Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You guys are freaking me out. I feed my dogs Eukanuba, it's not cheap, but is that ok?
Eukanuba is a terrible food. The worst part is the price, so you feel as if you're actually feeding a quality food. There are much better options out there. Here's a review of Eukanuba from DFA. This reviews is for their new "natural" line, which only rates 2 stars. The other formulas are even worse than this one.

Dog Food Reviews - Eukanuba Wild Nature Venison & Multigrain - Powered by ReviewPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Tractor Supply also sells TOTW and they now have their own brand of dog food. Not as good as TOTW but it is cheaper.. 35 lbs for around $30.00.

I spend more time reading what is in my dogs food than I do my own food..

Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Tractor Supply also sells TOTW and they now have their own brand of dog food. Not as good as TOTW but it is cheaper.. 35 lbs for around $30.00.

I spend more time reading what is in my dogs food than I do my own food..
you too, huh??

Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Kirklands is a quality food! We have switched over to Authority (Petsmarts own brand) b/c Kirklands give my dogs gas. HOWEVER, all 3 of my doggies together eat 7 cups a day (2 bostons and a small, senior boxer) and I would probably have to come up with a new strategy for feeding a dog that eats 13 cups a day. Maybe I would mix Kirklands with something cheaper. That's a hugh amount of food!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,250 times
Yes Eukanuba Iams and foods like this cost a pretty penny but there are much better foods for your pups for probably equal or less money!

I want to scream everytime I see someone buying Beneful or those dumb commercials which make it sound like you are doing something great for your dogs---what a farce!

For my two small dogs I personally feed a nutrionist formed raw food processed diet to my bigger dog (17lbs schnauzer mix) and Eagle Pack Holistics Lamb and Rice to my smaller dog (7lb Brussels Griffon)--due to allergy issues she has.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
I'm going to switch her, I had no idea!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:06 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I'm going to switch her, I had no idea!
Do it slowly over a week's time so her stomach doesn't get upset. We are just finishing switching my dog's food to his new one for large breeds: Innova. He was on Science Diet at the Humane Society. Not necessarily bad food but not the best either.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Do it slowly over a week's time so her stomach doesn't get upset. We are just finishing switching my dog's food to his new one for large breeds: Innova. He was on Science Diet at the Humane Society. Not necessarily bad food but not the best either.
Well I still have a TON of Eukanuba, so I'll mix for awhile. I feed her lots of fish and meats too.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM

45 posts, read 80,407 times
There is a Tractor Supply as well as a Farmers' Co-Op in our area. I'll have to check there for some better food for him.

He has begun not eating. I'm not sure what's going on with him, unless the other food is just clogging him up so to speak. Or maybe it's the hot weather? I really wish I could have him inside so I could watch him better, but that would be a disaster. We're just now getting to where he routinely follows me around the yard. Hopefully I get to pet him again soon.

I worry more about this fur-kid than I do myself!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:44 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishFamily2010 View Post
There is a Tractor Supply as well as a Farmers' Co-Op in our area. I'll have to check there for some better food for him.
Tractor Supply have their own range of "premium" food called 4Health. I'm currently using it (and have been for some months now, having switched from Taste of the Wild) - I started with the large breed version but am happier with the lamb & rice. While it's not grain free, it does not have wheat, corn or soy. The first ingredient is lamb and the second is lamb meal and the third is brown rice. It's +/- $30 for a 35 lbs bag.

Now I've got two 80 lbs dogs eating that - both very active. I've cut back now because of the heat, but the max they get would be two cups each per day. But even if you followed the recommended feeding on the back, they only say 5 cups for a 100 lbs dog (and personally I'd think it's probably more like 3.5-4). While it may seem like it costs more, there's NO way you'd be going through anything like the quantity you're going through now.

As for not eating... if it's suddenly gotten very hot (as we have, yuck), he might lose his appetite a bit. Try feeding him after the sun's gone down and it's cooled off or very first thing in the a.m. and see if that helps.

Do you know if he scavenges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs