Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Chained up outside in freezing weather is a reportable offense! Call and report these people. Likewise, outside in buring hot weather.
Probably have to follow them home and take pictures to do it...I don't know where they live. They may have shade and/or a little dog house. It's less the elements and more the emotional neglect that gets to me.

Good point, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,692,187 times
I would go one more time and tell those people in a nice way......mans best friend is not meant to be at the end of a chain left to solidtude! Trust me it would be hard for me to go that one more time! My X has neighbors that did this to a cute black lab mix pup in Jersey. They are immigrants from Europe and big dogs are not allowed in the house there. This dog is now 5 years old and still chained to its little dog house.... rain, shine, does not matter how much snow or sleet. The worst part is it is terrified of thunder also. They got it for the kids but they could care less. My X found it lose in the street one day and he told the woman owner her dog almost got hit by a car....the woman said she wishes the dog did get hit! I called the Humane Society but they said as long as their was a dog house nothing could be done. It has been a cold winter back in Jersey, I often wonder if it is still surviving. Why even get a dog?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM

They're getting a new fence so that it can run around by herself in the backyard instead of being chained in the backyard by herself.

I know what you mean, blondie. I have friends who have 4 (not one, FOUR) dogs who say they just wish they would all die so they didn't have to deal with them. WTF?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:33 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,692,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Chained up outside in freezing weather is a reportable offense! Call and report these people. Likewise, outside in buring hot weather.
The Humane Society will tell you when you call to report a dog out in cold, freezing weather that a dog should be brought in at 40 degrees! However.................if there is a dog house nothing can be done! They need to change some laws! They have had that same law for like fifty years now! Don't they know a dog will freeze at single digits and die?
Horrible!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,626,437 times
While I am totally against dogs living outside and feel that a backyard dog has an address not a home I will pipe in here and say that growing up ( mind you I am 51 so this is back in the late 50's early 60's) Our two dogs lived outside. I spent the first 10 years of my life in Brookfield Wisconsin where winters are COLD.

I can not remember any dogs in that area being indoor dogs. Most that I knew did have dog houses and no one had fences but did have BIG backyards so dogs were chained or ran free. I think my dad was one of the first to put in a fenced dog run behind the garage and the back end of the garage was a tool shed that he did put a pet door in so they had the option of going in there or in their dog houses that had straw in them but that was when they were a bit older. Up until then the male some med sized shaggey kid eating dog was chained up and the female being border collie or a mix of one ran free as she stayed around the yard.

They were not ignored as there were 4 of us kids and the female went eveywhere we did and that area was lots of woods and swamps that we were always exploring. I feel that the female raised me in many ways as being inside or gone ( school etc) was the only times she was not with me! The male did not have as much freedom as he did not like kids ( imagine his horror of ending up with 4 of them in the family!) but he was not ignored by us. I think we all had gotten bit at least once where we then got scolded for what ever we did that got us bit! Taught us to respect dogs. He was not dangerous as kids could hug him and we all did plenty of that but he did not put up with kids sneaking up and saying Boo! or with Kids crawling into his dog house or with the neighborhood bully picking on any of his 4 hoodlums so he was not a bad dog he just had issues. My parents never considered giving him away but rather taught us about our behavior around dogs. None of us grew up with emotional issues from being bitten. We got bit we got scolded and we got over it!

Dogs back then were not usually spayed or neutered at least in that area so Yup the female had litters of puppies and most of my childhood photos I have a puppy or two in my hands. The puppies always found homes fast. The only time the female came in was when she had puppies she was allowed in the basement or in the garage where a whelping box was put.

Despite all this the dogs did survive and no they did not freeze in the winters. I don' t agree with dogs living that way but my point is way too many probably still do and most probably do survive if they have shelter.

The female went into a diabetic coma at about 7 or 8 and had to be put down..first time I ever saw my mom cry and the male being the older of the two lived a few more years and died at about 14 of unknown causes.

I am happy to say that the next dog we got was a pointer mix puppy and because he was a puppy he started off in the house and because he had short hair he ended up staying in the house and moved to Parkforset Ill. with us then to California and yes he slept in my parents bed so began the long history of many dogs living indoors and sleeping in their bed! People can change!

When my nephew wanted a dog my sister in law who was not fond of them ended up coming home with a Shar Pei puppy, Buster.She would not allow him in the house so for years he was an outdoor dog that slept in the garage ,As he got to be old she started letting him come in for short periods and eventually they started leaving the patio door open so he could come in as he wanted and then as an old senior guy slept indoors. Imagine my surprize when they adopted Bruce an english Bulldog puppy and the Chloe the same as they have to be indoor dogs as the heat will kill them fast.Well those two are so spoiled and my sister in law dotes on them so yes people can change.

We can all pray that this woman may change and start allowing the dog inside and if not that it at least has shelter from the cold and Kids that continue to love it, I think the fact they are at the class shows they are trying to do good for the dog. Leave a note saying Outdoor dogs have and address not a home on her windshield and maybe it will start sinking in!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,052,068 times
It IS a reportable offense. The dog is likely barking out there all of the time because it's lonely and that's how the owners can be nailed. I would tell her that. A lot. Sweetly, of course. Things like, "Wow, don't your neighbors have a problem with your dog being outside and barking a lot?" or "Animal Control came by and seized a dog who was left outside by itself all of the time and the owner had to pay a BIG FINE!" That could wake her up and make her rethink.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,606,485 times
Lots of people out here leave their dogs out all the time, and it KILLS me. I just want to round them all up and bring them to a big, warm room with sofas and blankets and give them all snuggle-time...so sad. They have so much beautiful, unconditional love to give, and people just stick them in the yard, buy a dog house, and call it a day. All you can do is try...try talking to these people, voice your concerns in as tactful a manner as you can muster, and hope for the best. Maybe at least one family member will be swayed, and if it is one of the kids, they may nag mom to the breaking point to either let the dog inside or re-home it! That would rock. I will say a prayer for you guys and that puppy tonight!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM

209 posts, read 419,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Probably have to follow them home and take pictures to do it...I don't know where they live.

yes, I've done that. They came out & evidently didn't see a problem. The thing is, here we don't have "Animal Control" as it's known in other places. You just call the Sheriff's Dept. Heck, we just got an animal shelter in our county last year. The attitude here is a bit different, and as a transplant, I guess I'm guilty of the "they did it this way in _____" offense!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 AM

973 posts, read 3,311,392 times
I would look over city, county and state laws very carefully regarding animal cruelty and specifically chaining a dog outside. MANY places have specific Anti-Chaining Laws in place and there is no reason your town can't at some point.

Laws come into place because someone saw a problem that needed to be addressed. There are a lot of people, like you, who petitioned their local city to add an ordinance to protect an animals welfare. Why can't you be that person? I seriously doubt that you are the only one who feels this way in your town. Many people want change but don't know HOW.

Contact the Regional offices of the Humane Society or ASPCA in your area. Regional, State or National offices for animal protection or welfare can help you find out what needs to be done to introduce an Anti-Chaining law into your community. I'd also call PETA. Although they are controversial, they could be a good sourse for information.

ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The Humane Society of the United States

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): The animal rights organization

Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 AM

Update. We went to class again Friday. Woman has put a shock collar on the puppy. And was unhappy when the trainer told her not to leave it on for more than 8 hours at a time. We're staging an intervention next week. At least talking to the trainer. The kids seem to be walking the dog and training her. She knew all her commands (homework).

Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs