Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Refinancing to mine equity is wealth destroying too. Giving people a bigger tax deduction for being stupid is not productive of more wealth. Just phase the mortgage interest deduction out over 10 or 15 years and nobody would get stuck with an unexpected bill.
Anyone who can refinance at a rate of at least 1% below the rate on an existing mortgage should do so. You will end up with either the cash-flow advantages of a lower monthly payment or the obvious benefits of having the same monthly payment but with a sudden bunch of cash in hand. Take your pick. The only bad play here is to sit by and do nothing.

Last edited by Pub-911; 06-11-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Liberals think that the money you earn belongs to everybody, except for the portion the government let's you keep.
More likely they understand that taxes are a necessity in any sort of civil society, and that paying your taxes is hence a form of patriotic obligation.

Quote:
Conservatives think that the money you earn belongs to you, but the government takes your hard earned money away, to give to other people that didn't work for it.
It's not really conservatives, but pretty much just those bamboozled by the right-wing disinformation media who buy into that sort of bilge. The "hard earned" cliché gives it away every time.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of home sales these days are CASH sales - the numbers I've seen suggest that between one-third and one-half of home sales these days are CASH sales.

Obviously, having a boatload of cash allows bidders to bid up prices, like when two or more cash bidders are competing for a property. It's not just about bidders with financing.

Ok but I'm asking you to explain how Mortgage Interest Deductions allow people to bid higher prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Anyone who can refinance at a rate of at least 1% below the rate on an existing mortgage should do so. You will end up with either the cash-flow advantages of a lower monthly mortgage payment or the obvious benefits of keeping the same monthly payment but with a sudden bunch of cash in hand. Take your pick. The only bad play here is to sit by and do nothing.

You're right. Taking the savings year over year throughout the length of the loan you're saving. How much depends how much the refi costs and what you do with the money "saved" . How many people actually put away the difference when they refi?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
You are missing something very important in the conservative mindset and that is that there is absolutely nothing fair about the income tax system. Fair, would be that everybody pays the exact same nominal amount.
That would be a very, very, very long way from any reasonable concept of fairness. What most tax policy professionals hope to accomplish is to protect a system of work and related incentives while seeking to make the burden of a dollar's worth of taxation fall more equally across society. Even so, taxes have very little meaningful impact on the lifestyles of the wealthy while serving as an albatross of sorts in the lives of many low-income folks.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
You are missing something very important in the conservative mindset and that is that there is absolutely nothing fair about the income tax system. Fair, would be that everybody pays the exact same nominal amount. An ice cream cone costs $3.50. The owner of the ice cream store doesn't care whether you make $50K or $500K, the ice cream cone is still $3.50. If person "A" pays "X" income tax, then person "B" should pay "X", and family of 5 should pay 5X.

That would be complete fairness, but I think most conservatives understand you cannot run the government that way. Revenue would be too low to do just about anything, and you can't get blood from a stone.

The next level of fairness would be to charge everyone the same percentage of their income. Everybody pays 18%. No deductions or loopholes. That is feasible, and I think it is supported by most conservatives. They think that this, while not perfect, is fair enough. Many also think that usage taxes are the fairest form of taxation, while many liberals consider that to be regressive.

So with that said, let's go back to our current system. If person "A" is paying $200k in income tax, but he gets $15k back from his mortgage deduction, more power to him, because he is still paying $185K, which is a lot more than person "B" who is only paying $5K. Or even worse, person "C" who pays nothing, and even gets some of the money that person "A" and person "B" put in.

So yes, the word "fairness" is not something most conservatives apply to the tax code, so when someone takes advantage of a deduction or a loophole, most conservatives do not get upset about it. After all, they are just making a system of extreme imbalance, just a little bit more balanced.

What conservatives are missing is that a "flat nominal tax" system cannot be fair unless property rights are equal for all, which can happen only under absolute property rights. A flat nominal tax cannot be fair under a government which infringes the right to acquire property.

Note that the Framers carefully protected the property of property owners, while NOT protecting the right of the landless to ACQUIRE property. AND the Framers imposed their unfair Constitution on landless citizens without their advice or consent. What we have is a government of property owners, by property owners, and for property owners. When government infringes my right to acquire property, I must pay some property owner a premium for temporary, impaired use of the owner's property. That amounts to an effective tax on those whose right to acquire property is infringed.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post

It's not really conservatives, but pretty much just those bamboozled by the right-wing disinformation media who buy into that sort of bilge. The "hard earned" cliché gives it away every time.
You are just saying nonsensical words to me. You are combatting what you perceive to be right wing cliches with left wing cliches. You know that liberals do a great job of bamboozling their own when they are able to convince them that their money is not "hard earned". Personally, I work anywhere between 80 and 100 hours a week in some of the most stressful situations you could imagine. There is nothing you could possibly say that would convince me that my money is NOT hard earned. Maybe you live on passive income. Maybe you work some 40 hour a week, mundane job. I don't know what it is that you do that makes it so easy to fool you into believing people's money is not hard earned, but if you think others are not entitled to that view, you are sorely mistaken.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok but I'm asking you to explain how Mortgage Interest Deductions allow people to bid higher prices.

Two home seekers look at homes for sale, pull out calculators, say "if I pay $N for this house, the mortgage interest deduction will being my effective monthly payment to $X. But I can afford a monthly payment of $2X. Since I am competing with another bidder for this home, I need to outbid my opponent, so I'll offer $1.5N.

The mortgage interest deduction enabled the successful buyer to offer $1.5N rather than $N.

Just as so many consumers make poor personal finance decisions on the basis of EFFECTIVE MONTHLY payments, many homebuyers use the same thinking when buying a home.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 AM

106,708 posts, read 108,913,061 times
if you were only as fixated on having been able to earn an adult wage as you are on landlords and home ownership you would have been far better off

Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
It's not rocket science. If you can reap thousands upon thousands of actual dollars worth of actual tax reductions from your home purchase, you are going to be able to bid more for the place than you could without those extra thousands behind you.

Quote:
You're right. Taking the savings year over year throughout the length of the loan you're saving. How much depends how much the refi costs and what you do with the money "saved" . How many people actually put away the difference when they refi?
What makes so holy the notion of "putting away" the difference? Do you hold some sort of ascetic beliefs of other? No matter how they are taken, the cash benefits of a refi simply float into the same pot as your paycheck and other sources of revenue. How those accumulated balances are ultimately spent or not is and presumably should be a matter of some personal discretion.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You are just saying nonsensical words to me. You are combatting what you perceive to be right wing cliches with left wing cliches. You know that liberals do a great job of bamboozling their own when they are able to convince them that their money is not "hard earned". Personally, I work anywhere between 80 and 100 hours a week in some of the most stressful situations you could imagine. There is nothing you could possibly say that would convince me that my money is NOT hard earned. Maybe you live on passive income. Maybe you work some 40 hour a week, mundane job. I don't know what it is that you do that makes it so easy to fool you into believing people's money is not hard earned, but if you think others are not entitled to that view, you are sorely mistaken.
As actual conservatives would have known quite clearly, your personal situation is not relevant in even the slightest degree. Neither is mine. The "hard earned" cliché is meanwhile a hallmark of right-wing slop propaganda. If you want serious people of any stripe to take you seriously, you should stop the knee-jerk use of the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics