Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,010,729 times

Advertisements

The car ride home was long but went extremely well. No car sickness and no accidents. However she is very anxious. We can't take her in or out on her own accord we have to pick her up and carry her outside to go potty. She hides under tables/chairs you name it to get away from us and anyone else. Last night she wimpered and howled all night in her kennel until finally I went down and slept on the floor next to her kennel holding her paw Loud noises don't seem to affect her she is just afraid of people. We have never owned a breed that acted this way as a pup. We always had very gregarious, bubbly pups. She was 9 weeks on Sunday and this is her first full day home. Am I jumping the gun and being an alarmist or is this going to be a social behavior she inherently posseses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
What breed is the puppy?

She's a baby and she's suddenly in a new home with strange sights and sounds. To some degree, being frightened is natural. Do you know how she was raised? Doesn't sound like she had a lot of contact with humans, sigh.

Can you move her crate into your bedroom so she sees you and feels reassured? The ole ticking alarm clock wrapped in a towel trick might help, too.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:28 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
This could become a problem in the future. I would most certainly get her in to training classes, however give her a week or two (depending on the trainer's thoughts) as socializing will help a good deal.

She's scared, she's never been away from home before.... it will take a day or so.

I agree with moving the crate in to your room.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,932 times
Congratulations on your new pup!

To some extent, the behavior you describe is normal for a pup in a new environment away from littermates and mom. She may not have been well prepared by the breeder for separation, and that's not good. You can fix this, though. Your pup is in a key socialization period right now, and how you handle her now will be the determining factor in how she acts as an adult. You need to get started with socialization immediately.

I would encourage you to read the information on these websites and follow the guidelines. Your pup will grow into a very large dog, and nothing is more important for you and for her than taking steps now to structure how she'll interact with humans as an adult.

All the best to your pup and your family in this exciting time!

Dog Tip: Puppy Socialization: What It Is, Why It's Essential, and How To Do It

Dog Owner's Guide BRT: Puppy socialization

Dr. Ian Dunbar | Dog Star Daily

Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,941,413 times
Congrats, CAKD!

I agree with moving the crate into your room. It may be a little trying during the first week or so. But remember the crate should be used as her retreat and not for punishment. Make her feel that this is her place of refuge and rest. Keep it open at all times so she can come and go as she please. And then, slowly move it towards to the permanent area you want her to reside.

Good Luck and CONGRATS!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
Making her crate a HAPPY place is the way to go. Feeding her inside the crate with the door open is a good way to start.

When I got my dog I moved the crate next to my bed, put a piece of plywood over the top and covered that with a tablecloth - a new bedside table. With your puppy you might not want to YET try the tablecloth, as she'd likely chew it. But my dog's crate is still there and he still likes it. It's his 'bedroom.'

Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
We got a new pup last week. He spent a whole day in transit by air the day we picked him up. I put a toy and water in his crate at night and he seems quite comfortable there. It's HIS bedroom and I know he's safe at night.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
Speaking of puppies..we have 11 newborns.

A 9week old puppy eh and your crating it which in some ways are good but right now may not be good.. I would suggest you put some blankets in a small box of course big enough for the pup not to get out.. lay the box beside your bed close to you..not to step on it.. this way the pup feels close to its new mommy..(I would do this for a couple of weeks til the pup is comfortable in your home) depending on how big the crate is it could be making him feel uncomfortable..one other way to make it feel comfortable is... holding the pup in your lap best way for dogs to know people love them is holding it.. all of our doggies are lap dogs.. so spoiled it isn't even funny. although they break your legs when laying on your lap..lol
What breed is your pup?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
My pup is 16 weeks and was acclimated to his crate by the kennel owner before I got him. He's played with, and loved all day, we are older and home with him. The "crate" is simply to keep him safe at night. Pups love to chew and I would be afraid of electrical cords or choking hazards. This is one very well loved pup.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
sorry msina I was responding to CAKD..lol they are the ones with a 9week old puppy..and I never said any pup wasn't loved.. I was just making a suggestion to help them out.....
I crate trained all mine as well but when I first brought my last pup home he was 6week old (now a year old)...I put him in a lil box beside my bed so he could see me for the first week..the crate was just way to big and scary for him...this was so he wouldn't cry all night .. But ya do whatever works for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs