Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Five Guys is quite expensive, but quite good as well. Of course, they likely need to throw in a coronary bypass with each meal
I've often thought a meal at The Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas should come with a side of Crestor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill

The waitresses are dressed up as nurses. Instead of taking orders, they write prescriptions. Customers are issued a hospital gown and wristband and are referred to as "patients."

The menu is straightforward. A single patty? That's a "Single Bypass." A double? That's a "Double Bypass." The menu goes all the way up to an "Octuple Bypass."

If you weigh in at 350lb or up on the in-restaurant scale, you eat for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
The thing is, I would suspect an average In-N-Out is pulling in $350K-$450K/week, with some like the one on the Las Vegas strip doing a cool million a week easy.
The one just off the Strip at Tropicana & Dean Martin does even more volume. It also has a separate building with a large gift shop with people lined up to buy logo'd apparel.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:28 AM

an interesting article on In-N-Out. Employees love the CEO.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline...s-lynsi-snyder

Old 05-18-2019, 10:01 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No job paying into six figures is a "great job" by the standards of anyone who chafes at hour 41 in a week, or any aspect that goes out the front door.

It's a lot of money for a lot of responsibility and effort.
Yes, people should realize that no employer is going to pay you six figures without you sacrificing a lot and dealing with a lot of crap. It doesn’t matter what profession we are talking about. Always remember that the chickens will come home to roost.

Comes with the territory.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:46 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've often thought a meal at The Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas should come with a side of Crestor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill
Now, the people sit down to eat Big Mac
At the shopping mall.
And every bite is a massive dose
Of the cholesterol.
In your blood Big Mac congeal
Into deadly plaque.
One day a greaseball jam your valve...
Whoops! A Big Mac attack.

- John Forster

Old 05-18-2019, 12:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
There's something to be said for staying the course with jobs that society generally considers less desirable. This was true with the military, in the draft era, before it became super competitive and regained respect in the public viewpoint.

Young people seem to want something glamorous, with an instant big payday. Not to mention the common tossing around of the word "loser", towards people who hold these jobs, that tends to exert peer group pressure to avoid said occupations.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Young people seem to want something glamorous, with an instant big payday. Not to mention the common tossing around of the word "loser", towards people who hold these jobs, that tends to exert peer group pressure to avoid said occupations.
I think the view of the job is largely earned because of stores that are owned by someone who has little to do with day-to-day operations and hires relatively low-level managers who in turn hire slave-level "assistant managers" to grind out the hours. Not every fast food place has a highly paid manager.

But for a good chain and a good owner, yes, managing can be very challenging and appropriately compensated.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There are plenty of jobs in that range with do not require an academic degree. Fast food store managers earn their pay!
I was in a Burger King along the freeway Tuesday night when a bus full of high school baseball players rolled in. It was evening staff, with the manager, a cook, a counter person and a drive through person as the only staff. The manager was laying out buns in the kitchen and filling fryers before the first order was placed. Once the kitchen was in high gear, he moved to a second register and started taking orders. When the burgers started flying out of the kitchen, he moved to filling orders and dispensing drinks. All this time the drive through was functioning normally, and I doubt the people in their cars even knew the joint was jammed.

The only holdup was the typical freeway Bozon who waited until they got to the register to read the menu. The kids knew what they wanted. Everybody had their order within 15 minutes of walking in the door. Not bad. This was 8:30 at night, and I'm sure the manager was well into a long day. He was earning his money. If you want school bus business, you have to be able to handle a school bus full of hungry teenagers.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was in a Burger King along the freeway Tuesday night when a bus full of high school baseball players rolled in.
The BK in my former rural area, the only fast food place within get-it-home-warm range, was a highway stop with three-bus parking and (apparently) a working relationship with the many NYC-Boston bus companies. I started off groaning if I got there to see a bus or two (especially ones just pulling in), but as you describe, if anything that meant faster, more attentive service and freshly-made everything.

The manager who was on duty most of the time was - again, as you note - very, very involved and good at his job.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I came to believe that In-N-Outs came from the factory with a line of 20 cars for the drive-up.

Never understood the rabid obsession with the chain. Decent burgers, a little pricey, but absolutely nothing special. I chalk it up to cult status, like Coors beer before it went national.
little pricey? You’re kidding.
As far as cult status....yeah 20/30 cars in a drive through as soon as they open till they close tells me it’s more than cult status. One in and out in Irvine is doing three drive throughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics