Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times

Advertisements

^^^Nope, you're not getting it. There are lots of independent rescues that say they have dogs, people apply, and get no response. This has happened to lots of people. The private, breed-specific rescues take the breed they want out of the Humane Society shelters...they leave the elderly dogs & the pit bulls behind. Then they advertise dogs, do not respond, if they respond it is as complicated as adopting a child & then want to charge "re-homing" fees, as much as $500. The Humane Society here charges around $100, and the dogs are spayed or neutered, microchipped, & you are given a certicate for a free checkup for the dog with a local vet...a pretty good deal, if you can find a dog there.

I'm in the western USA, can only speak for what is happening here. No proselytizing, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:32 PM

234 posts, read 288,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
^^^Nope, you're not getting it. There are lots of independent rescues that say they have dogs, people apply, and get no response. This has happened to lots of people. The private, breed-specific rescues take the breed they want out of the Humane Society shelters...they leave the elderly dogs & the pit bulls behind. Then they advertise dogs, do not respond, if they respond it is as complicated as adopting a child & then want to charge "re-homing" fees, as much as $500. The Humane Society here charges around $100, and the dogs are spayed or neutered, microchipped, & you are given a certicate for a free checkup for the dog with a local vet...a pretty good deal, if you can find a dog there.

I'm in the western USA, can only speak for what is happening here. No proselytizing, please.
I cannot speak to what is happening in your area specifically. My experience in the south has been as I have described it. I adopted my dog from a "breed specific" rescue group in the greater metroplex area. They are all volunteers with a lot going on their lives, but they do wonderful work. The people I dealt with helped me wait for the right dog for me and my home, and once she came along, I adopted her and happily paid the relatively small fee. These folks spay/neuter, treat for heart worms and even surgeries for serious problems. They also rescue any dog that is part "breed specific," i.e. mixed with the breed they specifically address. I am very grateful to these folks, and I even donated a few extra hundred dollars to their non-profit corporation to help them continue the fine work they do. I wanted to be a foster, but my individual situation would not allow it.

Bottom line: This is all about the animal, and anyone wishing to adopt needs to seriously consider whether or not they have the financial means, the time, and the loving home an animal requires. If any of these things are absent, then do NOT adopt an animal.

Finally, if people did not adopt an animal because they could not properly provide for it, then their would not be any animals at the Humane Society, and everyone could go home. It is irresponsible adopters and immoral breeders who cause so many animals to suffer miserable lives and end up being euthanised.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:

YOU are the one who is not getting it. First of all the the Humane Society shelters are private organizations, just like the smaller, breed specific groups. When they get a pure bred or what is likely a pure bred dog it is the HS who contacts the breed specific groups and asks them to take it if they can. The breed specific rescues can not just come in to the shelter run by an all breed group and take dogs. If your local HS charges just $100 for a dog they can only do so because they have enough in grants and donations to cover the true costs of the needed care so what you are getting is a subsidized animal. Their true cost is like to be anywhere from a bare minimum of $150.00 for a dog in good health with no extra care needed, on up to maybe $250 -300, depending on local vet and spay/neuter costs.

Call your local vet and ask them what it would cost you for vaccines, spay/neuter, fecal exam, dewormer, HW test, monthly HW preventative, monthly flea & tick control, microchip, etc. if you get a free puppy from somewhere and it needs all those things. You're probably looking at 4 to 6 hundred, maybe a bit less if they offer some sort of package deal for everything.

In addition to the direct costs of care for each animal they also have such expenses as crates, x-pens, collars, leashes, harnesses, toys, etc., and when you see a group holding an adoption event at your local Petsmart or Petco they may also have canopies, tables and chairs, the gas to get critters, people and supplies to and from the event, copier paper and ink cartridges to print flyers, applications, contracts, etc. They probably paid someone to design and provide tech support their website, telephone service, a bank account, someone to prepare tax records, liability insurance, etc. Bigger organizations that have a physical shelter, rather than just foster homes, have a least a few paid staffers, rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, cleaning supplies and so on. Smaller, foster based groups, common in rural areas, may spent a lot on transporting many animals to bigger groups in larger urban areas and either reimburse volunteers at a rate higher than allowed as a deduction by the IRS for volunteer miles (which is only 14 cents a mile) for their expenses or opt to have a van of some sort.

Get it?

Old 04-11-2015, 03:09 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I understand that most "rescues" are private individuals banding together to save, generally, a specific breed of dog. I understand it will take time to respond, I understand the costs involved (in some cases it sounds like too little), what I don't understand is when they say "yes" you can adopt, but don't tell you what the process is for a long distance adoption!!!!!

That's what is bugging me. The local rescue has told the WA rescue that I am perfect for the adoption, I have the perfect environment for the breed, especially since I have the same breed in the house already. But their not answering the specific questions, I have no idea what to do. For comparison, it would be like an employee saying you are hired, but not telling you when to start.

I may just say the hell with this and go back to the breeder of the dog I currently have, and get in line for another pup. I prefer to take a 1-2 year old from a rescue....but

Old 04-11-2015, 03:34 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
What this thread and my life experience has taught me:
-People who run these rescues are better more loving animal owners than the rest of us.
-It is not only expensive to rescue a dog but also a hassle. Not to mention being made to feel inferior, unloving and not good enough to own one of these magical rescues.

No thanks, I'll go to the humane society or a reputable breeder all day. I am a loving animal owner with kids and a fenced yard, no need to be interrogated.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
What this thread and my life experience has taught me:
-People who run these rescues are better more loving animal owners than the rest of us.
-It is not only expensive to rescue a dog but also a hassle. Not to mention being made to feel inferior, unloving and not good enough to own one of these magical rescues.

No thanks, I'll go to the humane society or a reputable breeder all day. I am a loving animal owner with kids and a fenced yard, no need to be interrogated.
^^^Good summation of the problem being discussed in this thread, & I completely agree.

Do you *get it*, zugor? Hostile much?

BTW f5fstop, I am in Washington, so I know what you are talking about with the breed-specific, private rescues. I think they are troubled people with control issues, to the detriment of the dogs they think they are "saving".

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 04-11-2015 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:

BTW f5fstop, I am in Washington, so I know what you are talking about with the breed-specific, private rescues. I think they are troubled people with control issues, to the detriment of the dogs they think they are "saving".
You are probably correct. For example, I wrote the worker back last Wednesday, asking what the next step is, and so far, on this Sunday AM; NO REPLY!

Even the local rescue worker I have been working with is getting a bit curious. They have about 15 dogs, two appear to be perfect for me, and yet; no hurry to send them to a good family.

I'm to the point I may either change breeds (not my ideal), or just go ahead and put my name down for another pup.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 AM

234 posts, read 288,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
You are probably correct. For example, I wrote the worker back last Wednesday, asking what the next step is, and so far, on this Sunday AM; NO REPLY!

Even the local rescue worker I have been working with is getting a bit curious. They have about 15 dogs, two appear to be perfect for me, and yet; no hurry to send them to a good family.

I'm to the point I may either change breeds (not my ideal), or just go ahead and put my name down for another pup.
It is precisely this sort of thinking, i.e. "change breeds" that is part of the problem with humans being allowed to own animals. Change breeds? This is not like changing your outfit or redecorating your home. Dogs are sentient, highly intelligent beings that bond with their humans just like you and your children bond to one another. Once you bring one into your life, absent a TRUE emergency, the dog should be in its forever home. Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-12-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 04:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
I don't think f5stop is getting rid of a dog; just trying to find one. There's nothing wrong with, after looking for a dog of one breed, deciding to look for a different breed, as long as one puts some thought into the compatibility of the dog and one's lifestyle and comes up with a good match and a commitment to make it work.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_little_truth_writer View Post
It is precisely this sort of thinking, i.e. "change breeds" that is part of the problem with humans being allowed to own animals. Change breeds? This is not like changing your outfit or redecorating your home. Dogs are sentient, highly intelligent beings that bond with their humans just like you and your children bond to one another. Once you bring one into your life, absent a TRUE emergency, the dog should be in its forever home. Moderator cut: personal attack
OMG, read the thread before you respond! Do you not see that you are reading this out of context?? Please, get a grip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs