Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 AM

114 posts, read 318,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah...I even asked around at work to see if anyone wanted a puppy, b/c I wanted to offer to take this dog. But it's not our dog, it's not really our business, and even the trainer can't really do or say anything about it...it just kills me.

Hi, just was scanning the threads looking for another one when I saw your posting. I am astonished that you don't think it's your business! When something so obviously wrong is put in front of us, it darn well is our business to try to right it. I'm not Catholic, but I really think there is something to that "sin of omission" thing. If it "kills" you to see an innocent mistreated, then you do something about it. Speak to the people, buy the dog and rehome him/her. I'm sorry, but this should not even be a question. You are being asked to stand up for someone - do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
Unfortunately, some people view pets as ornaments or "things" instead of family members.
Having said that, I did have a dog that wanted nothing to do with staying in the house.
I built her an insulated doghouse and made sure she had food, water, shelter, and bedding in her doghouse. She was taken for a walk everyday and lived to be over 14 yrs old. She was born in my house. She always had companionship but always seemed to be happier outside.
I would go out and sit on the ground by her house and she would lay on my lap. In the house she might lay down for a few minutes and then get up and sit and whine at the door.
I have a Lab/mix now that will lay on my lap for hours with me in my recliner and only goes to the door when she needs to potty or wants to take a walk. She is happy inside and is spoiled rotten.
As long as an outside dog has food, shelter, and care, the authorities can't legaly do anything unless the dog is disturbing the neighborhood.
I have had dogs all my life (62 yrs) and prefer to let them have the run of the house and train them. But there was one that didn't like to be inside even though we wanted her to be an inside dog.
I wouldn't say much about the dog you are talking about unless it is obvious that it is being mistreated or shows signs of illness or neglect.
Otherwise, just take care of yours like the responsible pet owner that you are.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Easy for me to say but I might mention in passing that the dog would have less behavioral problems if it was an inside dog where they could interact w/ the family and where it would have other things to do besides dig, bark etc, esp. now that it's getting cold out. Would also offer to take it (out of earshot of the kids and w/o being too pushy) should it not work out, your dog needs a companion etc (then you can rehome it to a good home where you can check ref's and do a home visit) - it deserves a better life - but it's a tough situation, no doubt. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeerlady View Post
"sin of omission" thing. If it "kills" you to see an innocent mistreated, then you do something about it. Speak to the people, buy the dog and rehome him/her. I'm sorry, but this should not even be a question. You are being asked to stand up for someone - do it!
Yeah...if they were doing anything illegal or we saw any sign of trauma/neglect on the dog (she always looks happy and well-fed in class), we'd definitely do something. But just treating someone in a manner we find offensive and inappropriate...do you have any idea how many parents I'd be having discussions with?

It's upsetting, but as long as the dog looks healthy and happy, I'm not sure how we're supposed to make any kind of a case. Going to talk to the trainer for sure, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM

106 posts, read 440,536 times
So many good suggestions have been made, I wasn't sure about throwing mine out. But I will. I have trained a good deal of people. I have trained "dogs" for most of my life, both for show and obedience in the ring, and also for just us regular folk looking for those answers to digging, barking, etc. Good trainers aren't training the dog, they're training the people. So, if you look at it like that, you really need to train this lady and probably her kids too. This is going to take some time and effort, but here's what I would do. First, swallow all the things I want to do like perhaps slap her upside her head and take the dog. Second, start a conversation with her. A friendly one. You know she's having problems with digging? Talk to her about how that is going, what is she doing? Is she still having that problem? Tell her, and it doesn't sound like it would be an honest thing to say, but tell her that you'd like to find a training buddy. Offer to meet somewhere to train the dogs together. Get to really know the situation, and instead of just condemning her for the choices she made for her dog to live in, find out if there's another reason why. Was she just brought up that way (dogs don't live inside with people), is she afraid of house training her puppy? Most people will open up to change much more readily to active participation rather than negativity. If you can get her to "train" with you, perhaps you can show her the difference between a "yard ornament" and a dog that is a family member. Praise her dog's abilities to her. Tell her what an awesome dog she has. Share your tips positively on grooming (dog hair in the house?), housetraining, digging, getting in the trash, having a crate in the house that is available instead of the chain, talk about problems you have with having a dog in the house. If nothing else, you could establish a repertoire that if and when things don't change for her or her dog or her children, perhaps you'd be the first person she'd call when she's ready to get rid of her yard ornament, instead of sending it to the pound. My 2 cents' worth anyhoo. I wish I could say it would be EASY to do . . . but it won't be, but it could be very, very worth it.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Good advice, dogmomof11 - like they say, you can catch more flies w/ honey... Alienating her will accomplish nothing, the dog is hers and while it may be neglected, it's not abused. They must care b/c they enrolled in the class and invested in the shock collar (which I am not in favor at all but they may have taken some stupid advice or not thought it thru and are learning as they're going, puppies don't come w/ an instruction manual and it may take them a while to 'get it'). IMO it's better to play nice in this situation and keep the door open that the situation improves or they mention they're looking for a new home for their dog, do you know anyone (in which case I'd take the dog and see how it goes and then possibly rehome it to a better situation where it'll be really cared for and loved).

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM

114 posts, read 318,995 times
Yes, excellent advice, dogmomof11! You must be a wonderful trainer, realizing it's the people you're training, not so much the dogs. Now everyone knows why I will never be a trainer - I'm impulsive and have near zero tact. The one thing you can rely on is that I won't sugar-coat things; if I'm thinking it, I say it - not always a great thing When I read about the shock collar, I went ballistic!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 12,198 times
Default A suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
To be fair, they took the dog to a training class. You can tell the kids adore the pup. They're at that age, you know. Wait till they are teens and 'have a life' and that dog runs out of friends.

It's so not our business and yet so hard to let go.
There's a website called Dogs deserve Better. Print out enough copies of some of the info for everyone in the class ( including yourself)and put it on all of the chairs. Leave and come back at the usual time and act interested and surprised to find this in your spot. Ostentatiously read it and sigh often, oh that is so sad!

And anytime you see a wrong, it IS your business.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
This poor dog is going to snap at someone someday and then they will say "all shepherds eventually turn on you" sigh.

One thing I can think of is to double check state laws. South Carolina recently passed legislation against keeping dogs chained and SC is not a particularly progressive state........maybe Texas (right?) has done something similar.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Turns out they gave away the dog. They were looking, according to the trainer, and we were going to take it till it could be rehomed, but they found someone else. We never saw these people again. We hope that sweet puppy is in a good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs