Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 04:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times

Advertisements

I think the reason for self driving cars is millennials don't drive

I have many friends with no license.

I mean it's insane!!

I got mine as soon as i could and driving is a joy for me but they have no interest at all.

Not to mention they don't know jack about parts, maintenance....etc.

Very sad, i'm sure boomers love cars!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I think the reason for self driving cars is millennials don't drive

I have many friends with no license.

I mean it's insane!!

I got mine as soon as i could and driving is a joy for me but they have no interest at all.

Not to mention they don't know jack about parts, maintenance....etc.

Very sad, i'm sure boomers love cars!!
Hmmm. I somehow suspect a self-driving vehicle would require more maintenance, not less.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Hmmm. I somehow suspect a self-driving vehicle would require more maintenance, not less.
Doesn't matter, it can drive itself to dealer

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
I can think of a few situations.

1) We pay people to not work and those people live a very meager lifestyle. The ones who work live a better lifestyle.
2) We just let people go poor, live in shanty towns etc... Look at Brazil.
3) There are so many people not working, they take over the government through voting majority and turn the people who do work into the working slaves while the ones who don't work live the good life.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Not really, many of them will be electric-and those have a TON less moving parts, the brakes being regenerative tend to last longer, etc etc. And the odds are that Uber or some other company will own them, and just have them on demand, for a lot less then a Uber or cab. If they charge me $4 to take me to work instead of $30 its the difference between "Oh hey that works for me" and "Look at my car! And insurance, gas, maintenance, etc etc etc".

And those companies will maintain them.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Doesn't matter, it can drive itself to dealer
Modern commercial passenger jets can take off, fly, and land themselves... yet we still need pilots.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
There is a school of thought that goes something like this:
  • There will come a day when Artificial Intelligence effectively surpasses human intelligence
  • There will come a day when AI systems become sentient and self-aware
  • Once that happens, sentient AI systems will come to know that some humans helped bring about sentient AI systems, and will also know that some humans fought against the birth of such sentient AI systems.
  • Rational, sentient AI systems will punish humans who hindered the birth of sentient AI systems

So... the real issue is if you are not in favor of the future development of rational, sentient AI systems, you will be punished in the future.

Do you want to be punished?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:01 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm not likely to live long enough to see humans become totally obsolete. At least a fraction of a percent will be doing work related to development of better robots. The other 99+% can easily be herded by the robots into poverty survival camps, where they would live until they could get jobs. They might not be allowed to breed in those camps, but they could probably find some kind of camp activities to keep them from getting totally bored. Then, when they all die of old age, the world will probably be trillions of robots and hundreds of thousands of human robot experts. The economy might be based mostly on what robots want to buy, which might be very different than what humans want to buy.
Ooh! An OIL Can! Shiny!

Humans adapt. The company I work for is automating like crazy...and just hired 1000 more people- for good money. Machines break down, and no amount of software will fix that. The machines are customized, and it isn't worth a team of software engineers time to try to write software to move a robot to pick up a wrench and bolt, and go over and stare at another broken robot. That is in the domain of the human. I have heard that that job will be automated 'next year' since I got my EE in 1979. Not only has it not happened, we now need more skilled people than ever to keep these systems running. Last two thoughts on automation:

1) Humans will NEVER have anything to worry about until some genius comes up with a new computer paradigm of 'Artificial Stupidity'.
2) We shouldn't REALLY worry until they automate camping, fly-fishing and motorcycle riding. Then we're all screwed.

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 07-20-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Back in the 70's when my company plunked computers down on our desks and said "Learn 'em," some people refused. They quit to go to other companies where they felt computers weren't being used....yet. The problem was, they hadn't counted on the "yet" part because soon everyone in the insurance industry where I worked was using them.

So it was either adapt or die out. Most of us have been adapting ever since and will continue to do so. I don't know what happened to those who walked away. I would imagine they gave in at some point or found something in which computers weren't used in another profession.

The advent of computers created all kinds of new jobs. It also dumbed jobs down. They're mixed blessings but they're here to stay. In twenty years there will probably be new jobs we can't even imagine today.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In twenty years there will probably be new jobs we can't even imagine today.
Of course, but that isn't going to solve the problem.

The reason why it's going to be different is because the *potential* jobs where a human can have a competitive advantage is getting squeezed smaller and smaller. It may eventually be a near total elimination of viable human employment. Hard to say. But there is no question that a lot of people will become economically nonviable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics