U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
760 posts, read 1,424,023 times
Reputation: 724

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I can write anything in cursive but I never use it, it is sloppier and slower for me...
After seeing this similar statement in this thread a few times, I have to answer: it is ONLY slower or sloppier because of lack of practice!

Given the same amount of time for practicing, cursive IS faster and more efficient form of writing, this is why it was developed in the first place - by people who had to write a lot and fast.

My son uses the same arguments about having to learn cursive which makes me very sad. I keep thinking if we ever have a massive electric outage - we'll be screwed. Pretty soon, noone will know how to do anything without computers and internet Even all toys, clocks, etc. are powered... yet, the scenario is not all that far-off

Last edited by HappyNewMe; 11-28-2011 at 02:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 PM
 
15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Reputation: 15029
My granddaughter is in 4th grade and she just brought home a paper with practicing cursive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Barrington, IL area
1,594 posts, read 2,549,581 times
Reputation: 4937
We were taught cursive in Elementary school, but after about 4th grade were never required to use it, even in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Reputation: 6816
Who the heck writes on paper anymore? I really couldn't care less whether my kids learn cursive. It's about as useful as learning how to light whale oil lamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 AM
 
2,115 posts, read 2,714,061 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
After seeing this similar statement in this thread a few times, I have to answer: it is ONLY slower or sloppier because of lack of practice!
Why would anyone ever even think about wasting time practising this? It's like learning tyranosaur hunting techniques, good luck applying it.

Given the same amount of time for practicing, cursive IS faster and more efficient form of writing, this is why it was developed in the first place - by people who had to write a lot and fast.
I'll give cursive that it's fast, but even I have trouble knowing what I've written.

My son uses the same arguments about having to learn cursive which makes me very sad. I keep thinking if we ever have a massive electric outage - we'll be screwed. Pretty soon, noone will know how to do anything without computers and internet Even all toys, clocks, etc. are powered... yet, the scenario is not all that far-off
Let's pretend all computers/electrics go out, we'll have bigger problems than sloppy handwriting if that happens, and it's not like people can't write good enough to be understood.
Personally I'd be angry if I had a kid in school and the time was wasted on cursive. there are more important things, like math for example. Most kids today are completely worthless at math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,442,959 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Personally I'd be angry if I had a kid in school and the time was wasted on cursive. there are more important things, like math for example. Most kids today are completely worthless at math.
Hmmm.... Cursive is not worthless if you look up how it helps in development of so many areas within the brain and muscle coordination, you may think twice about this. Look at one of my first posts. And taking more time in teaching math will NOT necessarily make better students....sheeesh.

AND I bet you are YOUNG as this really IS more of a generational divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Long Island via Chapel Hill NC, Go Heels?
467 posts, read 613,684 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Hmmm.... Cursive is not worthless if you look up how it helps in development of so many areas within the brain and muscle coordination, you may think twice about this. Look at one of my first posts. And taking more time in teaching math will NOT necessarily make better students....sheeesh.

AND I bet you are YOUNG as this really IS more of a generational divide.
No matter what age you are, most people have come to realize that cursive is becoming obsolete and is more of a dying art form than a way of writing and communicating. It takes the average kid 15 minutes to sign the statement in cursive on the SAT, and usually that consists of writing in print with squiggly lines anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,442,959 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
No matter what age you are, most people have come to realize that cursive is becoming obsolete and is more of a dying art form than a way of writing and communicating. It takes the average kid 15 minutes to sign the statement in cursive on the SAT, and usually that consists of writing in print with squiggly lines anyway.

Most people who are younger.... and if these students practiced writing to begin with, it wouldn't take that long. It hadn't in the past! BUT this is all a moot point (and a sad one) as my generation will be gone soon and then there will be no more of a debate (or will there??: hindsight, ya know )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Long Island via Chapel Hill NC, Go Heels?
467 posts, read 613,684 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Most people who are younger.... and if these students practiced writing to begin with, it wouldn't take that long. It hadn't in the past! BUT this is all a moot point (and a sad one) as my generation will be gone soon and then there will be no more of a debate (or will there??: hindsight, ya know )
All of my generation (Generation Y, 1977-1994, I'm on the later end) practiced writing in cursive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,442,959 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
All of my generation (Generation Y, 1977-1994, I'm on the later end) practiced writing in cursive.
My children are your age, and at least where I live, what they practiced was nothing like what my generation did. PLUS computers were used in elementary school thus, less time practicing handwriting. And practice does make perfect as in anything! Like I said, when my generation is gone, this debate will be gone as well....and I truly feel much to the detriment of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top