Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

I haven't been super impressed by Advantix this year, but the Shih Tzu isn't doing well on the Frontline sent with him either. He's had a few fleas, the Rottweilers on Advantix just seem to be scratching all the time and one has developed horrible dandruff. They've never been on Advantix before, so I think I'll do something new as well. I liked the mosquito protection, but something is wrong...I've never seen them itch like this (although it just could be environmental allergies...the mutt has them). On another note, the Rotties seem to be blowing their coats yet again, and very badly. Or goodly..., less for me to vacuum up! Anyone notice excessive coat-blowing with Advantix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
That is one reason why I tried the Advantix was because of the mosquito protection (even though it stated, only for 2 weeks) but because of the illness's they can present I thought I was getting a little more protection.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I find Frontline to work the best. I do not use monthly and live in Florida. I buy the lesser weight than what my dogs are. It works. I use it every other month and sometimes every three months. I never see them scratch. I personally believe through my experience it does not have to be used every month. I went 5 months without anything on them and I finally saw two of them scratch a little. Put it on and flea was gone! I beleive it is too strong a chemical to be used so often and unneccesary from my experience. This might also work for your pets too!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I find Frontline to work the best. I do not use monthly and live in Florida. I buy the lesser weight than what my dogs are. It works. I use it every other month and sometimes every three months. I never see them scratch. I personally believe through my experience it does not have to be used every month. I went 5 months without anything on them and I finally saw two of them scratch a little. Put it on and flea was gone! I beleive it is too strong a chemical to be used so often and unneccesary from my experience. This might also work for your pets too!
I only use it in the summer months, my dog has never had fleas. I think the ticks are really bad this year and I wish I didn't change from the frontline. I have ordered it and hope it comes in before august.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Blondie, I've forgotten and am lazy...you have large dogs as well?

I usually only apply about every 6-7 weeks. We have some sterling neighbors just west of us that...well, let's just say fleas are probably the least of their problems. I don't need that (or them, but another story for another day). I've got 100+ pounders, so going down would put me in the 45-88 lbs. group. I never saw my scratch on Frontline either. The mosquitos have just been awful this year, I was working from that angle. I think I'll just go back to what works...again, it wasn't broken but I tried to fix it anyway!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Sam I Am, I tried this since last year....going down on the weight with Frontline for my dogs. It still works the same. My dogs are getting a less strength chemical on them and at the same time the cost is less for me, since I have a small zoo here! Wow you have 100 pounders? Mine are all between 7 and 63lbs. I have never found 1 tick on any of my dogs. I lived in New Jersey my whole life and never used anything on my dogs back there....they just never had fleas or ticks where I lived. Since living here in Florida for the past 3 years, fleas are rampant here. I still have yet to find any ticks on them here. Once in a while I spray them all down with that natural stuff I ordered from the guy who developed it. It is called Triple Sure. You can check it out at triplesure.com
A big active ingredient against fleas and ticks is Cedarwood Oil and this has it in it. When I ordered it it was buy one get one.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,861 times
the k9 advantix 100 worked on my dog for about 2 weeks. do i have to wait 4 weeks before i can use it on him again

Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 AM

478 posts, read 773,523 times
I live in Florida where the fleas are horrible- all year pretty much, and of course we have ticks here too. Seemed our dogs were becoming immune to any and all the prescribed flea treatments. So I went to a local do-it-yourself pest place, and I got some outside bug spray to spray the yard and exterior of the house, and we haven't had a problem with fleas since- nor with roaches or any other bugs, for that matter! A bottle costs about $60, and once you dilute it with water it'll last you about a year and a half, depending on the size of your yard/house. I'm not sure what the stuff is called but the people at the store would be able to help you and get you the right product. The only drawback- the stuff is VERY TOXIC. After you spray you can't let your pets outside in the grass for at least 12 hours (they say only a couple but we're extra careful).

Now this won't help for ticks, but if you want something non-toxic to get rid of fleas in your home, and you happen to have carpeting- buy a box of some 20 mule team Borax from your local grocery store. You just sprinkle it liberally all over any carpeting and bedding, and DO NOT VACCUUM it up- leave it. For like a week. All of the fleas in your house will die, probably within days. Easily the cheapest and safest remedy there is- animals and children can walk on it and touch it and it's harmless. And the best thing, it works great!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,221 times
I live in MD I use k9 advatix || for my small dog but the can't get off specialy around his head on the top of it make collards but no Change it has been a week now . I don't know what I'm gone do

Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 16,476 times
I am using k-9 advantix and still pick 5-6 ticks off of my dog every other day. WHAT A RIP-OFF! I'm in Miami Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs