Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 12:59 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times

Advertisements

I've used Zelle and found it works really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 03:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
User friendly?!
First hiccup I had to add my debit card because it wasn't working with my bank account.
Second hiccup I uninstalled & reinstalled.
Today it wouldn't work again. No one can tell me what's going on or how to fix it. I've tried any suggestions I can find.

WTH am I doing wrong? (Answer: using Venmo)

Old 09-07-2022, 03:36 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Yeah, and there's the fact that a different person kept answering my emails that were attempting to resolve the cluster.

I had to give up. So Venmo owes me $45 plus interest for years

Again, it's the principal of the thing. Both times Venmo was at fault and both times Venmo refused to resolve the situation in favor of a customer who was in the right.

How many other people's "$45" or more have been kept by Venmo, to its benefit?? I will wager thousands. Tens of thousands.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:33 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
It came in handy at a Bronx international food night market. Another time was when we were out for dinner with friends and they did not want to pay a credit card surcharge.

Old 09-08-2022, 04:17 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I thought the same thing about Airbnb and car rentals....no I don't want to stay at someone's house or rent their personal vehicle...just old people getting old. Eventually I did get a zelle account because I wanted to buy precious metals on the pmsforsale subreddit, but they overlay there...I can get cheaper silver from dealers online.

Another reason I won't do Airbnb is I don't support buying single family residental real estate and not living in it. We do have an affordable housing problem.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:34 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Nothing "sketchy," necessarily, but I just find PayPal and Zelle to be waaaaaay more reliable and easier to navigate. My dog trainer requested I pay her via Venmo (it's what younger folks prefer for some reason), and it was giving me the runaround for days... finally gave up and used Facebook pay instead, since she didn't have PayPal set up. I eventually got the Venmo working again, but yeah. It was annoying to even request help from their customer service.

And I think my issue was similar to yours, where it simply wouldn't let me delete and replace the ancient debit card I'd stored in there originally. Also couldn't change my home address, and my colleague said it wouldn't let her change her surname after divorce. Do they not realize people move, get new accounts, divorce/marry, etc? Pretty inflexible system, I'd say.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I'm actually having the same trouble with PayPal, for years. They won't let me change my name on the account, but will allow me to use a credit card with a different name. They will only accept a divorce decree or a name change judgment paper, like no. Getting that to them in tangible form (which they require) is waaay more effort and it should not be required. So I decided to delete PayPal altogether. Hours of work, no go. Eveyrthing is tied in with my gmail account, long story short it's all intertwined and would have taken hours to sort out and re-do. That's how they get you - and keep you. (The foregoing is the very short version of a long boring frustrating story.) So PayPal is no better in terms of technical hassle but at least I'm able to log in and use it to make payments.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
You cannot change your name on your Paypal account,unless like you said with proper documents.
But you can have 5 email addresses for one Paypal account.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:49 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Venmo originally approached my wife's store saying that if total charges were under $20K than no 1099-K would be issued. (1099K is what is issued like a W-2 but from credit card processors).

That was basically the entire sales pitch....helping to facilitate tax fraud. We gave a hard pass.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:24 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you are doing person to person payments there is no reason to use PayPal/Venmo over Zelle. Zero. Zelle will facilitate the transfers between banks in real time at no cost and it’s available immediately. PayPal/Venmo/cash app etc are third party stops for your money
Zelle is a good way to send cash from person to person, as long as both parties have a USA bank account linked to Zelle. My bank has a direct sign up to Zelle in the app, and it has been quick and easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics