Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 01:38 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
LOL is this a joke? $1600/month for a house? Where? In Amarillo? LOLOLOLOLOL

Maybe one day you'll learn that everyone can't just move to some cheap small town. That's not where the jobs are.
You can rent houses in Minneapolis for that much and the job market here is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There ARE other socio-economic changes possible
aside from attempts to get the "corporate masters" to do something for you.
Such as?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

We all know who controls the power and wealth in this nation, and it's not the people.

So, if you're suggestions unions or similar, sure, but there's not much else that can be done with things the way they are.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Such as?
Acknowledging and then dealing with the actual problem: Too many people.
Not having enough jobs for all the warm bodies is a symptom of that problem.
Not having good paying jobs is a direct effect of that problem.

For every X% fewer people available to do Y...
the time value (wages) of getting Y done increases Z%.

It's not that complicated.
Everyone except the poor got the message forty and more years ago.
Everyone except the poor and religious have mostly accommodated themselves to it.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm from Michigan, the state that most likely got hit worse than anyone else in the country. People aren't living on a death wage and most people who want jobs are able to find them. They are not always the best jobs, and the market is definitely not the best but they are out there. People making 12 an hour are definitely able to support themselves on that wage, the cost of living is much cheaper there.

The people who can't make it, don't make it because they're lazy and don't look hard enough for work or spend outside of their budget.
Where in American can someone stay alive on seven or eight bucks an hour with NO HELP. This means, no roommate, no family members helping, no government interference.

So let us say someone works 35 hours per week, full time, on minimum wage in NYC, which is eight bucks an hour. That earns $14,560 per year before taxes. So after taxes (which if I recall for MW is 15% plus a bit extra) the MW worker will take home 238 bucks a week and 952 bucks a month. Where in NYC is someone going to live on 952 bucks a month without outside help such as welfare considering the average rent for an apartment is a 1000 bucks and even to get a room or a basement it can cost 800 bucks! And how exactly is this person going to "cut down on his lifestyle" when there is no lifestyle that can be afforded by a near-slave?

And let us say the person working for MW wants to be ambitious and get themselves out of their situation. Should they be subjected to a non-living wage and lead a miserable existence while doing so?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
If there were not the welfare programs or food stamps, etc., do you think these MW workers would go out and get a better job? Or a second job? I think the government has made it too easy for the slackers to work at "play jobs" and not step up to a more demanding job.
And exactly where is the person working over a greasebin going to advance to when they can't even think of anything aside from their next meal?

Serving food or folding clothes are "play jobs" now? They're most goddamn boring and mentally numbing jobs there are! And yes, they made it so easy by bringing the standard so low that one can have the leisure of working for a starvation wage and having to apply for food stamps. How dignified and uplifting for that person.

And there are plenty of people away at two crap paying jobs to sustain themselves. I work with some of them everyday of my life, and believe me, they are not having fun! Is cleaning feces and urine off senior citizens and handicapped people or feeding them pureed food fun or "play" to you?! Is getting filthy mopping floors and dishwashing and serving hot food and dealing with requests to run up and downstairs fun to you?! Is wrapping ham hocks or working a screw or toothbrush factory fun to you?

Get real!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Yeah, we're already paying for it by paying for taxes to support welfare such as food stamps that these MW workers need to STAY ALIVE considering they don't get paid a living wage, but rather a DEATH WAGE considering without outside help from welfare programs or friends and family, they would DIE, because one can't remain alive on seven or eight bucks an hour without outside help.

Too bad for you; you might have to pay that extra 25 cents for a bagel or fifty cents to a buck for a value meal or slice of pizza.
Oh, Puh-leeze, I am already living in the priciest area of the country. If people don't want to live on MW, then they should learn skills to better themselves. I wonder how the minimum wage workers have made it all these years before this newest push? Could this have something to do with the millions of undocumented people?

BTW, I have never eaten at a fast food restaurant. And I pay enough for pizza as it is.

Death wage? That's a good one. LOL!!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Oh, Puh-leeze, I am already living in the priciest area of the country. If people don't want to live on MW, then they should learn skills to better themselves.
Yeah, but should they be subjected to a starvation wage WHILE they are bettering themselves? And what if some can't, for whatever reason?

Quote:
I wonder how the minimum wage workers have made it all these years before this newest push?
By receiving various forms of welfare, which is necessary for housing and food when one earns a living that can't keep them alive without government assistance, and living like a third worlder in supposedly a first world country like the US, "the greatest country on earth".

No need to wonder anymore.

Quote:

Could this have something to do with the millions of undocumented people?
Not sure that this belongs here, but undocumented people should certainly be deported en masse despite the new trend of liberal whitey genuflecting to them because of their "hard work" as if we need millions more dishwashers pouring into the country!

Quote:

BTW, I have never eaten at a fast food restaurant.
Then don't.

Quote:
And I pay enough for pizza as it is.
If you think so. In NYC it can be something like two to five bucks depending on the slice and location, a price one can wipe their behind with here.

Quote:
Death wage? That's a good one. LOL!!
Of course it's a good one because someone earning 280 bucks per week before taxes can't sustain themselves independently as an adult (average age of an MW worker is in the 30's, not someone "entering the workforce" these days).

Glad you like my term.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
If you work full-time or desire to work full-time and make the effort to work full-time, then yes, the job should pay a living wage. If you averaged all the salaries and profits (above inflation) in any given company and divided it by the number of workers, I would be rather surprised if the lowest-paid workers couldn't have their salaries doubled without causing only moderate cuts to those far better off within that company.
Lets take a McDonald's restaurant as an example. Labor (salaries, etc.) is maintained at 30% of gross income. If you doubled the salaries, you would have to raise prices by 100% to maintain status quo, of labor equal to 30% of gross sales. This would of course cause a huge reduction in sales, and would put the restaurant out of business.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets take a McDonald's restaurant as an example. Labor (salaries, etc.) is maintained at 30% of gross income. If you doubled the salaries, you would have to raise prices by 100% to maintain status quo, of labor equal to 30% of gross sales. This would of course cause a huge reduction in sales, and would put the restaurant out of business.
Why would prices have to be doubled? And why would a status quo have to be maintained? For CEO's to heaven forbid go from stinking rich to just very rich?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
So revenue has to double to match employee pay doubling? And the alternative is going out of business?

Imagine if revenue decreased by half when they sent our manufacturing jobs to China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics