Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times

Advertisements

My dog is normally a very clean animal, and doesn't have much odor in and of herself. Generally, she'll smell like she needs a bath about every three or four months, and in between she gets daily combings and toothbrushings. She keeps herself very clean in between baths.

The problem is this: I've recently started taking her in once a week for doggie daycamp. She always comes home reeking of stinky dog smell from her playmates. I can't bathe her every week, or have her groomed every week, so what can I do to get the smell of other dogs off her? I don't want to stop taking her to camp because she dearly loves it so much.

Someone did mention that I could rub her down with baby wipes when she comes home, or to rub her all over with a dryer sheet, but I'm not sure what that would do to her skin/fur.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I've used baby wipes (the moist ones) after my furry guy's been in the rain and has "wet dog smell" -- it works like a charm. He smells like a freshly bathed baby afterwards.

As for what it does to fur and skin, I figured that if it's safe for a baby's skin, it's safe for the doggie's fur and skin too. I hope that was a safe assumption, but I think it was because they actually make the exact same moist wipes for dogs -- but charge three times the price.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've used baby wipes (the moist ones) after my furry guy's been in the rain and has "wet dog smell" -- it works like a charm. He smells like a freshly bathed baby afterwards.

As for what it does to fur and skin, I figured that if it's safe for a baby's skin, it's safe for the doggie's fur and skin too. I hope that was a safe assumption, but I think it was because they actually make the exact same moist wipes for dogs -- but charge three times the price.
Great, good to hear someone has used them with success! I will try that and see what happens. She does soooo love her smelly playmates I can't stop letting her go to camp

Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Febreze? lol Or rubbing in some baking soda into the fur and them brushing it out. I had a terrier poodle mix. I never needed to bath her very often, but sometimes I would rub her all over with a damp facecloth. Her fur would feel clean (slippery) when it dried.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 691 times
My 4 month old pit stinks no matter what I do, I've tried all different dog shampoos I've even tried baby shampoo and baby lotion, I've put baking soda on him and rubbed it in and he still has an odor. I wash his bedding everyday. What can I do to stop him from stinking?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
It may be those glands in his or her butt. Does it kind of smell like fish? Some dogs have problems with those glands. You can have a groomer squeeze them regularly, or learn to do it yourself, but you have to put your fingers inside the dog's butt to do it. We have a dog with this problem. My solution is to put her in a different room than me, but she is not my dog, so I have that option.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit lover View Post
My 4 month old pit stinks no matter what I do, I've tried all different dog shampoos I've even tried baby shampoo and baby lotion, I've put baking soda on him and rubbed it in and he still has an odor. I wash his bedding everyday. What can I do to stop him from stinking?
When was the last time he was at the vet? Dog sometimes have a doggy odor but shouldn't stink. Maybe he has an ear infection or something. Have the vet check his mouth maybe there is something going on with his teeth (but I doubt it). Have you had dogs before or is this your first one? Maybe it's just normal doggy odor?? Is he laying in something when he's outside?

If it were an anal gland problem which was referenced in the post above mine you would know it. Usually smaller dogs are the ones with anal gland issues. I'd be very surprised that a 4 month puppy would have any anal gland problems. Also for anyone who is reading his please do not try to express them yourself unless the vet has shown you how to do it. You could injure your dog.

I don't think the baking soda will help and may irritate his skin and cause itching. I wouldn't use it.

I'd switch his food to a high quality grain free food if he's not on it already. Give the new food a month or so and see if it helps. Be sure and transition to the new food gradually (mix 3/4 old food to 1/4 new food and gradually increase the amount of new food you are giving). If you don't you can end up with bad digestive issues.

It's unusual for a small puppy to have an odor problem.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
We have found that some dog foods cause our dogs to stink, an oily smell. We tried a few different ones and eventually found a couple of winners.

Also, one of our dogs releases a smell when fearful which is rare, like if the UPS man has come and pounded on the door when we aren't home. It is an odor that a wipe down won't help.

I would never use Febreze or any chemicals to wipe down our dogs. Baking soda would be fine though. Vinegar can be helpful. Our yellow lab is sensitive to many things, if not everything.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Febreze doesn't have any harsh chemicals in their formula. And I've sprayed my clothing while wearing it.

I also think that a mild solution of Nature's Miracle would work. In case some of that stinky smell was dog poo and urine on the dog's paws and coat from playing in a crowded dog play area. It's also natural and with enzymes that break down urine and poo.

BTW for my dogs, all their towels are brown in colour so that they don't show the dirt. The humans in the household get the white and brighter coloured ones.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Febreze doesn't have any harsh chemicals in their formula. And I've sprayed my clothing while wearing it.
I would NOT spray Febreze on the dog. It's fine to use on their bedding. It's not supposed to be applied directly to the skin. It could irritate their skin especially if used repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs