Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The country with the best economic system is:
Canada 7 8.33%
Japan 5 5.95%
Germany 12 14.29%
China 3 3.57%
United States 43 51.19%
Denmark 2 2.38%
Norway 6 7.14%
Australia 6 7.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Lots more opportunity for us
I'm pretty sure by economic opportunity he wasn't referring to being able to move somewhere retired and spend less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:24 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The US economy already provides access to good shelter, water, healthy food and the best health care.

By the same token, then, every citizen should have:

- the OBLIGATION to eat healthy food, and avoid junk food like the plague, which it is, a plague;

- the OBLIGATION to drink healthy water, and not sugar-contaminated poison;

- the OBLIGATION to at least engage in some daily physical movement;

and therein lies the best health care that individual citizens can give to themselves individually and collectively;

- the OBLIGATION not to take on a financial commitment for more shelter than they can afford.

Adults of able body and mind sitting around, whining and complaining, waiting for others to provide the basics, which they already have access to, can never be right.

True, we all do also have the OBLIGATION to provide young people with access to every opportunity possible to help them prosper, which includes strict education in healthy lifestyle choices, and to help others who have suffered misfortune despite trying to do the right thing, but not to deliver them "rights" for the sake of it.

Because it simply doesn't work that way, not even in la-la land.

Now, I could agree that the US needs better policies to ease access to health care services, which may include a single-payer system (meaning everybody pays through one financial intermediary), but it is a complex issue riddled with special interests, and indeed it's disgusting.

Good Luck!
And just how do you plan to impose these "obligations"??????

Far out! und seig Hiel!

Old 02-19-2020, 12:09 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
The last time I went to the doctor, I was charged $500 for a dose of Tylenol. Not a bottle, an effing dose. And about 7-9 minutes face-time with a nurse and P.A.

I have insurance through my job. Goes toward my $1700 deductible, which goes up every year. And for this privilege, my employer is paying about $16k per year to the insurance company on my behalf, and I'm paying about $2.5k. We have to spend $20k per year before they'll pay for my damn urgent care visit to check my throat. Keep in mind that my clinic's website says that "sore throat" is something for urgent care, so I did what I was supposed to.

Any country that finds that acceptable does not have the best system.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:07 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And just how do you plan to impose these "obligations"??????
They should take it upon themselves as ideologically pure libertarian curmudgeons, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics