Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Kinda falls on deaf ears when the teachers are buying student supplies with their own money now doesn't it ?
Kinda heartless to let those less fortunate go without simply to provide a lesson (that will fall on deaf ears( to the parents (that aren't there to hear it) that don't give a damn, either, isn't it?

BTW, it seems you've forgotten a previous post of mine, describing what I dod and don't supply. I don't supply paper. The students can buy pencils from me, which is used to buy more. But these are HS kids. I expect more. Let's see a 4th grader go home and force mommy to buy him/her some markers for class. Get real...

Last edited by Starman71; 08-20-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He should have used that as an opportunity to discuss personal responsibility and being prepared with the students. He blew his chance to be an educational leader.

There is no doubt that this would be a wonderful opportunity in which to teach a lesson.

But you're making the assumption that the kids can make their parents go out and buy the supplies they need. If the parents can afford it - and we know some of them can, based on what they wear to school, cell phones, etc. - but refuse to buy it, then what lesson is being taught, and to whom? You think the parents that refuse to supply their kids with what's necessary will really care about the lesson? Will they hear about it from their kids?

To the kids/parents that will buy supplies, but are careless about bringing them, yes -the principal did miss an opportunity.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I live in the best school district in N.C. Many but not all of our students are from University (UNC) families or are employed in the nearby Research Triangle Park. Many many professional parents but a few immigrants from the old Burma and some low income Hispanics. Parents in this community move here knowing the reputation our district has and are willing to pay extremely high property taxes for better schools. Still almost every parent I know is willing to send in extra supplies and equipment so that our teachers don't have to go into their own pockets.

All throughout the school year the teachers are praised and feted with luncheons, banquets, etc. and in general we treat our teachers with respect. I have stopped giving teacher gifts at holidays and end of year. I figure they have enough gee haws and trinkets and chocolate so about October I send my kids to school with supplies and/or gift cards to help the teachers out. At special occasions my kids make cards of appreciation. I make sure the kids know we are helping the teachers be better teachers by giving them supplies or gift cards.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Kinda heartless to let those less fortunate go without simply to provide a lesson (that will fall on deaf ears( to the parents (that aren't there to hear it) that don't give a damn, either, isn't it?

BTW, it seems you've forgotten a previous post of mine, describing what I dod and don't supply. I don't supply paper. The students can buy pencils from me, which is used to buy more. But these are HS kids. I expect more. Let's see a 4th grader go home and force mommy to buy him/her some markers for class. Get real...
I'm not directing my comments at you directly.
Yes you did post about what you do and do not do.

My comments were based on the post that the Principal came into the classroom, saw only 1/2 the class prepared and proceeded to blame the teacher for the students not having supplies.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Scraping by, or well paid, why should teachers have to pay for school supplies for other people's children from their salary?
It does make a difference. The cost of school supplies is generally the same in every state but if you are a teacher and make $27,000 a year AND your school does not supply the basics and you are also in a low income district, that extra $$ is going to make a big difference. In my district, a beginning teacher starts just under $50,000, the schools do supply the costly items like copy paper and tissues AND most students will have all the notebooks and pencils. So the teachers in my district are more likely to spend $100 out of pocket while making more money compared to a low paid teacher in potentially worse district who may pay $1,000 out of pocket. It's not as if one teacher is doing a better job then another.

I think every school should have one of these: Google Image Result for http://pencilpartners.com/images/categories/machine1.jpg

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It does make a difference. The cost of school supplies is generally the same in every state but if you are a teacher and make $27,000 a year AND your school does not supply the basics and you are also in a low income district, that extra $$ is going to make a big difference. In my district, a beginning teacher starts just under $50,000, the schools do supply the costly items like copy paper and tissues AND most students will have all the notebooks and pencils. So the teachers in my district are more likely to spend $100 out of pocket while making more money compared to a low paid teacher in potentially worse district who may pay $1,000 out of pocket. It's not as if one teacher is doing a better job then another.

I think every school should have one of these: Google Image Result for http://pencilpartners.com/images/categories/machine1.jpg
You totally missed my point. NEITHER should be expected to pay for paper and pencils for student out if their salary.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
You totally missed my point. NEITHER should be expected to pay for paper and pencils for student out if their salary.

We're conveniently forgetting (or hoping people don't know) that unions reimburse teachers (and other employees) for work-related expenditures. Every union has a form (I was a union steward for 30+ years) to be completed for this purpose. School supplies, "coats and scarves" (another one we hear a lot about)...you name it, it's reimbursed. For teachers who work at private/religious schools or workplaces that aren't unionized, their expenditures are tax-deductible up to a certain amount that may vary from year to year. BTW and interestingly, some unions have adopted a policy of NOT reimbursing teachers who buy supplies at (gasp!) Walmart. So much for unions trying to encourage frugality.

In any event, let's not perpetuate the big lie that "Teachers are spending their money on school supplies!!!! Some of us are informed about the truth of the matter.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We're conveniently forgetting (or hoping people don't know) that unions reimburse teachers (and other employees) for work-related expenditures. Every union has a form (I was a union steward for 30+ years) to be completed for this purpose. School supplies, "coats and scarves" (another one we hear a lot about)...you name it, it's reimbursed. For teachers who work at private/religious schools or workplaces that aren't unionized, their expenditures are tax-deductible up to a certain amount that may vary from year to year. BTW and interestingly, some unions have adopted a policy of NOT reimbursing teachers who buy supplies at (gasp!) Walmart. So much for unions trying to encourage frugality.

In any event, let's not perpetuate the big lie that "Teachers are spending their money on school supplies!!!! Some of us are informed about the truth of the matter.
Doesn't work that way here in Clark County, Nevada. Teachers receive a small "school supply" budget and pay for the rest out of pocket. There are no union forms here, and if you can produce one, I'd very much like to see it.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Let's not perpetuate the Big Lie (or maybe we can call it the Big assumption) that all teachers are union members.

I'm not, so there blows your theory. And even if I were, the dues others pay for membership cannot be used for reimbursement of supplies.

Try again.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-20-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:

Let's remember that this is a national forum so what happens in one state/one school district, may be different somewhere else.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education