Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

Never said the police would think it. Read what I said (if yorue talking to me). I said neighbors. How can you make too big a deal about scumbags, fighting dogs, guns and drugs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
Please be careful and definitely keep a low profile. I sent you a DM Pitbullmommie. Let me know if it's any help.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Wow, you're not in a fun spot.

First off, yay Serg for thinking on your feet like that! There must have been a lot racing through your mind at that moment, and I'm glad you kept your cool and played it like you did.

(I'm talking directly to Serg above because I assume you'll be reading him the responses...)

I don't know if you need to make multiple reports - in fact, I would not do so since the other people would be falsifying their report (they had no direct knowledge as you did). No need to trump it up, just lay out the facts to the police and explain your serious concerns about your own safety.
Thanks for the advice and support. As far as having friends and family report them as well, I have decided that there really is no need for all of that, but I wasn't going to have them make false reports. The last thing I would want is to have someone get into some kind of trouble over this. I was just going to see if a few people could call in and tell them that a friend told them what this guy said, and they just wanted to make sure it was reported. But again, I'm just going to deal with it myself.

Quote:
Usually, people like this suspect the neighbors in the immediate vicinity, not the guy down the block and around the corner, so chances are they won't put two and two together.
See, I'm worried that he will think of us because he just told Serg about his dog fighting, and I'm sure that he doesn't go around giving all of that info out to just everyone. Well, actually, I guess if you're stupid enough to fight dogs, you might just be stupid enough to go around telling everyone as well. I don't know, I think he felt comfortable telling Serg because we are so young, I'm only 20 and Serg is just 21. Plus, even though Serg is a wonderful guy, he always kind of looks mad! lol! And to walk Brooklyn that day he just wore some sweat pants and a big t-shirt. Maybe all of that made the guy think that Serg would be interested in dog fighting, or at least not really care about it enough to report it?

Quote:
Also, even if you called the police right now, they're not going to roll into that house tonite, the police need to substantiate your claim somehow, maybe get a warrant, etc., so it's going to take some time from your initial complaint until any action can take place.

Don't keep driving by his house, hang back for a bit, let the memory of you, your husband and your dogs fade into memory. Walk your dogs a different way, or even skip walking for a few nights.
Yeah, I thought about that. I wish they would/ could go do something about this sooner, but because chances are they won't/ can't, I feel like I need to report this now, that way they will at least know that this is something that needs to be checked into.

I also thought that if we did drive by his house every now and then, it would give us away as the people that reported him. But, Serg just recently wrecked my car (my new car because a month ago he wrecked my old one! ) so it is in the shop, and Serg's car was in the garage. So, I don't think he knows our cars, and because we live in the same area, I don't think it would look very suspicious if we drove by every now and then. As long as we didn't do anything stupid! lol! But because we did drive by the other night, I'm going to wait to get my car back before we do that again.

Quote:
What I would be very nervous about is the possibility of them trying to steal your dogs as bait. It's horrible to think about, but you know it happens. Please, please lock your fence gates, keep all your doors and windows locked and check your locks, see if they need reinforcement. I'd also try to appear home at all times, keep my blinds down, limit unnecessary trips away from the house, just be on guard in general.
Right now we are renting, so we don't have a fenced in yard. We aren't the kind of people to ever leave our dogs outside unattended (not saying that's always a bad thing ), even for a second, so we don't have to worry about that. But I am worried about walking my dogs by myself, and leaving our dogs home alone. We take our dogs with us everywhere we can, but obviously we can't take them everywhere. And when we do have to leave them some, we put them all in their crates. Oh, and because we are renting, and about to be moving in August (thank God ) we don't have an alarm system! We always have our doors and windows closed and locked, and I'm home pretty much all day with the dogs, but if someone wanted to get in our house and steel, hurt or even kill our dogs while we weren't home, it would be pretty easy. With no alarm system, and the fact that our dogs are in their crates when we get home, who knows what could happen! The only thing that does make me feel a little better is the fact that two police officers live in our neighborhood, just a few streets down from us. And we have really nosy neighbors, that live close to us! lol! So hopefully if something were to happen, a neighbor will see it and call the police.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Guy must be a idiot saying right out fights em, unless was a undercover trying to see if you knew of a dog fighting area? I would report it if not to police to animal control so they can go in see if has pits or anything resembling a fight ring. I would watch the dogs like rivereesaid in case are out looking for bait dogs. Being right in town not think fight em right there unless a soundproof basement. To many neighbors get annoyed with loud noisy dogs.

Try baiting and have someone take dog walking near neighborhood with another not brooklyn that knows what car is and see if approached again. Have a tape recorder on so can hear statements if would happen again.
I see what you're saying, but we live in Palm Coast Florida. PC is a tiny, tiny "city" and we don't actually live right in town. Well, I guess we do, but where we live there isn't much around. Just neighborhoods, some grocery stores, fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc. We are moving back up to Jacksonville Florida (where I'm from) in August because we don't like that PC is so small and there is nothing here. We have been here for a few years because of my husband's job. We weren't planning on being here very long, and we had to find a place to live pretty quickly, so pretty much the first place we found, we rented. We have ended up having to stay longer than we originally thought though, and if we had known we were going to be here this long, we certainly would have checked out different areas/ neighborhoods, and taken a little more time finding a place. But where we are, there are a few houses and a lot of duplexes. The street we live on is mostly houses, but the streets behind us and in front of us are all duplexes for the most part, and most of those people are partying all of the time, and doing God only knows what. So, I'm sure this guys neighbors either wouldn't notice that he's fighting dogs, or wouldn't care. I don't know much about dog fighting really, but I don't think the dogs bark and make a whole lot of noise when they are fighting. I think they just try to kill each other? I could be wrong though. Oh, and we don't have basements in Florida, we have attics and I seriously doubt that they would be fighting dogs in the attic. If they are doing it at their house, I would think they just set up the pit, or ring, whatever it's called, in the house. Or maybe in the garage? I don't know, but my point is, I could definitely see how this guy could be fighting dogs and people either don't notice or just don't care. I can't even tell you how bad I want to move out of this hell hole of a city!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Geez, PBM, you are a magnet for pitbull things! Since I've known you, you have delt with attacks, bad breeders, abuse, and now dogfighting in your area to report??? You are destined to be a pitties angel, that's for sure!!! A little good humor here, so don't take offense darlin. Good Grief, at this rate, you will know everything there is to know about pitties for a pittie rescue, LOL!

I agree with everything above: the reporting, stay away, walk the dogs the other way, keep them on super safe lockdown, etc!!!!!!

Keep us posted! TAke care of Jayda, destiny, and brook!
Yeah, tell me about it. It seems never ending! To tell you the truth, I never thought I would ever come in contact with a dog fighter, or at least knowingly come in contact with a dog fighter. It probably sounds stupid, but it almost feels like this isn't really going on. It's probably just because I wasn't there with Serg when this guy told him all of this. I don't know? I'm just glad this moron told my husband and not someone else that would want to fight their dog as well or just not report it.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Firstly, lock your dogs up, dont leave them outside on a run on their own. He has shown some fancy in your dog and it wont be anything to take it. Whethre they fight or not is irrelevant, they will make "great" bait dogs.

Secondly, remember, where there are fights there are firearms and drugs. Is there a fed or local freefone that you can leave tips anonymously ? Yours and Serg's and then the dogs safety need to be #1.

Do report it though, just figure out which is the safest way to do it. DOnt walk by his house, with or without the dogs. The last thing you want is attention from them. And then when (if) they do get busted you will be labeled by the neighbors to be "one of them" because they saw you near the property.

Good luck!
I didn't even think about that! That makes sense though, good thinking! All of our close neighbors know us and our dogs, and even though they were scared of our dogs when we first moved in, they have all had 3 years to see that our dogs are not aggressive or vicious in anyway. Our close neighbors all like us and our dogs, and they know we are good owners/ people (or at least I like to think so ), so I'd like to think they would know that we wouldn't be involved in any of that. But you never know what people will think, or what crazy rumors could get started. Also, the people that live buy this guy don't know us, and because of the breed our dogs are, I'm sure a lot of people would assume that we were involved if they saw us near this guys house. So yeah, you're definitely right. I think it's best for us to just stay as far away as possible! Thanks for the post, great advice and support!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 145,993 times
Go PitBullMommie! The dog fighter definitely needs to be reported and waiting a couple of weeks is probably very smart.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Unless her dog has fighting scars, an undercover cop isn't going to think they're fighting their dogs -- cops who sniff out these type of things aren't that oblivious. I think you're making more of this than you need to. Report it and move on, and don't leave your dogs outside unsupervised. Simple as that.
Thanks for the post, and I'm sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but no I'm not making too big of a deal out of this. I haven't even done anything yet, except ask for advice. I haven't made a big deal of anything, but I will. This kind of thing is horrible and not to mention it's incredibly dangerous for the people that live around it! Think of what could happen if one of those dogs got lose and children were playing outside! I think some people (not referring to you) really don't understand what a big deal this kind of stuff is. The poor dogs that are forced to fight are abused, neglected, tortured and even killed! No dog, no living creature deserves that! These dogs could have been loving family pets, but instead they live in hell on earth! And like I said, what would happen if one of these dogs got lose? Who knows who/ what they would hurt or even kill! And then, after one of these dogs gets lose and hurts or kills someone or someones pet, it will make national news and it will be because the dog is a "pit bull", not because the dog that happens to be a "pit bull" was so severly mistreated! Then that would most likely cause the city to at least consider a ban. This could affect so many lives! I think this is something that is a huge deal and it should be made a huge deal of.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
hey,

Be careful ...Florida has werid people in general!
If anyone approaches you say that the dog bites. I always do if it's a random guy approaching me.

Glad your moving soon!

I would report it. No one can prove you reported it and cops are good about protecting the public in situations like this

Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Okay, I'm going to go call the humane society right now and see what they suggest I do. Then I'll call whoever else I need to call to report this. I will update everyone as soon as I'm done with that.

Thank you all so much for the advice and support! It really has helped make this a little easier to do. I owe you all some rep. points, I'll take care of that when I get back online! Thanks again, and again, I'll make sure to keep you all updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs