Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have a bachelor of science degree from my state’s flagship university and I certainly consider myself to be “educated.”

Sometimes life is exactly like a movie. The scarecrow, tin man, and the lion got something else trivial instead.

Here'a a poster with a diploma "proving" he is educated. WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Social Class: What exactly does "educated" mean?-oz.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
I keep hearing people throw around the word "educated" to describe people who are rich in some capacity or who are gentrifiers in my area, as opposed to the salt of the earth common people in society.

Does this simply mean one who has a college degree, or does it mean someone who has a college degree from an elite school? I don't consider myself "educated" but I have a degree due to living in a state that has a low cost 4 year college program (not every state has cheap "city" colleges).
Not even worried about it. I'm doing fine with my high school diploma and $0 in student debt.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 13,792 times
I do not think being "educated" is restricted to what formal education you have obtained (i.e., having your ticket punched education-wise). I think there are lots and lots of folks who are educated who never went to college, and are articulate, considerate, thoughtful, well read, etc.

I like this definition from an article in Forbes magazine:

"... a demonstrated ability to listen carefully, to think critically, to evaluate facts rigorously, to reason analytically, to imagine creatively, to articulate interesting questions, to explore alternative viewpoints, to maintain intellectual curiosity and to speak and write persuasively ..."

Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Educated means being "woke" and a social justice warrior obtaining numerous advanced degrees in gender studies and angry white male studies while paying $200K+ for your "education."
So true, but we can't actually SAY it. We have to play like this is not the case I start talking like this in other forums and man do I get a beating lol!

Anyway, "educated" these days means something different. A while ago, it used to be more about critical thinking, developmental skills, etc, that you didn't necessarily have to go to college for. Now days, based on a lot of social media crap, it is about obtaining a degree in something you are not interested in, and how many countries you have visited (I really don't understand the latter).

Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I don't waste any time wondering about whether or not people consider me to be "educated." I mean it, not one iota of my brain space is devoted to wondering about this. I know I am well read, well traveled and well informed, and I constantly want to learn more, read more, explore more. I consider education to be a lifetime choice and a lifestyle as well.

My dad had a bachelor's degree but over time it became basically useless and even obsolete. But what impressed me the most about his intellect and intelligence and yes, his education, was that it never stopped - he never reached a stage in his life where he was no longer interested in learning more. When he passed away unexpectedly from a stroke, he was still reading and studying books that I found in his office, at his desk, on a variety of subjects. Go, Dad! He also loved travel and kept traveling, domestically and internationally, till he was literally physically unable to do so. That is how I want to live my life, and so far so good!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
So true, but we can't actually SAY it. We have to play like this is not the case I start talking like this in other forums and man do I get a beating lol!

Anyway, "educated" these days means something different. A while ago, it used to be more about critical thinking, developmental skills, etc, that you didn't necessarily have to go to college for. Now days, based on a lot of social media crap, it is about obtaining a degree in something you are not interested in, and how many countries you have visited (I really don't understand the latter).
I agree with some of this but I also find that international travel has really broadened my interest in and understanding of society in general. To put it very simplistically, I realized via international travel that there is more than one right way to do something in many cases. And there are also very entrenched reasons, developed over centuries, as to why people from different societies behave and believe uniquely. I would not personally have fully grasped that without experiencing different cultures first hand.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-19-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics