Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRoots View Post

I think grades should measure mastery.
A perfect teacher would get all kids to mastery.
So, if grades measured mastery then all "A's" would be a good goal.
With 25-35 students in a classroom, that (all A's) would mean that the top students have not been challenged at all. They would reach mastery immediately. Then what? There's no way that the lowest students in the class are going to learn just as much as the top students. In that way we aren't all equal. (I'm thinking of math in particular.)

I do think the goal should be mastery, but there will be different levels of mastery. Also, not all kids are equal in responsibility, diligence, etc., and grades do reflect these (assignments turned in on time, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times
If your students meet the minimum cut-off for an A, then they earned an A. Otherwise, no reason for complaints.

Can't say the same if you are using the bell curve.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I've worked in a low performing school and now a high performing one and I have roughly the same percentages of A's, B's, C's and F's. The instruction level should be geared for the middle of the class. Even in my high performing district, we have Pre-AP classes and regular math classes and the percentages are roughly the same. The Pre-AP tests are pretty tough, so the grades are similar to the easier tests in the regular classes. I know that not all the teachers do it this way. Many of them give their Pre-AP the easy tests and have no parent complaints when they all have A's. I definitely like to challenge my students and I tell those Pre-AP parents, whose students have made A's for 6 years and now are making C's, that before they were at the top of the totem pole and now they may not be. Instruction is adjusted for the class, so if they are no longer on the top, they will have to work harder.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I've worked in a low performing school and now a high performing one and I have roughly the same percentages of A's, B's, C's and F's. The instruction level should be geared for the middle of the class. Even in my high performing district, we have Pre-AP classes and regular math classes and the percentages are roughly the same. The Pre-AP tests are pretty tough, so the grades are similar to the easier tests in the regular classes. I know that not all the teachers do it this way. Many of them give their Pre-AP the easy tests and have no parent complaints when they all have A's. I definitely like to challenge my students and I tell those Pre-AP parents, whose students have made A's for 6 years and now are making C's, that before they were at the top of the totem pole and now they may not be. Instruction is adjusted for the class, so if they are no longer on the top, they will have to work harder.
Our son's Spanish teacher is a brutal grader-but his kids LEARN Spanish. Our daughter has a different teacher and the difference is pretty dramatic. We chatted with many other parents at parent/teacher conferences that were unhappy that their children were not getting A's and told them that we have noticed a drastic difference in what the kids have learned (we have twins). My husband had a similar style Spanish teacher in high school and ended up testing out of 3 years of college Spanish. We are just fine with having a challenging teacher

Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I would've just replied with, "The State of ____ sets the standards for your student's curriculum, not the individual school district or even the teacher. Your child's grade is a reflection of whether or not those standards were met."
That actually supports THEIR argument. While the state does set the standard, it doesn't set the level I test to. I can test whether or not you can balance chemical equations on many levels and claim to have met the standard with every one of them. Some would be easy A's and some would be difficult B's.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That actually supports THEIR argument. While the state does set the standard, it doesn't set the level I test to. I can test whether or not you can balance chemical equations on many levels and claim to have met the standard with every one of them. Some would be easy A's and some would be difficult B's.

Very true. Even within a state assessment the difficulty of the questions on the same concept can vary greatly.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
If your students meet the minimum cut-off for an A, then they earned an A. Otherwise, no reason for complaints.

Can't say the same if you are using the bell curve.
Why would there be reason for complaints with a bell curve? If the top 10% are capable of achieving X then X should set the bar for an A. If your child isn't in that top 10%, then their grade is relative.

The only thing I would not change is minimum proficiency. I wouldn't fail a student who has met the minimum but their grade would reflect they've only met the minimum.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Very true. Even within a state assessment the difficulty of the questions on the same concept can vary greatly.
Yup, if I gave my current students the test I gave at the charter school last year on the same material, I'd have 50% A's (sadly, I'd still have a couple of failures ). If I gave the students I had at the charter school the test I'm about to give my kids this year, I would have failed 50% of them.

I really wish we had standardized exit exams for core courses. That's where the difference in schools would really show. As it is, it's up to the individual teacher. I could take the attitude that my students have surpassed the students in the next district over so they all get A's or recognize that the kids I have now need the bar set higher, which will show when they go to college.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What would happen if everyone does poorly on a test lets say. Saying that, still some kids would do better than others. Lets say that a single child answered 50% of the questions correctly and the remainder of the class answered from 0% on up to 50% correct. Do you still give out an A? Or if a spelling test is given and all the students answer correctly how does the bell curve work then? In as much as this is acedemic and only for our knowledge and is not meant to cause too large of stir, could you explain how the bell curve is benefitial towards my two examples?
If that happened, I would take it to mean I needed to reteach the material. I would not give any A's but I would not move on either.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yep. My wife's best friend has a daughter who was a straight A student in school. Her mother bragged a great deal about her perfect grades, blah blah blah. Yet, in normal conversations with this girl, I never saw shining intelligence. She didn't like to read, had no curiosity about the outside world, and generally expected her parents to do everything for her. In fact, I suspect the daughter made perfect grades because her mother pretty much pushed, prodded, and helped the poor girl every step of the way.

She made a 21 on her ACT. She took it again and made something like a 22. Evidently, never was able to get her score above a 23. What's more, we know other kids who attend non-demanding schools who, if you look at their report cards, you'd think were luminaries. But the standardized tests show that they're just average.
I think colleges realize that not all A's are created equal. That's why they require testing in addition to grades. I have one girl in my class who is a validictorian contender. She barely squeeks by getting an A. I have other kids who breeze through high A's. Some kids are just willing to put the work in to get the A even though they're not among the brightest in their class. That, usually, means something too. It's a different strength but it's a strength. It's not all about what you know. Sometimes, it's about your willingness to work hard. Both can get you far in life.

OTOH, I've seen some really bright kids who wouldn't work. What good is that? I had one student, last year, who has to have a high IQ. Just talking to him you know he's intelligent. Didn't stop him from failing my class. If he ever chooses to use what he's given, he'll do well but until he's willing to do the work, his gift is useless. I'd rather have a not so bright kid who is willing to work hard to suceeed than a bright kid who doesn't want to work.

There are, however, schools that make A's too easy though and colleges know who they are by comparing grades to test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education