Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why people who have small children or intend to have children pick questionable breeds. You may be thinking that I am talking about the safety or your child or would-be child. No I am talking about the welfare of the dog. I too often visit animal shelters where there are a host of pit bulls and pit bull mix breeds which are the throw-aways from people picking the wrong breed.
I ask that anyone considering getting a dog find one that is appropriate for their situation. If you have children get a dog that known for being good with kids. If you are in an apartment get a dog that is can handle small quarters. The price for picking the wrong breed or dog is a dog ending up in an animal shelter and possibly euthanized. Please chose wisely!
don

Dogs are not disposable items!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Well, we decided to go ahead and get her over the weekend. So here's my new Chow, Honey. The breeder was 100% correct in every description of her. She has got to be one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met. She walks up to everyone with a wagging tail, and does great with other dogs. We took her to the outdoor mall over the weekend, and she loved the attention from all the kids and people petting her. Everyone says she looks like a little lion She does great while walking as well, and has no issues with sniffing passing dogs and continuing on our way.

So far, she's doing ok with the house. She was kennel-trained at the breeders property, so we're going to work her into house-training. She's taken well to crate/pen training and keeps her area nice and clean, although she's a messy drinker and not the most graceful dog when going up/down stairs In the few short days as well, she's already learning to let us know when she needs to go out.

Her personality is great though and she's settling in with us nicely. Just because some breeds have had some negative examples of their breed, doesn't mean that all are like this. Honey was raised properly, and her temperament and friendliness is a great testament to that.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Congratulations, she's absolutely beautiful, she certainly looks happy, so glad everything is working out so wonderfully!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
She is beautiful! It sounds like she is making the adjustment well. She sounds like a very social girl so is probably loving all the attention. I hope you have many happy years with her!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
She is beautiful! It sounds like she is making the adjustment well. She sounds like a very social girl so is probably loving all the attention. I hope you have many happy years with her!
Agree with Dashdog. Congratulations on your beautiful dog and wish her a long happy life with you.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Beautiful, beautiful girl! Congrats!~

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM

220 posts, read 991,450 times
She is gor-ge-ous!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
WOW shes beautiful!! What a purple tongue!!!! Looks like a Bear to me LOL

Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
aww, she's gorgeous! I like that shaved down look on a chow, never seen it before. usually the chows I see are walking masses of hair w/ a nose and tongue sticking out in front

folks like you should be commended for doing your homework and going about adopting the dog the right way! sounds like you got a good dog on your hands and hopefully you'll keep in contact w/ the breeder if this is your first chow (always nice to have that support if you have any questions)

good luck w/ your cutie!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
I've had a lot of chows and only had temperament problems with one of them. You can't go blaming the entire breed for encountering one that didn't have a good temperament. The rotties and pits deal with that crap all the time.

And I just had a chow foster dog that was incredible. Wonderful, wonderful boy that got adopted a couple weeks ago. Great with other dogs, cats, birds, tortoises, and kids.

She's gorgeous. Don't shave her again though. The hair on the chows actually cools them in summer by pulling in the wind and keeps them warm in the winter. Just make sure you rake them real well when they blow their winter coat and don't be surprised if your dog is only a third the size she used to be in December! It's amazing how much coat gets blown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs