Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

I believe that it's definately nurture over nature and that with chows, you need a thorough understanding of the breed. Breeding also has to do with temperment. I have a 4 month old chow and she's wonderful. She loves meeting other dogs and new people, however she can sense when individuals are not dog people (out of all the people I've had her meet, she's only been wary of my brother, she wouldn't go near him if she didn't have to). I got her from a breeder here in Ohio where I live and their dogs were wonderful. They breed for temperment and have many testimonials of their pups being amazing ambassadors for the breed. They socialize their pups from day one and all of their sires and dams are amazing. I was in kennel with my puppy at the breeders when she was two weeks old and her mother didn't have a care in the world that we were in there.

[mod]Removed breeder's website info[/mod]

Last edited by leorah; 08-03-2008 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
Default Chow Chow

I am looking for a chow chow also, I had two and they were the best watch dogs I have ever seen, they are the king of the jungle and don't take no "mess". One of mine got old, contracted arthritis and died and the other was hit by a car. I am looking for a puppy, it's best to get one brand new, they don't do well when they leave their original owner and get with you after two years or more. Let me know if you find one, I want one that's red/golden colored. Not interested in a black one, they look too evil.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,378 times
My cousins had two chows and bred them (why?????) and neither had particularly good temperments. They sold the pups and I heard the parents and pups all had serious behavior problems, in fact, my cousins had to put theirs down because they had young children at the time and the dogs had bitten their children a few times.

I write this to say that above is probably one of the worst case scenarios for dogs (regardless of breed). Nobody except very educated and experienced people with the welfare of their animals and the people who adopt them should be breeding IMO. There are too many unwanted animals due to inappropriate and accidental breeding. If you are a newbie and have your heart set on a chow, a reputable breeder can help you determine if this is the dog for you. Many don't mind if you make a trip to see their dogs even if they don't have any available.

I've never had a Chow, but there was one in our neighborhood called Lamb chop and he was the cutest pup I had ever seen. I never had a bad experience with him and I was a kid then. I think like any dog, you have to do your research and determine where you live and what your lifestyle is and see if a dog fits and then figure out what kind of dog is best for you. If you are shopping for a condo and will be doing the communal living thing I would suggest considering a dog that is going to be very easy going, extremely friendly and quiet (my sister has an extremely vocal lab in a condo and that has been hard) because not all people love dogs. If you wind up with a dog that is viewed as a problem in your building that can lead to big problems for you and your dog.

As a self proclaimed work-aholic maybe you might consider a cat? Low maintenance (compared to dogs - no walks etc), quiet and they are wonderful companions too. Good luck!

Last edited by Calidreemer; 09-12-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,396 times
We had two Chow Chows. A male and female about a year apart in age. They both come to live with us when they were just 5 weeks old. If you socialize them, they will be real easy around people. My male was just a big Teddy Bear. Young children would come up and wrap their arms around him and he loved it. Totally freaked out the parents though. My white female Chow didn't seem to like kids too much. As long as I was there with her she wouldn't mind being petted. She did have an attitude problem. I feel like making a woman joke here but better not. They both lived to be 13 years old. I had to put them down about a year apart a couple of years ago. Broke my heart. We now have Poms. They make much better traveling dogs. Don't get any kind of pet if you're not planning on spending several hours a day with them.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Not my favorite breed: very protective (read aggressive to outsiders) of the family.

If you MUST have a chow, either consider rescue or go to some dog shows and talk to the exhibitors (after their classes). That's where reputable breeders are, not online, not in the paper. And remember, just about anyone can get animals with AKC papers, they're meaningless. And UKC (United Kennel Club) certification is even more dubious. The AKC has no authority over breeders. The breed clubs (Chow Chow Club of the US) also have breeder referrals.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 AM

18,731 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I'm very drawn to Chow faces, after having a Katrina rescue Chow as an overnight dog during my visit to Best Friends.
I'd go for adopting a chow mix, maybe somewhat older so the dog would be less energetic than a pup. Mutts are the best! Maybe check petfinder and enter "chow," and you'll get a listing of chows and chow mixes both.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:40 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
My sons friend has one....if anyone goes near the house....... people, other dogs, cats, the dog will go for the kill! Highly protective. Only family members can intereact with the dog! That is the only breed I am afraid of.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
ok so it's starting to sink in that maybe a chow is not the dog for me..sigh...I really had my heart set on one, but if it means possible severe behavioral problems, then I need to start putting the dogs needs before my own. I would hate to have to put him down because he bit a family member or stranger or something.

Thanks everyone for the vital info. VERY much appreciated.
If you work alot and are not around it is not even fair maybe to get a dog. Dogs are pack animals and hate to be left alone alot. Unless you were to get two and they could keep each other company.
Even then it would not be a wise choice in your situation. Sounds like two cats might be a better choice for you.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:29 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,316 times
Also, something to consider...you mention that you live in a condo, make sure no matter what type of dog you consider that it is allowed. Some places actually consider chows an "agressive breed" (let me say that I hate this term in reference to ANY breed) and I haven't run across alot of places that discriminate against chows, but I have seen some.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,456 times
Google Chow Chow Club, Inc. that is the name of the National parent club for Chows there you will find club members who breed Chows then you can contact them to see who has puppies available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs