Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And, yet the Federal Reserve, the US Treasury Department, the Congressional Budget Office, the Congressional Research Office and a study by Ohio State University all prove conclusively that higher capital gains tax rates result in lower revenues, while lower capital gains tax rates result in higher revenues.

It may not be logical, and it might be counter-intuitive, but those are the facts.

Not only is that true in the US, it is true in other foreign States.

Italy lowered its capital gains tax to 12.5% and saw revenues increase dramatically.
I stated as such as well, in fact that was my argument for it. Read the thread.

I said those who worry about big government should understand that raising CGT lowers investment, lowering tax revenue which makes the government weaker and less capable of practicing imperialism or promoting corporate power.

Either way CGT hurts both state and corporate power.

edit: here is what I wrote-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't want the government to do anything, but power restricts freedom regardless of in what form.

Corporate power regulates freedom to the same degree as state power, that is why the government will never raise Capital Gains Taxes to 90%, because it will hurt government revenues in the long term.

It would weaken state power, not strengthen it.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
This country/system requires an individual to have wealth or suffer.

Property taxes, irrigation, and credit make people reliant on wages, while poverty is made miserable by crime, treatment, and police violence to make sure no one can live that life.

There was a time when people who live in their own houses, grow their own food, and work with the community for wider projects like water ways and schools. Now you need money to live peacefully and with freedom.

Any excess wealth I have I give away, I am the kindest person in the world.
Excess? All wealth, get rid of it, live on nothing.

You have no proof that you are the kindest person in the world, therefore you're lying. If you'll lie about that, nothing you say can be believed.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Did you even take a high school economics class? You are putting buying land in the same category as buying stocks?

Because a vacant piece of land and a business both produce nothing????? wow...
1. That is not how CGT work, read up what non-inventory capital is.

2. They do, and the person who owns them is not the one creating the production.

Secondly when land raises in value, wealth is not being created.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Excess? All wealth, get rid of it, live on nothing.

You have no proof that you are the kindest person in the world, therefore you're lying. If you'll lie about that, nothing you say can be believed.
one of the kindest.

There are others of course, I just dedicate myself to helping others.

Also this thread isn't about me. Believe me, don't, that's not what it's about.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
one of the kindest.

There are others of course, I just dedicate myself to helping others.

Also this thread isn't about me. Believe me, don't, that's not what it's about.
Need to be careful with your proclamations, once credibility (you really didn't have) is lost, it's difficult to regain.

This thread is about nothing, which is what your ideas are, nothing.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Need to be careful with your proclamations, once credibility (you really didn't have) is lost, it's difficult to regain.

This thread is about nothing, which is what your ideas are, nothing.
Raising capital gains tax will lower corporate investment focusing money on community cooperatives and business and lowering government revenue in the long run.

Are these things you agree with?

Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I suspect this thread will follow the path of your previous thread:

Do executives deserve the majority of their company's output?
Well in that thread it took many pages of Winterfell lecturing authoritatively on the role of management and running a business before he admitted he'd never actually managed anything.

At least this time we got it out of the way on page one that he's not an investor.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Raising capital gains tax will lower corporate investment focusing money on community cooperatives and business and lowering government revenue in the long run.

nope, raising capital gains tax will only get politicians who approved the increase replaced in office by other politicians who will lower capital gains tax.

the thought of anything else happening is just stupid.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Quote:
1. That is not how CGT work, read up what non-inventory capital is.

2. They do, and the person who owns them is not the one creating the production.

Secondly when land raises in value, wealth is not being created.

I don't need to read up on anything. Businesses sell stock in order to grow, which leads to more hiring and more production. Come on, this is very basic stuff. It's almost like you are trying to not make sense.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:

your definition of community cooperatives also means segregation... ever notice when the local mom and pops stores were prevalent that the communities were more segregated? mom and pop stores hire people they like, do business with people they like, build around people they like, etc

when businesses don't have to worry about a broader reach, they don't have to cater to a more diverse people, and they can't get larger without investments because no one has that much money, and banks won't loan that much either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics