Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 06:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Of course, but that isn't going to solve the problem.

The reason why it's going to be different is because the *potential* jobs where a human can have a competitive advantage is getting squeezed smaller and smaller. It may eventually be a near total elimination of viable human employment. Hard to say. But there is no question that a lot of people will become economically nonviable.

This is a point that people often miss. In the past you had fields that employed mass amounts of people. First it was agriculture, then it went to manufacturing, After that it went more to technology like programming or IT. And even now IT requires even less people as that becomes automated.

Just look at multi billion dollar companies like Facebook, who has less than 20,000 employees. Twitter has 4,000 or so, and most of these workers are the best of the best in their fields and have attended elite colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:42 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
According to the UN agenda 21 the goal is to reduce the population by 2/3rds or more .
Much easier to control slaves that way .World domination
With that in mind there will be plenty of jobs in the future, even with automation.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
We've had huge increases in productivity growth via automation and other miracles of industrial engineering for two centuries. Personally, I think this is just more of the same old tired argument. The big difference is that we now have a glut of unskilled labor due to a large recent wave of immigration from cultures that don't value education combined with our sizable permanent underclass that also doesn't value education. Anybody with strong job skills is in demand and has no problem finding work. If you're struggling, maybe you should be taking an introspective look at your skill set and fix your problem.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:12 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We've had huge increases in productivity growth via automation and other miracles of industrial engineering for two centuries. Personally, I think this is just more of the same old tired argument. The big difference is that we now have a glut of unskilled labor due to a large recent wave of immigration from cultures that don't value education combined with our sizable permanent underclass that also doesn't value education. Anybody with strong job skills is in demand and has no problem finding work. If you're struggling, maybe you should be taking an introspective look at your skill set and fix your problem.
Our ideas of full employment as a measure of national economic health, are now seen as seriously outdated, and, the knowledge that we are actually doing quite well nationally with respect to GDP seems to reveal the fact that the US can now have a large measure of prosperity in spite of having a ton of people who are permanently marginalized, economically, AND socially.

Alongside that glut of unskilled workers is the glaring fact that many people with marketable skills can't find work. People aren't dismissing the value of education simply because they aren't educated, the education that ends in a job isn't always readily available to all who want that education. I guess we can continue to make a case for personal responsibility when looking at the large group of the unemployed, but we can also make a case for the inconvenient facts that support the notion that automation and laborsaving initiatives are taking human work at an ever increasing rate with little or no organized response.

The supplanting of human labor had dollar savings as it's main goal, but, the underlying raison d’etre was the elimination of labor as an adversary of profits. Jeremy Rifkin, in his book titled The End of Work, projects a vision of the "post industrial" world as one that necessitates a far different role for humans, he writes in a chapter titled Requiem for the Blue collar that we are already seeing many skills fall to the machine's superiority, so in the long run we can see skilled work also being subjected to the same view of human labor as a detriment that we once thought was focused on the easy, unskilled labor, we now know better. The march of the machines is in it's raw beginnings.. We need to think beyond work...

Old 07-23-2016, 12:03 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,420 times
Here's another thing to consider that hasn't been discussed much in this thread. Assuming that the argument is correct, and human labor is replaced by automation, that begs the question: what will we do with our time? How will $$ be made? Will we spend time in intellectual pursuits? What are the costs (individual AND social) of not working, when work has shown to be beneficial to the psychological health of many?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:31 PM

661 posts, read 522,145 times
Hey that's what I'm asking. So far, unfortunately I saw in my generation, how rapid advancements in technology has cost people socially. Now people can't live without their phones. It's just a reality I feel I have to live with for life, because I believe I was born in the wrong time.

Machines. Humanity's worst creation. Human superiority is dead.

Last edited by ghostee; 07-23-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
According to the UN agenda 21 the goal is to reduce the population by 2/3rds or more .
Much easier to control slaves that way .World domination
With that in mind there will be plenty of jobs in the future, even with automation.
No there is not going to be plenty of jobs in the future because machines can do jobs faster, smarter and do not need to get paid or have a break.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:11 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
what will we do with our time? How will $$ be made? Will we spend time in intellectual pursuits? What are the costs (individual AND social) of not working, when work has shown to be beneficial to the psychological health of many?
What do retired people do? They seem pretty happy to me.

We are facing issues a thousand times more serious than what to do with our free time.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
What do retired people do? They seem pretty happy to me.

We are facing issues a thousand times more serious than what to do with our free time.
That is true and is not most people's goal is to retire someday. Unfortunately some people's work is their identity so without it they would not know what to do with themselves. For most people I am sure they would do stuff like spend more time with family/friends, do something creative, travel, volunteer there is plenty to do.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
New York City just released a report crowing over "excellent" job growth: New York City adds over 26,000 jobs in June | SILive.com

However when you dig into the numbers large amount of those new jobs are in service sector employment. Areas not known for paying lavish wages and or offering extensive benefit packages. This is where the USA is going in many areas of the country, service vs. high skilled and or highly educated employment. The latter is where you find big money over the former.

For the record here are the so called "high wage" jobs in NYC. Notice not a single one does not require college and or a post graduate degree.

The 15 highest-paying jobs in New York City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics