Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,356 times

Advertisements

I think many view the future as us vs robots or AI when in fact it is who we are becoming. The miscalculation in this thought is the belief that the two are separate when in fact we are heading towards a morphing of the two.

What if one day you could put on a headset that would align all the needed neurons in your brain to "learn and memorize" all the languages in the world, all the physics, mathematics, concepts, ideas, etc. then let your own intuition and personality reign free on that knowledge?

The careers we see as exclusive to only the most intelligent today may be reserved for the burger-flippers of tomorrow if not completely automated away to service-bots.

Genetic engineering will come, not if. Humanity's IQ as a whole will quantum leap within a generation when science, ethics, safety all align and red tape cut.

We've moved from the farming age, to the industrial age, to the service and digital age, and tomorrow, many jobs may very well be within exploring, the exploring of the universe. When all of one's basic needs are met to a luxury level, it still isn't in human nature to remain content. Pay will be received via access to exploring, knowledge gain, and personal growth. Maybe instead of monetary reward, we move towards a more personal or spiritual reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Hansproof, it sounds nice, but the reality is that AI and robotics are far easier then enhancing people. As such we will fall behind the curve.

Would be nice if you were right, but the technology for what you are discussing is far behind the technologies that threaten us as a viable competitive production unit.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
Elder care may be a big market as the baby boomers continue to age. They are currently 52 - 70 years old so in twenty years they will be 72 - 90. I don't know what percentage of the 77.3 million that belong to that cohort are still alive but most probably are.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:54 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
And when someone like you is in an accident, gets hurt, and otherwise has to suck off disability wear that same shoe tough guy lol
That would be totally out of my control. I am referring to people who don't adapt their skillset to the available jobs.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
I mean if the government wants to make jobs go away we better still be making some money SOME WAY SOME HOW by that time.
All that stuff that gets automated someone needs to maintain it what if something goes wrong?
Just like how McDonalds Workers in Phoenix were replaced by robots but someone still needs to oversee them and repair them.
You can't automate everything.
You want a robot/computer to teach kids instead of a human? Sure go ahead see how many people are okay with that.
And if you think people are going to get more smarter technically, yea sure go ahead and think that people still will call the help desk and good luck with your crappy H1B Visas workers who can't even speak the damn American language.
All in all there probably will be new jobs created or we will probably all be living on welfare.
As long as I can still pay the bills I don't care.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 3 days ago)

600 posts, read 273,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I would rather vote for a robot than for a politician.
I'm not convinced that there's a practical difference between the two.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I mean if the government wants to make jobs go away we better still be making some money SOME WAY SOME HOW by that time.
All that stuff that gets automated someone needs to maintain it what if something goes wrong?
Just like how McDonalds Workers in Phoenix were replaced by robots but someone still needs to oversee them and repair them.
You can't automate everything.
You want a robot/computer to teach kids instead of a human? Sure go ahead see how many people are okay with that.
And if you think people are going to get more smarter technically, yea sure go ahead and think that people still will call the help desk and good luck with your crappy H1B Visas workers who can't even speak the damn American language.
All in all there probably will be new jobs created or we will probably all be living on welfare.
As long as I can still pay the bills I don't care.
Don't think that they will replace all jobs but a majority of jobs can be replaced. Yes we will still need people to repair robots but one person can be responsible for repairing robots in whole area of a town or city. I could see robots in every classroom all they would have to do is be able to communicate information and you could have 1 human teacher going from classroom to classroom making sure the students are actually doing the work and that the robot is working. Who knows maybe in the future education will totally look different then it does now.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That would be totally out of my control. I am referring to people who don't adapt their skillset to the available jobs.
Why of course why didn't they think of that, I mean just "adapting" their "skill set". My gardener was just saying the other day how he was going to get into all that adaptation thing and go into neurosurgery or macro economics, huh? Would that be part of what HE controls??

Old 07-05-2016, 10:48 PM

54 posts, read 56,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I do think 20 years is a liberal estimate for widescale automation of many jobs and tasks. Looks to me, and from speaking with some savvy people in the area , more like 5-10 years.

We could see an inevitable emergence of a true welfare state in the nation, as many workers are displaced en masse from traditional forms of employment. For those who maintain and design the automation industry, higher wages than ever before will surely prevail. The decision will have to be made to tax those working and their corporations enough to cover the costs of assistence for displaced and retired through no fault of their own employees. They will be quite a few in this category in the next decade and thereafter.

Look to see a new world order of tech automation empires facing off against a strong growing movement of those favoring equal opportunity for human workers. Give it another few years and then we all will just put down the protest placards and enjoy the free lunch provided to all the malcontents. All in the form of social welfare payments derived from the taxes of the new tech giants.

The airwaves and webways will be saturated with ads and propaganda telling us how wonderful life is without having to work. For most the message will settle in and just get on with their lives. Those working in life automation will see financial rewards and net worth's to make the current batch of tech billionaires look very measly indeed.
5-10 years is a more accurate timeline, especially considering that large numbers of workers are already being replaced by robotics and software. More and more are being replaced every day, and the pace is increasing every day.

Fast food and retail workers can already be easily replaced by robotics and software operated kiosks, it's just that the price point isn't quite there yet for it to be mainstream.

Professional drivers will start to be phased out in the next 5 years as self driving car technology and drone usage become more mainstream. There are millions of people and thousands of towns that survive by providing food and lodging services that support these drivers. Insurance companies will see huge dips in profits, as will cities relying on income from ticketing drivers when self driving cars become more mainstream.

Most middle class white collar work is repetitive, and anything repetitive can be largely automated, which is what we are already seeing as software becomes more sophisticated and capable of making the sort of judgement calls humans have traditionally been required to make.

There will be less need for military and law enforcement personnel as drones and robotics can do a far better job of air, ground, and sea combat. There was just a news story of an AI controlled fighter jet completely crushing an expert fighter pilot with decades of experience. AI combat drones can make decisions 1000x faster than humans, have perfect aim, require zero training, and are largely expendable. A large part of the US economy currently relies on the massive military spending and the large numbers of soldiers we have.

The few factory workers that are left will be replaced by robotic systems within the next 5-10 years easily.

Skilled blue collar work will see less and less demand as traditional construction methods get phased out, and new construction methods utilizing modules with built in plumbing and electricity are used. This might not be for another 20 years, however, so electricians and plumbers are probably safe jobs for the immediate future.

Virtual Reality will increasingly eliminate the need to even leave the home, and in 10 years most of us who still have jobs will probably work out of the home. Why go to a fancy restaurant when you can plug into the VR system and have a simulated dining experience, and a drone can fly in five star restaurant food expertly prepared by a robotic chef that makes a perfect meal every time, in 1/10 of the time as the human chef did? This sort of thing will be commonplace in 10 years.

The entire oil industry may likely collapse (or severely contract) as the need to drive places vanishes, and electric vehicles become more common.

The need for teachers will decline as online learning experiences become more common. In fact, with information being so freely available, schools and universities as we know them may undergo huge transitions.

Engineers and software developers will thrive, because they will be the ones doing all this automating.

Basically, 90% of the professions we have today will be obsolete in the next 5-10 years and the world will be a completely different place. New kinds of jobs will be created, but not nearly fast enough. Universal basic income will be a necessity - it's either that, or civil unrest and rampant war and poverty.

The next 10 years are going to be a wild ride, so get strapped in. If universal basic income becomes reality, then expect the entertainment industries to dramatically expand, as nobody will have anything to do other than watch television, read books, or play video games.

In 50 years, artificial intelligence will likely have long since surpassed our own intelligence. At this point, humans will be rendered completely obsolete as there would be nothing a human could do that an AI could not. Science and technology will advance faster through AIs in a single day than what human scientists and engineers could accomplish in 10,000 years.

At this point, you will have the handful of the elites of humanity who are controlling everything, and everyone else who now have zero value to the economy. The elites could just kill them off, but a more humane and likely scenario would be to have them wile away the rest of their lives in virtual reality run by AI's, and the neural connections will make the virtual reality indistinguishable from reality. The AIs might even wipe our memory and make us unaware that we ever had a live outside of the simulated virtual reality world. Humans need to work to feel dignity and self worth, and so the scenarios the AIs place us in might have us working fields all day in 12th century Europe or doing paperwork in a 1960s Manhattan office. For that matter, what if we are already in a virtual reality system? We would have no way of knowing. This is precisely why visionaries like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Elon Musk suggest that the universe as we know it is already simulated. And if it's not already, it soon will be.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Man some of you have watched too much Matrix and Terminator.

50 years ago people thought we would have moon colonies and flying cars. Ha.

Self driving cars are the biggest threat I see to jobs, but from what I've read about them, we don't have the proper infrastructure for them to work right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics