U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,729,762 times
Reputation: 788

Advertisements

The richest country(maybe MOST indebted if we account for our deficits) with poor rankings.

Link: U.S. gets 19th place in retirement security rankings - Yahoo! Finance

Retirement Security - 19th.
Healthcare Access - 23rd.
Material Well-Being - 38th.

How did we get here? Will it EVER get better?

I mean over a period of time, with decreasing standards of living and wealth - our economy will suffer and this in turn cause social, economical, political and military impacts!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
 
1,862 posts, read 2,878,068 times
Reputation: 2107
This is in the wrong forum--should've posted to retirement. Good article--here is the complete list of countries. Some are a surprise--Israel for instance. That place is hella expensive.

Don't get your title either. What does this have to do with immigration? People will still come to the US to make money. They will just spend it somewhere else. In fact, it's more and more looking likely I'll be retiring overseas myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,729,762 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
This is in the wrong forum--should've posted to retirement. Good article--here is the complete list of countries. Some are a surprise--Israel for instance. That place is hella expensive.

Don't get your title either. What does this have to do with immigration? People will still come to the US to make money. They will just spend it somewhere else. In fact, it's more and more looking likely I'll be retiring overseas myself.
Moderator, please move this positing to Retirement.

Well, you want immigrants to come here, make money here and spend money here. If they come and spend elsewhere - then its money out the door!

I don't blame you for wanting to retire overseas. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,389,367 times
Reputation: 5594
Where ya been ? The wide European immigration to America
ended 80 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
11,920 posts, read 13,262,198 times
Reputation: 12663
I keep tellin my parents to leave the country after they decide to retire. As hard as they may try, I think it will be a struggle for them, and many like them, to comfortably retire in the U.S.A. Hope Walmart creates a few million more door greeter jobs, the seniors are gonna need them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge
20,899 posts, read 22,699,201 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Where ya been ? The wide European immigration to America
ended 80 years ago.
You mean 30-ish years ago. The last large group of immigrants were the Russian Jews in the late 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM
 
29,464 posts, read 33,719,621 times
Reputation: 11093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
The richest country(maybe MOST indebted if we account for our deficits) with poor rankings.

Link: U.S. gets 19th place in retirement security rankings - Yahoo! Finance

Retirement Security - 19th.
Healthcare Access - 23rd.
Material Well-Being - 38th.

How did we get here? Will it EVER get better?

I mean over a period of time, with decreasing standards of living and wealth - our economy will suffer and this in turn cause social, economical, political and military impacts!!!!
The opportunities and income for skilled immigrants with in demand job abilities makes this a great country to immigrate to. Just because we have millions who have missed the boat on creating personal success doesn't mean that folks elsewhere can't come here and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,076,846 times
Reputation: 17978
One only has to look to see if any country actually offers more oportunity ;the anser is no. That is unless you think control for a certain income is opportunity.Opportunity si just what the original seetlers here came for and the masses behind them and still coming. If a person doesn't take that opportunity or filas then that is not the nations fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge
20,899 posts, read 22,699,201 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The opportunities and income for skilled immigrants with in demand job abilities makes this a great country to immigrate to. Just because we have millions who have missed the boat on creating personal success doesn't mean that folks elsewhere can't come here and do it.
What you are missing is most of those "skilled" immigrants which number around 70,000 per year arrived in the US under H1B and L1 visas. They were either brought in at below the prevailing wage (we are not talking min wage BS, we are talking mid 5 figures vs 6 figure salaries) or brought in under contract for a company that has no physical presence in the US. Millions didn't miss the boat, they were placed in a boat with a hole in it. This is why, I a highly skilled American citizen who resides in the US, work in UAE. In the UAE they want quality vs quantity and are willing to pay for quality workmanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM
 
29,464 posts, read 33,719,621 times
Reputation: 11093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What you are missing is most of those "skilled" immigrants which number around 70,000 per year arrived in the US under H1B and L1 visas. They were either brought in at below the prevailing wage (we are not talking min wage BS, we are talking mid 5 figures vs 6 figure salaries) or brought in under contract for a company that has no physical presence in the US. Millions didn't miss the boat, they were placed in a boat with a hole in it. This is why, I a highly skilled American citizen who resides in the US, work in UAE. In the UAE they want quality vs quantity and are willing to pay for quality workmanship.

Glad that is working for you and you found your boat and destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top