Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
GSDs can be as varied wtihin the breed as between the breed. There are showlines and working lines and backyard bred which are God Only Knows What. --- Very different temperaments between the types. Working lines GSDs are bred to work and they absolutely can be destructive. I have seen a wire crate completely destroyed in 15 minutes [obviously we would have stopeed the dog if we saw it happening] I know of houses that have had the floors ripped up. They are great dogs and amone working breeds are more often known to have an "off switch" compared to, say, the typical Malinois who is always "on".....but there is so much divergence among the lines I don't think you can really typify what to expect unless you narrow it down to GSD type. Sibes I know nothing about. I , too, have had 5 GSDs - 2 from am showlines, 1 a mix of working and show, 1 a west german working and 1 a czech working and the dogs have all been very different.

The common thread - all dogs could be trained for obedience. All could go anywhere with me offlead. All had some degree of guarding instinct, both activity level and drive varied greatly. Showlines had weaker nerves than the working line dogs who were more stable.
My husband had a west german-bred GSD when we started dating. Big (above breed standards), gorgeous dog who managed to chew through an entire couch when he was a puppy

The police dept. here in town uses Malinois' for the K-9 squad. Definitely not 'laid-back' dogs, but, absolutely brilliant at their appointed tasks.

I do agree with the overall conclusion - every dog is different and every dog benefits from good, positive obedience training. While there are breed standards, every dog within a given breed is an individual and must be treated as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
retired greyhound.......
Great suggestion.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
We almost got a rescue husky as our first family dog years ago, but when we found out about their wandering tendencies, we looked for another breed. And ended up getting a mixed breed puppy from the Humane Society! GSD and lab, what a perfect mix, the best of both worlds! She was more shepherd than lab in terms of temperament and intelligence, our best friend and protector for 13 years. But she was not quite as high-energy as a GSD, and she was regular lab size. We used to say she was a shepherd in a lab coat... And no hip problems! I know we were so lucky to have found her--not all GSD-lab mixes may turn out that way. But if there was ever a mix I'd recommend, that would be it! If you get a husky-GSD mix, it will probably still retain its wanderlust--that's what we were told. It's not like you can order up a mixed breed to go, but if you run across an available GSD-lab mix, you may want to give him/her a second look.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,087 times
I have one of each right now.. they are my kids!!!

Our GSD loves other dogs... and is very protective of us.

Our husky is the other way around.. not really into other dogs, and is a big instigator, but LOVES anyone and everyone who walks up to him!

Be careful with a husky because they sometimes tend to be more 'predatory' with smaller animals.. (squirrels, cats, possums...) whereas Shepherds arent really known to be predatory hunters.. I know you said you had a smaller dog, so just make sure that whoever you decide on is comfy with your yorkie!

Both shed like crazy.. both are lovers.. both are amazing dogs. good luck with your decision!

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs590.snc3/31096_1320371323234_1049319829_30769916_5276048_n. jpg (broken link)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs455.snc3/26044_1298921707007_1049319829_30724304_4988075_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
what gorgeous dogs........

Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM

<3 thanks!! no matter what, either decision will be a good one, so long as the one you decide on gets along with the little one. They both have their pros and cons, and both breeds have LOTS of rescues across the country. (both of ours are rescues!)

Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 PM

76 posts, read 176,761 times
Oh, how beautiful they both are. Do the rescues let you bring your dog there to see if they get along?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 PM

442 posts, read 965,318 times
If you are considering a rescue dog, try what I did. I went to the town it was at and rented a motel room picked up the GSD for a sleepover. I did bring my small dog too. It turned out great I did not sleep all night just watching the two get aquainted. I am waiting on a home visit to get my rescued dog home to me.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila48 View Post
Oh, how beautiful they both are. Do the rescues let you bring your dog there to see if they get along?
Most rescues from what I know (and from having worked with the husky rescue) will coordinate a meet and greet to make sure that everyones happy. It's important to the rescue that the new family gets along, and that the rescue pup finds a forever home!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
I have one of each right now.. they are my kids!!!
What a beautiful pair!

I've owned GSD's all my life but my current one is the first I've raw fed.

I can't tell you what a difference this has made with shedding. I'm positively GIDDY over it. If I ever hoped to see a miracle in my lifetime, this was it.

There are many other benefits too, but since you commented on the shedding with which we GSD owners are so familiar, I thought I'd mention a "solution" that benefits the dog and actually works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs