Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times

Advertisements

My heart goes out to you as I lost Phoenix to renal failure. She developed pneumonia but the drugs they had to use to get her over that put her in renal failure so that last week of her life she spent at the vets on IV fluids with the hopes it could turn her around but at week's end her lab values were no better so I did put her down and it was very peaceful.

Usually at end of life for animals and humans they stop eating and that can be the sign of the body starting to shut down so don't torture yourself because your dog will not eat. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM

297 posts, read 502,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborie View Post
My sweet Lhasa of 16 years is in the final stages of renal failure. He has stopped eating and drinking, yet he keeps stumbling his way to the door to go out to potty. He pees like crazy and has diarrhea everywhere. I don't see where it's coming from. He hasn't eaten anything in two days - no matter how I beg. After he goes to potty - which is an ordeal in itself, because I have to help him stand up, he goes right back to his bed and falls sound to sleep. This has been occurring for two days now and my heart is breaking. When I check on him, sometimes he will struggle to move closer to me so he can crawl into my lap and lay his head against my chest. I keep praying that God will take him peacefully because I DO NOT want to euthanize him. I have seen dogs and cats euthanized and what I saw was an awful sight to behold, not to mention ... what I heard. I refuse to pay a vet to kill my baby...my little furbaby. I lay hands on him many times a day and ask God to give his soul rest and to take him peacefully in his sleep without pain. I have two others that I pray will go the same way when it is their time. I am concerned, because Dina, the mate of Dino (the one who is sick) has been with him since she was born. Dino is 16, Dina is 14. Please, remember us in your prayers tonight.
I know it's hard, but euthanizing can be a very loving act to end their suffering.Your baby may be in a lot of pain. I would urge you to consult a vet if you haven't already.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,274 times
My grandpup, China, was diagnosed with Kidney failure February, 2012. The vet in FL said she would be gone by the summer. We brought her up to TN and the vet said she could last 2-4 years, we were elated. Unfortunately, my daughter said she has started having diarrhea and bloody stools the last few days. She is coming home to TN on Monday for an appointment. Is there anything you could suggest to make her comfortable? She is on Royal Canin for Kidneys. Please help.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmickey View Post
My Jack Russell dog is 14 years old and has been diagnosed with Kidney disease. The vet says he's in medium to high stage (stage 2 and 3). The vet says to bring him into the clinic to stay for 2 days for them to administer fluids, antibiotics, and vitamins to see if his kidney starts working. He did say there is no cure but that he could live longer. The 2 days in the clinic costs about $600 and then whatever program they put him on afterwards, like special diet, sub q fluids, vitamins is extra. To save on cost he said we could administer the sub q fluids ourselves. Did anyone have this kind of experience and about how long does the dog survive? Does this approach really give the dog a better quality of life and for how long? Or is it better to take it's natural course? I appreciate your input. Thanks.
with my dog all I did was give her the kidney dog food and she was OK for 2 years another person
found out her dog had this and did what you are thinking of and she ended up putting her dog to
sleep and said I wish I never did this treatment.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersheylove View Post
Hello. i just happen to be researching on line about my dog's condition and it pretty much sounds like a vivid
picture of exactly what my buddy is goin thru right now. wich is what i was afraid of. he started having the same problems. exept his belly got quiet big with in one day to the next. i was afraid it was bloat so i called in sick to work and took him to the vet. i knew it was gonna cost me but i had no choice. ( he do it for me to if he could ) well after a very large bill and all kinds of tests i went to pick him up in the evening hoping all would be fine and was very optimistic. (i was wrong). the vet couldnt figure out what was wrong with him he said all the test came out negative. and sent him home and to bring him back if he got worse. as i was typing this i went to check on him and he has died on me. i am sorry i can not type anything else right now. please forgive me and i hope my buddy forgives me too for not being able to save his life.
That is so sad and I wonder even why the vet did all those tests. The old vet I had also did lots of
tests without my OK since my dog was old and we both did know it was her kidneys.
there are many kind vets but some I think are just out to make money. I even was told to come
get all these pills after the test which never would have saved my dog at all.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,707 times
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Sadie! This is a heart breaking situation, I myself am in the same situation with my 16 1/2 year old Schipperke "Molly"! She is without a doubt "the BEST dog in the World"! She has had 2 rounds of IV hydration which seemed to help somewhat, but all in all she is declining rapidly. She will no longer eat and drinks less than a bird. She still gets up and very slowly goes outside, but mostly just lays in her bed with her sweet brown eyes glued to my every move.
Although I know how this is going to end, I just keep telling myself that in the end, I must love her enough to do what's best for her, not me!
I will keep you and your sweet Sadie in my prayers during this heart breaking time.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
I am so sorry for those losing their best friends. There is a wonderful support group I found online immediately following the loss of my little Shadow. It is called petloss.com and search for petlossmessageboard that site has been such a blessing, a safe haven to discuss worries, regrets and
profound grief without anyone tiring of the stories. Reading others stories has been cathartic as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM

374 posts, read 509,814 times
Our old dog is getting weaker as time goes on, but after putting one to sleep, we may just let this one die naturally. Pain pills and that's it. Didn't like the way the steroids made the last one feel or act. Like a bad trip or something.

She will die like we will [ well not so sure about that anymore].

Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,707 times
Update on my 16 1/2 year old "Sweet Molly". She passed away on Monday, July 29th as I held held her in my arms looking into her sweet brown eyes. This is without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever experienced. It is such a huge sense of loss that it is indescribable.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
So sorry you had to say goodbye. "Thee one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -- BenHur Lampman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs