Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM

698 posts, read 568,596 times

Advertisements

YMMV. The last thing I did before retiring was to refinance the mortgage back out to 30 years. Lower payments certainly helped the cash-flow, as did resetting the deductible home mortgage interest schedule. For many people, the mortgage is the cheapest debt they will ever have. Why be in a rush to get rid of a bargain?

The point of course is that people and their situations are all different. One size does not necessarily fit all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
it only pays to keep the mortgage if the person has the discipline ,knowledge and pucker factor to invest elsewhere .

the reality is most do not . way to many have good intentions but exhibit bad investor behavior and end up behind the curve shelling out more to keep the mortgage than they benefit from it ..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,437,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
YMMV. The last thing I did before retiring was to refinance the mortgage back out to 30 years. Lower payments certainly helped the cash-flow, as did resetting the deductible home mortgage interest schedule. For many people, the mortgage is the cheapest debt they will ever have. Why be in a rush to get rid of a bargain?

The point of course is that people and their situations are all different. One size does not necessarily fit all.
Saying every situation is different in finance is the equivalent of saying that water is wet. While sure, it may improve cash flow and it also may free up funds to generate higher returns elsewhere....I still think it would be rare to be a good idea.

The mortgage may be cheap as far as the interest rate but it's on a much larger base. Debt payments are creeping up to $300,000 over a lifetime for the average American, and I'm sure the majority of that is on a mortgage. Bargain? On another mortgage? I'm not so sure.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM

as long as you get more than you pay it is a bargain . spending 300k and mking 600k is a good deal .

Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,755,464 times
I don’t understand why people stay in the US when they retire. It is expensive. The day I hit 55 I’m selling it all and. I am outa here. Off to Central America or another affordable and beautiful place where breakfast costs a buck, beer is .75 cents at a bar and you can buy a castle on the beach for $80k.

People who stick around in the US are suckers.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM

why ? because our kids ,our family ,friends ,and grand kids are here .how is that for a reason ? priceless!

not only would i NEVER think of retiring outside the country , we will not move to far out of the area they are all in . we can't stop them from ever leaving but it is not something we would do .

Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,437,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I don’t understand why people stay in the US when they retire. It is expensive. The day I hit 55 I’m selling it all and. I am outa here. Off to Central America or another affordable and beautiful place where breakfast costs a buck, beer is .75 cents at a bar and you can buy a castle on the beach for $80k.

Maybe people's reason are more than financial? They could have family? Friends? Memories? Don't want to move into a totally new culture? Don't want to be somewhere with different language? Need access to high quality medical care?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,119,091 times
I worked with computers and robotics. Even so I did not see age discrimination.

Sure there were a lot of young people in the field. I also worked for people often considerably younger than me. So what? It should be the ability of the individual and not their age that is the main consideration for employment. In IT or engineering or any other high tech field, it is common to see older employees fall behind. New grads often have studied and been exposed to the newest in technology. The older worker may think they are keeping up but often are only up to date on the technology in their immediate field. The younger worker often has broader knowledge that is useful for adapting and implementing changing technology. I do not see this as age discrimination. I do not see this as an issue that the employer has created. It is the employees responsibility to maintain and grow their skills and knowledge.

My employers often helped at least to a minimal extent by contributing time off and some expenses towards conventions, seminars and workshops. I saw a lot of employees take advantage of that and have a good time at conventions when they should have been learning. I was also able to spend some of my work time keeping up with my field. In addition I spent a great deal of energy and my own time.

I think age discrimination is a minimal issue. Sex discrimination is not. Being a male, I have not suffered but I have seen it all my life. Women, especially in the tech fields, have a rough time.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

lol,

Well I've been called worst by way better people than you so I'm good with it.

And if I were to retire outside of the US the next to last place I'd go is Central America.
Honduras? really
Nicaragua? Oh hell no

Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM

i wouldn't even vacation in those places ,forget about living there . i would rather keep working than resort to those choices .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics