Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I must admit that the part of this story that bothers me the most is that the student was apparently held captive in a locked room by himself. Huh?

Will be interesting to read any follow-up.
That actually sounds quite strange to me. Not saying he's not telling the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Agreed. I think there are major holes in the reporting of this story, which is why I would like to see follow-up coverage.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I see this as a policy issue..."in trouble if you do, in trouble if you don't". There should be a clear policy on Protocol to follow in this situation for the employee. If she did not follow policy, she should be terminated. If she did follow policy, the policy needs to be reviewed.

And my "personal" policy has always been to protect children, no matter what the "policy" says. I have done things, as a teacher, that I would have been given grief over....never worried about it. Bottom line....was it for the child? I am fine, bring it on...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
There was a clear policy and she violated the key major part of the policy,...she(the nurse) did not call 911 for medical response.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
We don't have a school nurse. Problem solved.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
There was a clear policy and she violated the key major part of the policy,...she(the nurse) did not call 911 for medical response.
Yes, you are correct. If this is indeed what happened she was negligent. And......the parent is abdicating all responsibility too.

Two people failed this child, the parent and the nurse.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
The story states that the Mom had neglected to sign the required med administration form BUT there was a signed form on file for the three preceding years. A student who has a form signed in a previous year should be permitted his/her meds.

I know many school districts have a policy that no medication can be carried on the student's person or in a locker. It must be given to the nurse to administer. This is to try to prevent illicit drugs being passed around. But if the school nurse is not always in the school, as in the case of nurses who service several school buildings on alternating days, the people who are making policy are not really giving thought to the repercussions. I bet they will now.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The story states that the Mom had neglected to sign the required med administration form BUT there was a signed form on file for the three preceding years. A student who has a form signed in a previous year should be permitted his/her meds.

I know many school districts have a policy that no medication can be carried on the student's person or in a locker. It must be given to the nurse to administer. This is to try to prevent illicit drugs being passed around. But if the school nurse is not always in the school, as in the case of nurses who service several school buildings on alternating days, the people who are making policy are not really giving thought to the repercussions. I bet they will now.
Oh, you think? The forms in my state clearly have a start and end date. How does anyone know that the dr. didn't change the medication after the expiration date, possibly due to a reaction to it?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, you think? The forms in my state clearly have a start and end date. How does anyone know that the dr. didn't change the medication after the expiration date, possibly due to a reaction to it?
Yes, I think. I'm talking, of course, about the emergency situation that is the subject of this thread. Didn't think it was necessary to reiterate that fact. Of course, the doctor may have changed the medication. But the student in question is a 17 y.o. senior. The inhaler was confiscated from him in this current school year. He should certainly know which of his medications are current, else why would he be carrying it?

I'm not advocating public execution for the people involved. But I do think that anyone standing around with their collective thumbs up their collective...noses, should know that there will be repercussions if they don't do something. I also understand the Good Samaritan rule not applying to the school nurse, but administrators are not under that restriction. Based on the information given in the news story, someone needed to do something. IF no one did, (and is it possible that the medics were called and slow responding) shame on them. It is also possible that this story was released to the media by the Mom's attorney with some pertinent details left out.

I learned not to believe everything I read in the paper.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 05-25-2012 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: clarification.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, the nurse was "appropriate" according to the protocol, that's what's important! come on, do you really want her to lose her job?
Yes, yes I do. That is what she deserves. She failed to do her job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) What an irresponsible mother for not ensuring that her child could get the emergency care he needed. All she had to do was sign the form.

3) The nurse could potentially lose her license permanently if she gave a medication without authorization. Good Samaritan Laws would not cover her.
Oh please! Like you've never make an innocent mistake before? I know I have filled out forms completely only come to find out I forgot to sign them (in fact, I did that with my tax forms last year! ), and as soon as the party noticed the lack of signature, it was corrected. Accident does NOT equal irresponsible.

She should lose it for not doing her job and helping a child that needed help. Honestly, I would rather be fired for doing the right thing, than standing back and doing nothing, due to "policy". I thought all good people thought like that, guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And my "personal" policy has always been to protect children, no matter what the "policy" says. I have done things, as a teacher, that I would have been given grief over....never worried about it. Bottom line....was it for the child? I am fine, bring it on...
Amen Jasper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education