Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
hey,

Be careful ...Florida has werid people in general!
If anyone approaches you say that the dog bites. I always do if it's a random guy approaching me.

Glad your moving soon!

I would report it. No one can prove you reported it and cops are good about protecting the public in situations like this
HEY! That's not very nice! I have lived in Florida my whole life, born and raised in Jacksonville! lol! I think there are weired people everywhere, but I do know what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
HEY! That's not very nice! I have lived in Florida my whole life, born and raised in Jacksonville! lol! I think there are weired people everywhere, but I do know what you mean.
lived here 20 of my 25 years ...Florida is such a melting pot, yup werid-os!
nice to knwo there is another youngster on here ...2o! I got married at 21! ..We (hubby and i) are 25!

Keep us posted!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
lived here 20 of my 25 years ...Florida is such a melting pot, yup werid-os!
nice to knwo there is another youngster on here ...2o! I got married at 21! ..We (hubby and i) are 25!

Keep us posted!
I got married when I was 19. Some people didn't agree with it, but that's a whole different thread! But yeah, I wouldn't go back and wait to get married if I could, my husband and I are very happily married and we did what was right for us. My best friend and her husband got married when she was 18 and he was 20, they are now 25 and 27 and very happily married with two wonderful children!

By the way, I called our county humane society and they are already closed. They open at 12 noon tomorrow and close again at 4pm, so I'll just have to call when they open tomorrow. I was thinking about calling the sheriffs office, but I think I'd rather see what the humane society suggests I do before I call the police.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,678 times
Default Pbm

I think Riveree gave you some good advice, along with a lot of others.

The worry you have is with YOUR dogs, right...Dognappers!
I don't know if its possible to leave them uncrated when you leave the house. It might be better for their safety and give them a chance if someone came to steal 1 or all of them. The way Brooklyn jumps, I don't think they'd want to walk in and hope for the best on his "turf".

Next, see if you can get a sign that warns people that you have a security system in the house, even if you don't.

I would call the Police immediately, using your cell phone and *67 (I think) makes it come up private call (no info), explain the meeting with the idiots (I'm trying to be nice) and ask them what they suggest and that you want to stay anonimous. See what they advise, and go from there.

Definitely, stay away from that house,,,,,,your friends everyone. They probably watch every car that's unknown to them go by, and take notes.

You have their address, can you go online to the property appraisers office in your County and pull up who actually owns the property? If they are renters the authorities may be able to get permission from the owner to enter the property. If you can get the property appraisers info, look to see if the address for the owner is the same address or a different one. If the owners info is different than the address then they are renters.
Good luck and keep the "kidz" safe.

Did you think about boarding your "kidz" for a short time? With visitation, of course. It might make you feel better. How about Doggie Day Camp?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I got married when I was 19. Some people didn't agree with it, but that's a whole different thread! But yeah, I wouldn't go back and wait to get married if I could, my husband and I are very happily married and we did what was right for us. My best friend and her husband got married when she was 18 and he was 20, they are now 25 and 27 and very happily married with two wonderful children!

By the way, I called our county humane society and they are already closed. They open at 12 noon tomorrow and close again at 4pm, so I'll just have to call when they open tomorrow. I was thinking about calling the sheriffs office, but I think I'd rather see what the humane society suggests I do before I call the police.
good for you! I think I would try to go through the humane society too.

We got married when we were 21! Whatever is right for you is just right for you(how insightful was that?). I was ready to get married at 18 to hubby, but my parents said they would pay for 4 years of college ...so we waited!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
I think Riveree gave you some good advice, along with a lot of others.

The worry you have is with YOUR dogs, right...Dognappers!
I don't know if its possible to leave them uncrated when you leave the house. It might be better for their safety and give them a chance if someone came to steal 1 or all of them. The way Brooklyn jumps, I don't think they'd want to walk in and hope for the best on his "turf".

Next, see if you can get a sign that warns people that you have a security system in the house, even if you don't.

I would call the Police immediately, using your cell phone and *67 (I think) makes it come up private call (no info), explain the meeting with the idiots (I'm trying to be nice) and ask them what they suggest and that you want to stay anonimous. See what they advise, and go from there.

Definitely, stay away from that house,,,,,,your friends everyone. They probably watch every car that's unknown to them go by, and take notes.

You have their address, can you go online to the property appraisers office in your County and pull up who actually owns the property? If they are renters the authorities may be able to get permission from the owner to enter the property. If you can get the property appraisers info, look to see if the address for the owner is the same address or a different one. If the owners info is different than the address then they are renters.
Good luck and keep the "kidz" safe.

Did you think about boarding your "kidz" for a short time? With visitation, of course. It might make you feel better. How about Doggie Day Camp?
For the most part, at least one of us is home with the pups pretty much all day, so we will just have to make sure we don't leave them home alone unless we absolutely have to, and for no longer than we absolutely have to. As far as boarding them, I don't know about that. Our pups have never been away from us for more than a few hours, so I'm sure they wouldn't like that very much. Plus, since we are home with them so much, it would really be a waist of money. We take our dogs with us when we got to the beach, when we got to the pet store, when we go see friends and family, any place they are allowed, we take them with us. Not to mention, a lot of places are very weired about certain breeds, especially the "pit bull" breeds. I know some places won't even allow APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies (and sometimes other breeds) in their day camp type programs.

We could leave Brooklyn out of his crate when we do have to leave them home alone for a little while. I would feel a lot better doing that. We put our dogs in their crates when we can't be there with them because you never know what could happen. We just don't want to risk having them get into a fight for some reason and us not being there to break it up. Because APBTs were bred for bull-baiting, among other things, they do tend to be somewhat animal aggressive (with proper socialization most never have a problem though). All of our dogs have been very well trained and socialized, and they are not animal aggressive in the slightest. But, again, you just never know what could happen, and I wouldn't be able to relax knowing that my dogs are unattended together and something bad could possibly happen. And I don't just think/ feel that way because our dogs are APBTs, I am/ would be the same way with any dog, regardless of breed. I just feel it's the responsible thing to do as a dog owner. But yeah, we could leave Brooklyn out and just put Destiny and Jayda in their crates. That way if someone were to break into our house at least Brooklyn would be out. He's by far the most intimidating looking! lol! But then since the girls are in their crates, we don't have to worry about anything happening with the dogs.

I don't know how much of a difference it would make to leave Brooklyn out of his crate though. Yeah he may look intimidating, and no he wouldn't be a dog to really mess with, but he's not human aggressive at all. That's just the breed. They have been specifically bred to be human friendly. In fact, they normally don't even make very good guard dogs because of their love of humans, even complete strangers. Now, if someone were to break into our home when I was there, that would be a whole different story!

That is a great idea, to look around online and see if I can find out who owns the property! I think I'll do that right now. If it is a rental, should I contact the owner of the property? Or would that not really make a difference?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
I wouldn't contact a landlord in a case like this. You don't know whether the landlord is related, or friends of the renter, or friend of a friend...(remember the Vick case)...let the police handle it, entirely. You don't even need to get involved to the extent of finding out whether it's a rental. Why bother. The police will find that out.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
For the most part, at least one of us is home with the pups pretty much all day, so we will just have to make sure we don't leave them home alone unless we absolutely have to, and for no longer than we absolutely have to. As far as boarding them, I don't know about that. Our pups have never been away from us for more than a few hours, so I'm sure they wouldn't like that very much. Plus, since we are home with them so much, it would really be a waist of money. We take our dogs with us when we got to the beach, when we got to the pet store, when we go see friends and family, any place they are allowed, we take them with us. Not to mention, a lot of places are very weired about certain breeds, especially the "pit bull" breeds. I know some places won't even allow APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies (and sometimes other breeds) in their day camp type programs.

We could leave Brooklyn out of his crate when we do have to leave them home alone for a little while. I would feel a lot better doing that. We put our dogs in their crates when we can't be there with them because you never know what could happen. We just don't want to risk having them get into a fight for some reason and us not being there to break it up. Because APBTs were bred for bull-baiting, among other things, they do tend to be somewhat animal aggressive (with proper socialization most never have a problem though). All of our dogs have been very well trained and socialized, and they are not animal aggressive in the slightest. But, again, you just never know what could happen, and I wouldn't be able to relax knowing that my dogs are unattended together and something bad could possibly happen. And I don't just think/ feel that way because our dogs are APBTs, I am/ would be the same way with any dog, regardless of breed. I just feel it's the responsible thing to do as a dog owner. But yeah, we could leave Brooklyn out and just put Destiny and Jayda in their crates. That way if someone were to break into our house at least Brooklyn would be out. He's by far the most intimidating looking! lol! But then since the girls are in their crates, we don't have to worry about anything happening with the dogs.

I don't know how much of a difference it would make to leave Brooklyn out of his crate though. Yeah he may look intimidating, and no he wouldn't be a dog to really mess with, but he's not human aggressive at all. That's just the breed. They have been specifically bred to be human friendly. In fact, they normally don't even make very good guard dogs because of their love of humans, even complete strangers. Now, if someone were to break into our home when I was there, that would be a whole different story!

That is a great idea, to look around online and see if I can find out who owns the property! I think I'll do that right now. If it is a rental, should I contact the owner of the property? Or would that not really make a difference?
I personally think this is getting to complicated and messy. simplicity is always best!
I would contact the spca,humane society or someone and say your situation and that you are concerned. They trust them to take care of it and just be careful in general as a young woman walking her dogs.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Never said the police would think it. Read what I said (if yorue talking to me). I said neighbors. How can you make too big a deal about scumbags, fighting dogs, guns and drugs ?
By calling too much attention to yourself and worrying yourself sick about it. Just report it, be reasonably prudent with your dogs, and move on.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Let us know what you come up with when you report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs