Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you were only as fixated on having been able to earn an adult wage as you are on landlords and home ownership you would have been far better off

It's my "lawyer wannabe" mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
It's not rocket science. If you can reap thousands upon thousands of actual dollars worth of actual tax reductions from your home purchase, you are going to be able to bid more for the place than you could without those extra thousands behind you.

What makes so holy the notion of "putting away" the difference? Do you hold some sort of ascetic beliefs of other? No matter how they are taken, the cash benefits of a refi simply float into the same pot as your paycheck and other sources of revenue. How those accumulated balances are ultimately spent or not is and presumably should be a matter of some personal discretion.
There are limitations. To qualify for the mortgage interest tax deduction, you have to itemize when you file your taxes. By itemizing, you forgo the standard deduction. If you don't itemize MID means crap. You're also limited to 1 million dollars. Anything past that you can't deduct anyway. The MID deduction varies by income. The upper income gets to deduct 2-4K. 100-200 averages 2k the over 200 averages 4K. Anything under 100k averages $500 mid. (Granted these are averages not set in stone)
MID helps but it's not the end all be all for everyone. For some people it's not even in the equation. For myself sure there are some tax savings by itemizing and deducting MID. I'm not saying it's worthless. It's just not advantageous for everyone.

As far as my beliefs of others I don't much care what people do with their finances. It's a figure of speech. The only way you're saving IS by putting it away/investing it. Simply telling yourself "I'm saving $200 a month by refinancing" and then spending that $200 on going out frivolous things you're not saving anything. My buddy seems to have that definition. He moved to a cheaper rental to save money. All he ended up doing was accelerate his spending because of the extra cash that he had available. He wasn't actually saving anything. But in his mind he was "saving" on rent. What makes "putting it away" holy is that's how you save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Two home seekers look at homes for sale, pull out calculators, say "if I pay $N for this house, the mortgage interest deduction will being my effective monthly payment to $X. But I can afford a monthly payment of $2X. Since I am competing with another bidder for this home, I need to outbid my opponent, so I'll offer $1.5N.

The mortgage interest deduction enabled the successful buyer to offer $1.5N rather than $N.

Just as so many consumers make poor personal finance decisions on the basis of EFFECTIVE MONTHLY payments, many homebuyers use the same thinking when buying a home.
First if all MID is only good up to a million borrowed. And not everyone itemizes. So not everyone benefits from MID. The tactic of going into bigger debt now to get a house so I can deduct MID is asinine. You're limited on how much you deduct. And you still overpaid which has its own consequences

MID may save you money on taxes but it doesn't allow you to bid higher. You need money and credit to bid higher

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
It comes down to purchases requiring new loans and new loans being front-loaded with interest payments. That fact keeps coming up on these forums.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
Quote:
MID enables home buyers to bid up home prices because MID enables them to pay more to buy than they would be able to pay in the absence of MID.

Higher home prices contribute to higher rents, which cost renters more every month. Higher rents are definitely a negative bonus.
Far flung and obscure.

You have quite an imagination.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
As actual conservatives would have known quite clearly, your personal situation is not relevant in even the slightest degree. Neither is mine. The "hard earned" cliché is meanwhile a hallmark of right-wing slop propaganda. If you want serious people of any stripe to take you seriously, you should stop the knee-jerk use of the term.
Nothing you say makes any sense to me. I have no idea what it is you are talking about. If my personal situation is not responsible for forming my political leanings, then I don't know what is.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Consider it in a state income tax context. (Unlike Congress, states cannot borrow-and-spend, MUST balance their books annually, and MUST spend within their means.)

Consider a hypothetical state with a flat tax rate of 10%. Now consider that MID hypothetically reduces the rate to 5% for half of all taxpayers, and that in the absence of MID, the state could raise equivalent revenue (hence revenue-neutral) with a flat tax rate of 7.5 percent.

In this hypothetical case, state MID redistributes income from taxpayers paying 10% tax rate to taxpayers paying 5% tax rate.

If Taxpayer B could pay 7.5 percent in the absence of MID, and is paying 10% in the presence of MID, how is B's money NOT being redistributed to Taxpayer A who pays only 5 percent?

If you are saying that A is merely "keeping more of his own money" then you are effectively saying that the excess taxes paid by B belong to the government!!!

Remember, states cannot print their own money like the Fed does. A's tax break must be paid for with either spending reductions or tax dollars paid by B. What are you not seeing here?
"Redistribution" requires taking from one and giving to another. One who deducts mortgage interest isn't being given anything.

When Bob takes the MID, how much more does Tom pay, and what is the mechanism by which this tax increase happens?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are limitations.
People already know what they are and what if any actual affect they will have.

Quote:
It's a figure of speech. The only way you're saving IS by putting it away/investing it.
Actually, it's a fallacy of equivocation -- using one definition of a word where a different one is called for.

Quote:
Simply telling yourself "I'm saving $200 a month by refinancing" and then spending that $200 on going out frivolous things you're not saving anything.
One would be very plainly saving $200. It is not going away as part of your monthly mortgage payment anymore. Like found money, it becomes yours free and clear to do with what you want.

Quote:
The tactic of going into bigger debt now to get a house so I can deduct MID is asinine.
LOL! Almost the last thing I did before retiring six years ago was refinance the mortgage and then reopen the paid-off equity line. The simple financial sense of those moves steam-rollered all the Dave Ramsey religious mumbo-jumbo in the world.

Quote:
MID may save you money on taxes but it doesn't allow you to bid higher. You need money and credit to bid higher
And like all the others, the HMI deduction helps put money in your pocket. Lots of money in many cases. Failure to understand this is pretty much inexplicable.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It comes down to purchases requiring new loans and new loans being front-loaded with interest payments. That fact keeps coming up on these forums.
Front-loading of interest is a mathematical property of level-payment loans.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
<<SNIP>>

LOL! Almost the last thing I did before retiring six years ago was refinance the mortgage and then reopen the paid-off equity line. The simple financial sense of those moves steam-rollered all the Dave Ramsey religious mumbo-jumbo in the world.

<<SNIP>>
Above is your response to the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you
The tactic of going into bigger debt now to get a house so I can deduct MID is asinine.

Did you re-finance your house so that you would be able to 1) Deduct mortgage interest, or 2) Be able to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities vis-a-vis your mortgage interest rate?

If you did it because of #1, you're a fool. If you did it because of #2, your response to Electrician4you was intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Did you re-finance your house so that you would be able to 1) Deduct mortgage interest, or 2) Be able to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities vis-a-vis your mortgage interest rate?
Refinancing allowed me to upgrade cash-flow by reducing my monthly mortgage payment, while at the same time padding my HMI deduction by front-loading the interest portion of those payments all over again. Win-win. The equity line bit provided a renewed low-interest ten-year draw period to buffer against having to liquidate performing assets in order to meet elective or other expenditure blips. Household Finance 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics