Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

What time frame?
What changes were made to the system occurred during this time period? What corrective action has been taken and the result from that?

I am sure this area has been studied and we know what is wrong and how to fix it. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What time frame?
What changes were made to the system occurred during this time period? What corrective action has been taken and the result from that?

I am sure this area has been studied and we know what is wrong and how to fix it. Right?

Did it decline? Are you just assuming it declined? Where? Everywhere? Some places only? Using what metrics? How do we know it didn't improve?

What do you mean by "Education"? Test scores? Graduation rates? College acceptance rates?

What do you mean by "decline"? Average achievement? Higher number of low achievers? Lower number of high achievers? Increased costs to educate someone?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did it decline? Are you just assuming it declined? Where? Everywhere? Some places only? Using what metrics? How do we know it didn't improve?

What do you mean by "Education"? Test scores? Graduation rates? College acceptance rates?

What do you mean by "decline"? Average achievement? Higher number of low achievers? Lower number of high achievers? Increased costs to educate someone?

I left it open as I note interpretation by the reader is what makes answers interesting.
I note a number of teachers post here so it would be interesting to read how they view the questions.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:

These are excellent questions. My best professor taught us to always begin with the definitions. OP, please define your terms.

In fact, Charles, we need to go back a bit further. What starting point will we use from which to measure a change? Which population?

From what I have read recently, there has not yet been a golden age of American education. Either the standards were lower or the population was a small, elite group, or both. I have not done any research yet, but it an intriguing premise.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Charles is right on. You can't talk about K-12 education in the US as a monolith. There is a vast spectrum of the quality of the education American kids receive.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

Agreed.

OP is too broad and too vague.

Could be an interesting discussion if we define some of the terms but otherwise people will just argue over semantics.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
These are excellent questions. My best professor taught us to always begin with the definitions. OP, please define your terms.

In fact, Charles, we need to go back a bit further. What starting point will we use from which to measure a change? Which population?

From what I have read recently, there has not yet been a golden age of American education. Either the standards were lower or the population was a small, elite group, or both. I have not done any research yet, but it an intriguing premise.
Whoops...teach me not to read a thread all the way through before I post.

I am now feeling a bit redundant and lacking in novelty. Sorry LH.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM

So all of you folks who presumably are in Education have no idea how to respond to the OP although it was open to interpretation? No wonder there are troubles.

Oh what, you can all agree that you cannot agree on how to proceed.

Appears one of the problems is a lack of decisiveness.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
So all of you folks who presumably are in Education have no idea how to respond to the OP although it was open to interpretation? No wonder there are troubles.

Oh what, you can all agree that you cannot agree on how to proceed.

Appears one of the problems is a lack of decisiveness.
Requiring someone to clarify a broad and less than clear question is hardly a lack of decisiveness. People who are really interested in solutions always want to know what the actual problem is first, while those who are just interested in pontificating like to keep the waters muddy.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
What time frame?

It depends on who you ask. My parents thought they got a great education but they were educated in a time when the norm was to drop out of school, like my dad did. I'm not sure it has declined given that we now educate everyone. What we have failed to do is match pace with several countries that are beating our pants off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education