the OP should be more confident that it is not abreed specific issue but an individual dog issue.

And I have to ask how many of you were born into homes that already had a dog or dogs? Or had kids when you already had a dog so looking at the big picture I don't get people saying Don't get a dog now as you will not have time for a dog and a baby? really??? How did most people I know that did just that manage ?

There is a lady that comes to our dog park with her lab. When I met her she had a toddler, she was pregnant with her 2nd child AND she had a 4 month old lab puppy, some people asked is that lady crazy how will they train that puppy or have timefor him? They all survived just fine and the dog is well behaved and I have never once heard her say why did we add a dog when I was pregnant and had a toddler? The lab is 3 now.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Had a nice german landlord tell me that the only reason she would rent to me with my two dogs was that my children were already trained

My suggestion would be to train one or the other first. And I don't see pitt in the picture of the dog. May be there, just don't see it.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
Dashdog, Our family dog bit me (twice) as a baby, before my parents gave the dog away. The first time my mom didn't witness it, the second time I was playing on the floor quietly and the dog approached me and bit me on the face before my mom could intervene. The dog did fine with my older brothers as toddlers, but they were in the home first. (My brothers repeated the tale of how it was my fault that they lost their beloved dog, my entire childhood...)

We also adopted an amazing golden retriever from a couple with a young family, when the wife was pregnant. It worked out well for us, she was with us for 10 years, before dying of old age.

Do these situations work out? Of course. But it is incredibly common for dogs to end up at the pound, with a rescue, or for sale on Craigslist, when new parents get overwhelmed with the realities of taking care of an infant and a dog, let alone the situations where a dog acts out when their attention disappears. A family that is experienced and committed would be taking on quite alot, in this case the OP does have concerns from the start.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
If I am correct many people are missing the point that the OP does not have a baby at this point in time nor is his wife pregnant but instead they would like to try to start a family in a year or two so he is thinking ahead and is concerned about how a dog with certain breed in the mix would do with a baby/child. So as I said before I think they will have plenty of time to train a dog to have good manners, by the time a child is in the picture the dogs will be 3 or4 and settling down more then a 2 yr old dog and the OP should be more confident that it is not abreed specific issue but an individual dog issue.

And I have to ask how many of you were born into homes that already had a dog or dogs? Or had kids when you already had a dog so looking at the big picture I don't get people saying Don't get a dog now as you will not have time for a dog and a baby? really??? How did most people I know that did just that manage ?

There is a lady that comes to our dog park with her lab. When I met her she had a toddler, she was pregnant with her 2nd child AND she had a 4 month old lab puppy, some people asked is that lady crazy how will they train that puppy or have timefor him? They all survived just fine and the dog is well behaved and I have never once heard her say why did we add a dog when I was pregnant and had a toddler? The lab is 3 now.

It sure does sound like the OP is expecting a baby Quoting the OP: "We are looking at getting this dog, but are also expecting a new baby in the house." And yes, they are very concerned about breed characteristics.

Those are TWO excellent reasons not to get this particular dog.

A. They already have concerns
B. The baby must come first
C. Anectodal advice/comments outside of personal experience from "a friend of my cousin said this....", or "my neighbor's daughter in NY had this type of dog .....", without legitimate first hand experience, or a bona fide dog training background, means nothing and can be dangerous
D. There ARE breeds with specific characteristics ... whether bred for those characteristics, or acquired from treatment by previous unstable owners. Even a Lab or a Golden Retriever or dog of any age with unknown history is capable of being jealous of a baby or a toddler and can react quickly and badly if struck, pinched, hit in the face/eye, stepped on while sleeping, etc.

Bringing a baby into the home after the dog has been "top dog" and accustomed to all the attention, may be irresponsible and not adviseable.

Many people get a dog for the wrong reasons and the wrong timing. Consult a reputable breeder or dog trainer.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM

315 posts, read 563,957 times
A "Pitbull" isn't even a breed. Dogs known as Pitbulls are dogs usually mixed Staffordshire terriers, Dogo Argentinos, American Bulldogs, etc. People even label purebreds as such because most of them have no idea what they're talking about, especially the media and the other people that spread BS stats about Pits being aggressive, bad with dogs, bad with kids, etc.

If you are going to be fearful of your own dog, I am sorry, I would say don't get it. Dogs pick up on fear, and he seems like a beautiful dog, and he doesn't deserve that. Please try to educate yourself on a breed before getting one. The media hypes up stories of pitbulls and causes public hysteria. They also did this with Dobies, Rotties, and Boxers. I have met nothing but nice Pitbulls. I know a pittie-dog named "Bam Bam". His tail physically hurts you when he wags it, which is ALL the time, because he's such a goofy happy mushball. He is very muscular and a bit menacing looking to people with a fear of pitbulls but I haven't met many dogs nearly as happy as him.

I remember reading a story about a dog killing a baby, and the picture they had was a pitbull on the article. I read further into the article only to find out it was a Golden/Lab Mix of some sort. They used a stock photo of a pitty for a completely different dog...absolutely disgusting. That is why many everyone is misinformed about the breeds classified as a "pitbull".

Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post

I remember reading a story about a dog killing a baby, and the picture they had was a pitbull on the article. I read further into the article only to find out it was a Golden/Lab Mix of some sort. They used a stock photo of a pitty for a completely different dog...absolutely disgusting. That is why many everyone is misinformed about the breeds classified as a "pitbull".
That's the truth. I saw it too. And it is disgusting.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM

315 posts, read 563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's the truth. I saw it too. And it is disgusting.
Thanks, I almost posted it but I couldn't find the exact article Glad to find someone to verify that I am not crazy.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Quilterchick maybe you missed this post by the OP? as he says the plan for a baby is in a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
My wife grew up with big dogs, but I've never had one. Also, the plan for the baby is within the next year or two, so it's not like the baby will be arriving within the next few months.

We tend to fear what we do not know. His wife sees something in this dog and I have learned to always trust my gut feelings and when I see that something in a dog I know that is my dog and that is the dog I get and my dogs develop very strong bonds to me yet they are willing to accept others even kids just fine. Even my Queen Jazz loved babys, toddlers and all kids. OP does not have experience with large dogs but if they got a dog by the time a baby arrived he might feel a lot more confident and not have the worries. I am not saying he is wrong to question it but rather feel it is just that lack of experience and then listening to media hype about certain breeds. And I do know I have read it in several places that despite what many think Golden retrievers are responsible for many dog bits yet the media does not hype that so people feel oh they are safe with kids , Cockers can be big biters too yet people seem to feel they are fantastic family dogs .Any dog can bite a kid and being I do not know the OP or the dog they are speaking of I do not feel I can say do not get That dog or even a dog at this time of your life.

I grew up with dogs and had great experiences and am thankful I was born into a home with dogs, my profile photos shows me as a toddler sitting in a whelping box with puppies. The mom was so tolerant of kids and let even toddlers handle her pups. All the neighborhood kids would come watch as she gave birth and she was fine with it and even let kids touch the newborns.

I did get bit by the other dog who was a grumpy dog that was not overly fond of kids but it was because I snuck up on him and yelled boo so yeah he turned and bit my knee. It was no big deal he did not maul me nor did I suffer any mental issues from it. My parents did not make a big deal of it my mom cleaned the wound told me why I got bit and I learned not to sneak up and yell boo at a dog and life went on. I was never afraid of any dog even that old grumpy one and played with him after the bite without any problem.

I also believe many dogs bites would be avoided if adults learned to read the stress signals dogs send out and stepped in to remove the dog instead of laughing and saying isn't that cute as junior annoys the dog. Dogs amaze me that they are as tolerant as they are. I also feel people need to stop punishing a dog for growling as that is a dogs way of saying " back off I do not like this" . Extinguish that growl by punishing a dog for growling and you may soon be claiming the dog bit for no reason.Yet had you bothered to ever learn about a dogs language despite the dog now not growling it is still sending out many other signs that are screaming I am stressed Back OFF so yes there are warnings we as humans just need to learn to speak the language.

I just know most of my friends were born into homes with dogs and had dogs when they had kids and everyone survived just fine so sorry but I am not of the mindset that some are that it is not a good idea to have a baby or toddler and a dog or dogs at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs