Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times

Advertisements

I've switched from ToTW now to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and while I think the Wilderness is overpriced at many places I must sayy my dogs coats look absolutely outstanding now including the one who always looked all nappy and oily on other foods.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 03-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: member requested full name of food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Doesn't make it any better.
I didn't say that. I only said "it wasn't from the Vet. Everywhere I go and inquire about their dog food, the pet supply place thinks their food is better than what I have him on. For instance, a pet store I was at recently sold the whole line of Fromm. I didn't know that line had 15-20 different formulas. The owner looked up mine and told me info about the bad ingredients of what mine has in it. I have read the ingredients and pretty much agreed to what he said. I have some samples that I got from another store since he didn't have samples, and soon I will see if my dog will like it. I don't think I'll be able to get it locally since where I saw it was out of town. Anyways, my Vet (who I thoroughly trust) thinks I should pick a food and stick with it. Last time I switched him he got bloody stools right away.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't say that. I only said "it wasn't from the Vet. Everywhere I go and inquire about their dog food, the pet supply place thinks their food is better than what I have him on. For instance, a pet store I was at recently sold the whole line of Fromm. I didn't know that line had 15-20 different formulas. The owner looked up mine and told me info about the bad ingredients of what mine has in it. I have read the ingredients and pretty much agreed to what he said. I have some samples that I got from another store since he didn't have samples, and soon I will see if my dog will like it. I don't think I'll be able to get it locally since where I saw it was out of town. Anyways, my Vet (who I thoroughly trust) thinks I should pick a food and stick with it. Last time I switched him he got bloody stools right away.
Yep everyone wants to make a sale and many don't do their own research but simply go by whatever their favorite sales reps pitch was. It bugs me to see othewise intelligent people buy into information from such biased sources as if it was gosp.el

Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Blue Buffalo and Wellness....(small breed)

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Premium Edge Healthy Weight I. I have an overweight Great Dane and a normal weight Great Dane, and I wanted to keep both dogs on the same food. The Premium Edge is a slightly reduced calorie dog food, but still high enough calorie that my normal weight Dane keeps her weight up on it. I did intensive research on the foods.

I wanted something with no corn, wheat, or soy. I also wanted a high protein dog food so my fat Dane would feel full. A lot of weight control dog foods are high carb and full of low quality filler. This food is 44% protein with meat as the #1 ingredient. It's also very affordable, only $47/35 lb bag with free shipping. It gets a 5 star rating on Dog Food Advisor. Just because a dog food is super expensive doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Blue Buffalo is overrated, IMO. I tried the girls on it for a week or two and their farts cleared the room

Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
You are doing the right thing to talk to people, ask questions, and try samples. Also, your vet is correct. When you find a food that works for you, stick with it. And I think someone has mentioned his already -- any changes you make need to be made gradually, over a couple weeks, by mixing with the food he's eating now, then slowly increasing the new food and decreasing the old until he's switched over. Maybe you are already doing that, but it's important so I wanted to reiterate. Also, some dogs have sensitive stomachs.
Is yours one with a sensitive stomach? Have you tried giving him probiotics?

Good luck. I wish you success. This can be a confusing task.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yep everyone wants to make a sale and many don't do their own research but simply go by whatever their favorite sales reps pitch was. It bugs me to see othewise intelligent people buy into information from such biased sources as if it was gosp.el
Where I was at, the locally owned store only sold Fromm dog and cat food. He had other brands which were of high quality like grain free. He believed in the Fromm products and made me a believer too. Now only if my dog would believe in it then I will have it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You are doing the right thing to talk to people, ask questions, and try samples. Also, your vet is correct. When you find a food that works for you, stick with it. And I think someone has mentioned his already -- any changes you make need to be made gradually, over a couple weeks, by mixing with the food he's eating now, then slowly increasing the new food and decreasing the old until he's switched over. Maybe you are already doing that, but it's important so I wanted to reiterate. Also, some dogs have sensitive stomachs.
Is yours one with a sensitive stomach? Have you tried giving him probiotics?

Good luck. I wish you success. This can be a confusing task.
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Royal Canine works but....he won't eat unless you play ball with him and giving him a bit of a treat (very tiny of course) or putting something on his food or mixing it in it. So, I will give Fromm a chance. He doesn't have a sensitive stomach, but has been a picky eater since a pup. Never given him probiotics...only yogurt.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 PM

Just to clairify...
I was suggesting that sellers should better review their products objectively before stocking them rather than taking the word of any sales rep at face value.

I have noticed a remarkable increase in the general public taking interest and trying to educate themselves in order to buy actual quality foods rather than just going with whatever or whatever costs the most. I find this very encouraging!

I hope you are able to find something that works best for your dog soon!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Just to clairify...
I was suggesting that sellers should better review their products objectively before stocking them rather than taking the word of any sales rep at face value.

I have noticed a remarkable increase in the general public taking interest and trying to educate themselves in order to buy actual quality foods rather than just going with whatever or whatever costs the most. I find this very encouraging!

I hope you are able to find something that works best for your dog soon!
Good advice.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:44 PM

398 posts, read 984,968 times
Blue Buffalo Wilderness - the salmon one. Dog = small breed.

We've tried a number of different brands, including various types of blue buffalo - ended up on this one because this is what my dog seems to be agree with mostly. His hair is great, allergies are down, no signs of joint issues which he seemed to have a while ago when on another diet (not saying this is what prevented it, but haven't seem it re-appear since we started him back on this). Overall, despite the high price, we're happy with blue buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs