Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 50,964 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I have a 8 month old yorkie, male we have had him for about 3 months and the previous owner said he used pee pads perfectly, well we have not gotten him to use them! Instead he decides to go on our bed in our floors as directly next to the pee pad!! We are at our wits end!! Please help!!! And we can't take him outside to potty because of the neighbors vicious dog so that is out of the question! We need pee pad training help! We've tried treats prasing crating him up and the eliminate here stuff! It's not working!! He's not fixed if that matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I considered getting one of these for my dog before I got her, but she was 5 years old and house-trained and would have nothing to do with potty pads. At any rate, I think this might work for you. It comes with a training system:

Modern Puppies - Potty Training a Puppy

Old 12-15-2014, 10:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
5 months old is Still a Baby! Then take into consideration New environment. Whole new life style. How Come You didn't follow up with the training? Go back to the beginning TAKE him to the Pad/ Litterbox Praise him when he does it correct. BTW Stop using those Smelly Pads! Newspaper in a Litter pan works great! When you cant watch him Crate him.
Put a litter pan on 1 side of the crate & a nice WASHABLE bed on the other! But mostly Watch Watch Watch

Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 AM

He's almost9 months old, not 5 months, we continued the training but it just seems like he just doesn't want to use them! He would rather jump on our bed and pee on the bed! We use pee pads because my mother in law and family uses them for their dogs, which brings me to another point, he uses the pee pads at my mother in laws house! No issues!

Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
if he is not housebroken, then he doesn't deserve to have the run of your house. You can block him into one area of a room, or go purchase a small exercise pen and keep him confined.
A problem with very little dogs is that they "go" in very little amounts, and sometimes you will miss seeing them do it, and miss finding it at all. That is why they can not be allowed to roam willy nilly through out your house.

As the human, you must go backwards and treat him just like you would an 8 wk old puppy that knows nothing.... he drinks, he must be placed on the pads. He eats, he must be watched closely for him to eliminate. When he does either correctly- lots of praise right there, right then. When he begins to make a mistake, he needs to be stopped and taken to the correct spot.

But... I am not a fan of teaching a dog of any size that it is ok to potty in my home. I wouldn't do it with a small dog or a big dog. Manners are manners.

Here is an exercise pen you can use. 5 Things To Know About Exercise Pens For Dogs

Old 12-16-2014, 07:04 AM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
Yeah, boy, if you can't take the dog outside to relieve itself, I don't know what to say. Is there no way for you to take the dog out for walks, both for exercise and to relieve itself? Some of the behaviour sounds like it could be anxiety, all dogs, no matter how small, need exercise and play to work off excess energy. That could be a large component of this issue.

I am of the opinion, and I know what opinions are like, that pad training is basically telling the dog that it is OK to relieve itself indoors. Once you have done that, it is hard to retrain them.

That being said, are you allowing free access to water and food? If so, try to limit the amount of food and especially water and also, the time that food and water is available. Put the dog on a schedule, morning food, access to water and give it a bit, then it is time to potty. Any food and water that is left is then put out of reach, with only a few ice cubes in the water bowl. Evening, before the dog eats, give it exercise and play, then dinner and water. Then time to potty after 1/2 hour or hour. No food or water available after this. Before bed, another potty break. Crate the dog when no one is home, crate it at night, and do no allow it free access to your home until it has relieved itself.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Yorkies are really terrible with house training. Ours just stopped going in the house this past year-she is 6. She was doing great until recently, but I suspect it had to do with a shelter dog we took in.

Might I suggest really cheap area rugs, a crate, and keep lots of floor cleaner handy? If you really like your bed, keep him out of your bedroom. I'm sorry.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Both of neighbors around us have huge dogs that have already come after him so no him going outside is not an option. He goes to my mother in laws every evening and runs and plays in her yard with her toy poodle. He gets crated at night and while we are not home he doesn't use the potty in his crate and we always sit him on the pee pad as soon as we get home and he just stands there looking at us and when he gets off the pee pad he just goes... There isn't one specific area he goes either it's all over the house! We tried the puppy play pen things and he just jumps over them or climbs them. Baby gates and gates in general done work unless they are 4ft tall at least with no hole for him to climb. I want to try to train him for outside, I'm just not sure how it will work with the neighbors dogs

Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 AM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
yorkies are terrible with housetraining. Also, maybe he's bored because you won't take him outside. Why would you get a dog if you can't even take him outside "because of the neighbor's vicious dog?"

Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Sounds like your Not cleaning the House very well. Vinegar Cheap! I even use in in the carpet shampooer!

Don't turn him loose in the home tie him 2 you. Crate him when you cant. When he doesn't go pick him up & put him in the crate then try again in 30 mins Repeat til he does go! BTW this is a 90 day process at least. Dogs have short term & long term memories. You want house training to last a lifetime them plan KEEP praising Keep watching at least 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs