Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Let it cool and pour it over his food?
You could do that or you could mix it with his water or just give it to him straight. You don't need to heat chicken broth from a can. It's already cooked. People reheat it just to make it taste better. If you do reheat it, I'd definitely let it cool down.

I'd opt for straight. Just offer it regularly throughout the day. He needs liquids more often than he eats meals anyway. If you pour it over his food, you could create a picky monster who refuses to eat his food without chicken broth even when he's feeling better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Artie seems happy enough on the balcony. I was just saying if his respiratory system is challenged, I wouldn't exert too much energy. He's in recovery. He can put up with the wrinkled grey haired lady for a week.

In all seriousness, I'd do the chicken broth because electrolytes are important. Plus, chicken broth has water in it and it's more enticing than water. Artie sounds like the kind of dude who needs to be enticed.
He *does* need to be enticed. Always. ALWAYS! And that's why we'll be dining al fresco again tonight, because sir prefers it.

I'll make some broth and let it cool so that I can pour it on sir's food.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
You could also mix the broth with water, even a lot of water and only a small amount of broth. Just a small amount of chicken flavor should get him drinking it all.

Shermyn loves milk, so when he had a cold and I needed to keep him well-hydrated, I put a little bit of skim milk in his water, and he lapped it up almost by the gallon.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Got it, fluid pushers! Thank you!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
He *does* need to be enticed. Always. ALWAYS! And that's why we'll be dining al fresco again tonight, because sir prefers it.

I'll make some broth and let it cool so that I can pour it on sir's food.
LOL - maybe sir needs his water in a glass with ice. I had an Aussie who loved to drink ice water out of a glass. Anytime I got myself a glass of water she would look at me with adorable puppy eyes until I gave her my glass and had to go get another one for me. I think she was confused about who was the dog and who was the person.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
LOL - maybe sir needs his water in a glass with ice. I had an Aussie who loved to drink ice water out of a glass. Anytime I got myself a glass of water she would look at me with adorable puppy eyes until I gave her my glass and had to go get another one for me. I think she was confused about who was the dog and who was the person.
That's what I need -- more diva qualities from my furry man.

Actually, he doesn't like ice. He takes his scotch neat.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Did they do a chest x-ray?

Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Did they do a chest x-ray?
The vet said something about it early on. Then she listened to his lungs and she said that they were perfectly clear. She didn't mention the x-ray again and, honestly, there was so much going on -- history to talk about, current stuff to talk about, temperature being taken, blood being drawn, discussion about the blood panel and vaccines, and on and on and on and on -- that I forgot about it. I'm guessing that she didn't -- forget, that is -- but decided not to because she heard his lungs.

I just wrote it down. When they call me tomorrow, I'll ask them about it. (I hope I remember to look at the note. I'm all over the map these last few days.)

Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
canned chicken broth is worriesome for me because of all of the sodium in it..... when I need to use something like that, I buy the box of chicken stock that has no salt added..... it still has SOME sodium, but NOTHING like regular or even low-salt broth or regular stock......

hope he is feeling better!!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
The vet said something about it early on. Then she listened to his lungs and she said that they were perfectly clear. She didn't mention the x-ray again and, honestly, there was so much going on -- history to talk about, current stuff to talk about, temperature being taken, blood being drawn, discussion about the blood panel and vaccines, and on and on and on and on -- that I forgot about it. I'm guessing that she didn't -- forget, that is -- but decided not to because she heard his lungs.

I just wrote it down. When they call me tomorrow, I'll ask them about it. (I hope I remember to look at the note. I'm all over the map these last few days.)
I know it costs, but I think after our experiences with Jimmy and Hallie, it's always good to have a complete set of pictures for dogs over the age of...well, double digits. If nothing else, it rules out a whole lot of things you might worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs