Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:17 PM

372 posts, read 220,210 times

Advertisements

Non American here, so forgive my ignorance

Just read an article in Huff post about Bernie Sanders becoming a millionaire. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what a Bernie Sanders might be.

The term 'progressive taxation" was mentioned, as if the US doesn't have it. I always assumed US had a progressive tax system. IE the higher your income ,the higher the percentage tax you pay.

Eg in Oz, below a certain income, no income tax is payable. Minimum rate is 35%, then it goes up to 42%. I forget the maximum rate. Of course rich people pay nothing like that.

There is saying here "I want to be rich enough not to pay taxes"

I know the economist Keynes is out of favour. Not with me. That's because in the great financial meltdown, governments all over the world defaulted to Keynesian economics to deal with the problem. Instead of allowing the market to adjust, governments made massive loans to business.

MY POINT; Keynes said that for a healthy economy, 3 things are needed;

Full employment ;defined as no more than 3% unemployed

High wages

HighTaxation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 AM

456 posts, read 348,796 times
Was this the article you saw?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/berni...b082aab08676b2

Old 04-14-2019, 02:14 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
The US does have a progressive tax system. In terms of federal income tax, the bottom 44% of wage earners pay nothing.

Any married couple making under $78,750 pays no capital gains tax today.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:34 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
It's not a crime to write a book and make a lot of money but Bernie the millionaire is a hypocrite.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:40 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
If the OP has a question, I missed it. I can't see this thread being anything but a black mirror to provoke a debate about how holy/hypocritical Bernie is, without even a guiding first thought or question.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:02 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
I read an article about Bernie’s tax policy once.

It made me laugh and then I closed the article never to think of it again...until this very moment.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM

372 posts, read 220,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The US does have a progressive tax system. In terms of federal income tax, the bottom 44% of wage earners pay nothing.

Any married couple making under $78,750 pays no capital gains tax today.

44% Fluck! How many people is that

At what point does income tax become payable?

What about indirect tax?

We have local and federal. By law, all advertised prices, must include tax. Each state has its own sales tax, and the federal government has a 10% goods and services tax. Proceeds from this tax are distributed proportionately to the states. Plus of course there is the 2.5% medicare levy.

Sale of one's domicile does not attract capital gains tax. You must have lived in a property for a year.

An aside: Japan has the highest rate of private saving in the world. There is no tax payable on interest from personal savings. I have no idea of the cut off point .

Perhaps unrelated; it is traditional in Japan for the wife to handle all family income.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post

What about indirect tax?

We have local and federal. By law, all advertised prices, must include tax. Each state has its own sales tax, and the federal government has a 10% goods and services tax. Proceeds from this tax are distributed proportionately to the states. Plus of course there is the 2.5% medicare levy.

Sale of one's domicile does not attract capital gains tax. You must have lived in a property for a year.

An aside: Japan has the highest rate of private saving in the world. There is no tax payable on interest from personal savings. I have no idea of the cut off point .

Perhaps unrelated; it is traditional in Japan for the wife to handle all family income.
The first $24k can be deducted as a family. Then you also get $2000 per kid as a family tax credit. So roughly $60,000 USD for a family of four. My wife and I paid $60,000 in federal taxes this year alone. We also paid almost $20k in state and local taxes.

Taxes for lower and mid level income earners in the US are fairly low. The top 10% of households in the US earn $180k and up, and there are about 130 million households here.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
About 75 million, but the figure is widely misrepresented. It is NOT 44% (or 47%) of all those who work or have income; it is 44% of all Americans. It includes those with no income (about 40%) and many with income too low to incur any tax liability. It includes marginal earners who get tax breaks and credits that eliminate tax liability. And it refers to federal income tax alone - not other payroll taxes and deductions, which are largely not floored or exempted for anyone, not sales taxes, not even state income taxes. NO ONE in the US pays "no taxes," and those who slide under income tax limits take disproportionate hits on the others.

Quote:
An aside: Japan has the highest rate of private saving in the world. There is no tax payable on interest from personal savings.
Taxation of savings interest is largely trivial (especially in this long era of trivial interest rates) and has very little to do with the low rate of US savings.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:

What about indirect tax?

2.5% medicare levy? Is that like American medicare, for senior citizens, or national health care for everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics