Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times

Advertisements

All I can say is thank God I'm over forty.

It's my belief that anyone under forty has a long time to face living in a country devoid of anything of redeeming value concerning education and functionality in a society devoid of purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Even in some places in Texas grammar is taught. My granddaughter came home with plenty of homework where she needs to identify the part of speech in a sentence, for example - she's in 4th grade. And we are in Texas

Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Even in some places in Texas grammar is taught. My granddaughter came home with plenty of homework where she needs to identify the part of speech in a sentence, for example - she's in 4th grade. And we are in Texas

Outstanding. Mind if I ask whereabouts?

We are in Lovejoy ISD, and just totally underwhelmed with the operation.

So much so that we are planning on moving on.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Outstanding. Mind if I ask whereabouts?

We are in Lovejoy ISD, and just totally underwhelmed with the operation.

So much so that we are planning on moving on.
Near Houston - Pearland ISD

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
This year, our elementary school announced they would no longer teach grammar as a separate, stand-alone subject. Instead, they would roll the grammar instruction into the Writing curriculum and teach it in context with a writing assignment. Maybe this is a trend in grammar instruction?

My 5th grader has not come home with any grammar worksheets and does not have a separate grammar workbook at school. I really don't know how (if) they are even teaching grammar rules. I have not seen any materials on it. I also have a middle schooler and do not think he has received any separate Grammar instruction other than essay margin edits from his teacher.

I have felt that instructional time in grammar, handwriting, typing, music, art, science have been greatly reduced over the years (even in our well-regarded district) in order to focus on the 2 things that are the centerpiece of state testing: Reading Comprehension and Math

Despite some of my posts, I have a pretty good understanding of grammar (my mom was an English professor) and have been able to supplement my child's instruction (e.g. with a program called Shurley English over the summer) and edit his papers for grammar mistakes. I'm not sure how the other kids are learning grammar. I do know quite a few parents who utilize writing tutors.

We do have daily foreign language instruction. I do believe they have to teach some basic English grammar/parts of speech/sentence structure in order to proceed with the foreign language instruction. It would not surprise me if the district depended on the foreign language teachers to teach basic grammar to students.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
All I can say is thank God I'm over forty.

It's my belief that anyone under forty has a long time to face living in a country devoid of anything of redeeming value concerning education and functionality in a society devoid of purpose.
As a person who is in their mid 30's, you just depressed me :-( However, I "almost" agree.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have a hard time believing that a HS English teacher would make the statement, "that it was the foreign language teachers' job to teach English grammar." Foreign language teachers are busy teaching the grammar specific to their foreign language. They should point out differences between the two languages, but that doesn't mean they teach English grammar.

HS English classes will typically not use a grammar textbook but that doesn't mean they are not teaching grammar. I could not imagine grading an essay without correcting grammar. Most of the rules of grammar should have been covered by the time a student finishes 9th grade. All of the schools I have encounterd in Pennsylvania, attempt to teach grammar in both elementary, and middle school or junior high.

It is true that students are graduating from college with poor grammar and writing skills. I have even seen people with MBAs and other graduate degrees with poor grammar and writing ability.
I was shocked to hear English teachers in the faculty lunchroom, when I was a newbie foreign language teacher, say that it's not their job to teach grammar, as everyone around the table nodded. What happens when the entire English department in a school abrogates its responsibility in this way, is as SanFranStan said; the foreign language teachers end up first teaching basic grammar, like the parts of speech, because the students don't even know how English grammar works. They need to be given a foundation in the grammar of their own language before the foreign language can be taught. Needless to say, this takes a lot of time away from the task of learning the foreign language.

Highschool students shouldn't be making basic-to-intermediate grammar errors on papers. If enough students are making advanced grammar errors, it means they need actual grammar instruction, structured lessons, not just notes on a paper.

Your school sounds pretty good, villageidiot. Such schools are very rare in many parts of the country. A young friend of mine in PA said his freshman class in HS didn't do writing at all, let alone get instruction in advanced grammar and composition. His freshman year was about making videos, doing audio-visual presentations, and the like.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was shocked to hear English teachers in the faculty lunchroom, when I was a newbie foreign language teacher, say that it's not their job to teach grammar, as everyone around the table nodded. What happens when the entire English department in a school abrogates its responsibility in this way, is as SanFranStan said; the foreign language teachers end up first teaching basic grammar, like the parts of speech, because the students don't even know how English grammar works. They need to be given a foundation in the grammar of their own language before the foreign language can be taught. Needless to say, this takes a lot of time away from the task of learning the foreign language.

Highschool students shouldn't be making basic-to-intermediate grammar errors on papers. If enough students are making advanced grammar errors, it means they need actual grammar instruction, structured lessons, not just notes on a paper.

Your school sounds pretty good, villageidiot. Such schools are very rare in many parts of the country. A young friend of mine in PA said his freshman class in HS didn't do writing at all, let alone get instruction in advanced grammar and composition. His freshman year was about making videos, doing audio-visual presentations, and the like.
The English teacher I referred to earlier retired not long after my older daughter had him. I know that some of the current English teachers are not very good. What would really irritate me is when my kids would have English projects that usually involved a lot of artwork but no writing. Instead of teaching grammar, writing and reading classical literature, many of today's English teachers would rather assign posters. In fact, it is just not English but this is also common in social studies and science. Why assign students to write papers, when grading a poster is so much easier.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The English teacher I referred to earlier retired not long after my older daughter had him. I know that some of the current English teachers are not very good. What would really irritate me is when my kids would have English projects that usually involved a lot of artwork but no writing. Instead of teaching grammar, writing and reading classical literature, many of today's English teachers would rather assign posters. In fact, it is just not English but this is also common in social studies and science. Why assign students to write papers, when grading a poster is so much easier.
This is a crime. Really. The US will lose its competitive edge (what's left of it) globally if nothing is done about this. Who is minding the store? Who is ultimately responsible for this kind of thing? Where is the parental outrage?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a crime. Really. The US will lose its competitive edge (what's left of it) globally if nothing is done about this.
That is the intent.

Quote:
Who is minding the store? Who is ultimately responsible for this kind of thing? Where is the parental outrage?
This is not an accident.

It is intentionally being trashed from the top down.

What do you want parents to do? Besides both working to pay the property taxes to continue to pay for this?

Homeschool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education