U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM
 
17,624 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Reputation: 12858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
All of my packages that are sent via FedEx/UPS arrive on FedEx/UPS trucks.

Maybe you haven't taken into account that there are regional differences.

I’m not discussing regional difference. It is cheaper for FedEx/ups to use the postal service for final delivery and even more so when you are talking about residential delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2018, 03:00 PM
 
173 posts, read 50,599 times
Reputation: 515
With the increase in price will there be more competence as the post office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,407 posts, read 14,492,810 times
Reputation: 9213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
All my purchases that are fulfilled by Amazon travel only the final leg (my central USPS to my home) via USPS. Either Amazon is using their own fleet to deliver to my central USPS or they are using a contract carrier. Probably both.


Well our situations are different. I don't have doctor bills or co-pays. All such money talk is between my healthcare providers and my insurance carriers. I pay my dental bills via CC at time of service.

As a small business owner I do use USPS although I'm retiring in January.

Mailing in your ballot is optional. You can drop your mail-in ballot at any polling place on election day. Drop it at the US Consulate if you are out of the country.

All I really want is for USPS to become a totally private company, same as FedEx or UPS. Then without government subsidy they can sink or swim on their own.

Private business will always provide any service that is in demand.
I forget how Amazon does it because I think it depends on where Amazon hubs are located to be quite honest. For me it is Vegas or Phoenix so when I did have Prime, I would typically get three day shipping even if I did no rush.

It isn't just my situation, it is others. In Arizona not many doctors actually charge you at the time of service for whatever reason. Maybe it is wait until insurance adjusts the price. I think only my ENT charged before. It don't matter whether you talk clinics or actual doctors.

As for the USPS I am fairly certain it could swim if not for the prepaid pension deal. I'm surprised it hasn't been reversed yet but it seems Congress is in no hurry to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM
 
18,259 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not discussing regional difference. It is cheaper for FedEx/ups to use the postal service for final delivery and even more so when you are talking about residential delivery.


Unlike USPS, FedEx, UPS and other private package delivery companies do not have a nationwide coast to coast delivery mandate. Nor is it truly cost effective for them to do so and or even possible.


For certain rural and other areas of the USA everyone knows FedEx, UPS and others use USPS for "last mile" of delivery.


FedEx ground service in particular relies upon USPS because unlike UPS it is not a totally in house scheme.


FedEx got into ground package delivery by mainly buying up DHL and other companies. Even so it took years after the thing was started to bring FedEx ground into their main (air) delivery business. More so unlike UPS FedEx ground routes are franchise operations. You can *buy* one or more routes just like opening a Dunkin Donuts or 7 Eleven.


Since USPS is mandated to go everywhere in USA, it just makes good business sense for UPS and the others to palm off packages going to "Podunk, USA" rather than try to establish a delivery network for what may be a small to very limited number of deliveries per year.


Remember also UPS and FedEx make their money two ways; they deliver *and* collect packages. Just sending a truck out to make deliveries with nothing coming back on return trip isn't financially sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:09 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,549 posts, read 14,051,705 times
Reputation: 9663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not discussing regional difference. It is cheaper for FedEx/ups to use the postal service for final delivery and even more so when you are talking about residential delivery.
FedEx and UPS are NOT doing that in my service area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
With the increase in price will there be more competence as the post office?
Sorry, I had to laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:27 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,549 posts, read 14,051,705 times
Reputation: 9663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Remember also UPS and FedEx make their money two ways; they deliver *and* collect packages. Just sending a truck out to make deliveries with nothing coming back on return trip isn't financially sound.
You can schedule USPS pick-ups too: online.

I hadn't considered the USPS mandate to deliver to rural areas, but I also see plenty of mailboxes at dirt roads around the Southwest. Some make arrangements with stores in towns, in rural areas. I'm sure there are some areas that are too rural for even USPS to deliver.

By the way, there is a great USPS service that is absolutely free. You can open an account with them (free account, all you need is some email address) and they email you each day with mail and packages they intend to deliver that day, often including photos of incoming mail. (Photos are not 100% of the time.) If they don't say they have some letters with no photos, if it's all junk I know to not bother walking the 400 feet to my CBU.

I really like my letter carrier. I often walk up to the CBU and chat with her while she's sorting. She is a very nice lady. .... I also yell out "Thanks!" as my FedEx or UPS driver is walking back to his/her truck. I just love these surrogate Santa Claus people!

I like showing my appreciation to these hard working people of all delivery services. I want them to know that at least some customers appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM
 
11,896 posts, read 14,364,183 times
Reputation: 7526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, USPS is constitutionally required to "continue to operate".


Two, the thing would be on far firmer footing if both GOP and DNC politicians would stop messing with USPS and let it get on. Much of the interference comes from the postal workers unions who don't want this or that to affect what they see as a safe gig for life.


Case in point, there is no sane reason why USPS lone among any private company, branch of US government or whatever should be required to fund pensions for twenty years out. Congress makes no such requirement on private enterprises. Indeed they have often bent over backwards to accommodate often to the harm of retirees.
To say nothing of the Franking privilege. And even government agencies are not require to fund pensions ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:31 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,549 posts, read 14,051,705 times
Reputation: 9663
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
To say nothing of the Franking privilege. And even government agencies are not require to fund pensions ahead of time.
Big mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:39 PM
 
18,259 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You can schedule USPS pick-ups too: online.

I hadn't considered the USPS mandate to deliver to rural areas, but I also see plenty of mailboxes at dirt roads around the Southwest. Some make arrangements with stores in towns, in rural areas. I'm sure there are some areas that are too rural for even USPS to deliver.

By the way, there is a great USPS service that is absolutely free. You can open an account with them (free account, all you need is some email address) and they email you each day with mail and packages they intend to deliver that day, often including photos of incoming mail. (Photos are not 100% of the time.) If they don't say they have some letters with no photos, if it's all junk I know to not bother walking the 400 feet to my CBU.

I really like my letter carrier. I often walk up to the CBU and chat with her while she's sorting. She is a very nice lady. .... I also yell out "Thanks!" as my FedEx or UPS driver is walking back to his/her truck. I just love these surrogate Santa Claus people!

I like showing my appreciation to these hard working people of all delivery services. I want them to know that at least some customers appreciate them!
Unless things have changed you can only schedule Priority Mail collections online. If you want to use the slower ground rates, then off to the post office you must go....


We have a USPS account, and yes know all about the emails regarding packages/mail arriving. Had it for a few weeks then turned it off; too darn annoying. *LOL*


Still get tracking notices for packages sent or being delivered, and that is good enough.


Just found this about USPS delivery to rural and other areas; so my previous post may need to be amended: https://www.serviceobjects.com/blog/...ted-may-think/


This jives with places one knows like Alpine, New Jersey, where mail is delivered to central post office and residents must fetch it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Reputation: 40527
A few years ago I had to send a set of documents via UPS (as directed by the recipient). Turns out UPS did not deliver to the location, nor did FedEx. Not even last mile delivery.

I ended up sending them through the Post Office. Recipient never mentioned it when we finally met a couple weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top