Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Last trip to Wal Mart the clerk undercounted my 42 cans by 10. I thought the total looked wrong, I asked her, she said no, that's right.

I did the math at home and I knew I was right. About ten bucks difference.

Short story shorter, I went a couple of days later (today) back to customer service and said I was undercharged. The girl there fixed it sort of, the total was not the total I came up with.

So will the clerk get fired? Wally would never have caught this because the count and total was right, on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I really doubt she will get fired. I did once get someone fired and that was not my intention especially under the circumstances. We were on a cruise ship, our waiter got too friendly with my daughter, Kissing her on the cheek one morning at breakfast. We complained to the Captain, and the waiter was put off the ship at the next port.
We felt bad, had expected a repromand of something of the sort.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Might have cost her an hour’s wage.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My policy on this is that I will bring it to their attention, and if they don't fix it, I let it go and accept the gift. I would not have gone back, you were honest and ethical by telling her. If the clerk does this on a regular basis she's not likely to be there much longer, but it's not my problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Last trip to Wal Mart the clerk undercounted my 42 cans by 10. I thought the total looked wrong, I asked her, she said no, that's right.

I did the math at home and I knew I was right. About ten bucks difference.

Short story shorter, I went a couple of days later (today) back to customer service and said I was undercharged. The girl there fixed it sort of, the total was not the total I came up with.

So will the clerk get fired? Wally would never have caught this because the count and total was right, on paper.
Depends on company policy, Wal Mart's tolerance for mistakes, and if the employee has received other complaints. If it were me, I would not have said anything - $10 is not going to make or break a huge corporation like Wal Mart and it wouldn't be worth having someone reprimanded or fired for an oversight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I did once get someone fired and that was not my intention especially under the circumstances. We were on a cruise ship, our waiter got too friendly with my daughter, Kissing her on the cheek one morning at breakfast.
IMO, this ^ is worthy of a termination.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
I really doubt she will get fired. I did once get someone fired and that was not my intention especially under the circumstances. We were on a cruise ship, our waiter got too friendly with my daughter, Kissing her on the cheek one morning at breakfast. We complained to the Captain, and the waiter was put off the ship at the next port.
Cruise industry is ruthless. That’s common for even minor infractions.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Good grief... kissing on the cheek in many of their cultures is the equivalent of a hand shake in ours. I spend 4 weeks on a cruise ship every year.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Large stores track inventory and cashier activity at the end of each day. Walmart would've discovered the error.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Good grief... kissing on the cheek in many of their cultures is the equivalent of a hand shake in ours. I spend 4 weeks on a cruise ship every year.
I was thinking the same thing. But then again it wasn't my daughter.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Large stores track inventory and cashier activity at the end of each day. Walmart would've discovered the error.
How would they track it to her register?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics