Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Refinancing allowed me to upgrade cash-flow by reducing my monthly mortgage payment, while at the same time padding my HMI deduction by front-loading the interest portion of those payments all over again. Win-win. The equity line bit provided a renewed low-interest ten-year draw period to buffer against having to liquidate performing assets in order to meet elective or other expenditure blips. Household Finance 101.
How many years were you into the original mortgage before re-financing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 01:48 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
It wouldn't have mattered, as you plainly don't understand. As the new rate I could refi into was more than 1% below the rate I had refi'd into previously, it made sense to go around the block yet again. Good work by me!

Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
It wouldn't have mattered, as you plainly don't understand. As the new rate I could refi into was more than 1% below the rate I had refi'd into previously, it made sense to go around the block yet again. Good work by me!
I understand perfectly. Why would you possibly think otherwise?

Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Of course the timeline you are at your mortgage when you refi matters. But keep thinking it doesn't and you're always "saving " money when you refi. Sometimes doing a refi is pointless.
I have a rental right now that makes no sense to refi even if I could. The savings just aren't there I'm not pulling money out and the mortgage balance is low that nobody would refi anyway.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
"Redistribution" requires taking from one and giving to another. One who deducts mortgage interest isn't being given anything.

When Bob takes the MID, how much more does Tom pay, and what is the mechanism by which this tax increase happens?

They ARE being given something at the STATE level because states MUST balance their books annually and cannot spend beyond their revenue.

If one quarter of a state's taxpayers takes MID, either the state must reduce spending or an equal amount of additional revenue must be raised.

Sometimes spending cannot be cut, as in the case of a politically sacred cow. In that case, the state MUST increase taxes on SOME taxpayers.

Because states cannot spend beyond their revenue, and because state tax revenue is reduced when taxpayers take MID, the state must either cut spending OR increase taxes on some or all taxpayers.

e.g. Michigan repealed all school operating millages in 1993, and immediately scrambled to raise OTHER taxes because a state cannot simply allow public schools to go unfunded. In exchange for the repeal of school millages, voters ended up with a higher sales tax and landlords/business owners ended up with a steep new school property tax.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
One would be very plainly saving $200. It is not going away as part of your monthly mortgage payment anymore. Like found money, it becomes yours free and clear to do with what you want.

Try doing THAT with rent. (TM)

Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm listening to conservative talk radio and these hosts are talking about proposed tax reform.

They just claimed that if the mortgage interest deduction were repealed, new home sales would tank, leading to economic losses (fewer jobs etc).

Really? I rather doubt that. Any data to support or oppose the claim?
It's always been a factor in my calculations.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
You are correct, it isn't the government's money.

It is Other Taxpayers' Money, redistributed by government to favored homeowners.

In the absence of MID, that $70 billion would be retained by other taxpayers in the form of lower nominal rates under revenue-neutral taxation.

In this regard, I disagree with most liberals and most conservatives.
No, wrong again. It's the individual's money. No money is being taken from taxpayer A, and given to taxpayer B as a payment.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
They ARE being given something at the STATE level because states MUST balance their books annually and cannot spend beyond their revenue.

If one quarter of a state's taxpayers takes MID, either the state must reduce spending or an equal amount of additional revenue must be raised.

Sometimes spending cannot be cut, as in the case of a politically sacred cow. In that case, the state MUST increase taxes on SOME taxpayers.

Because states cannot spend beyond their revenue, and because state tax revenue is reduced when taxpayers take MID, the state must either cut spending OR increase taxes on some or all taxpayers.

e.g. Michigan repealed all school operating millages in 1993, and immediately scrambled to raise OTHER taxes because a state cannot simply allow public schools to go unfunded. In exchange for the repeal of school millages, voters ended up with a higher sales tax and landlords/business owners ended up with a steep new school property tax.
MID is a federal writeoff not state. If states allow it that is on them. My state doesn't allow many writeoffs, including mortgage.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:46 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
MID is a federal writeoff not state. If states allow it that is on them. My state doesn't allow many writeoffs, including mortgage.
Hmmm. You have claimed to live in zip code 27616 which is Raleigh, NC. Mortgage interest is in fact deductible under North Carolina tax law. There is however a cap of $20,000 on the sum of mortgage interest and property taxes that can be deducted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics