Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think public schools today pretty certainly guarantee that the kids will be negatively socialized and will have to be "resocialized" when they get out into the "real world."
It all depends. A ton of public school systems are horrendous. If I had to live in such a district I'd probably homeschool. But there are tons of good public school systems too. Just depends on whether one can afford to be in such a district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
If you could homeschool your kids without having to worry about money or a job, would you do it?

I don't have kids but if I ever do I would consider homeschooling them. Public schools today are out of control. That 'zero tolerance' nonsense, too much kids getting involved in sex and drugs at younger and younger ages, Tests, tests and more tests. Common Core? No thanks. The Government will not control my future kids' education.

I went to public school and hated it. Homeschooling allow you to work at your own pace. Anyone who says parents are sheltering their kids and keeping them in a bubble are ignorant. There are plenty of places to make friends by joining bowling leagues, homeschooling groups, local sports, enrichment classes, volunteering, etc.
I think that if you have the means and inclination to do it, homeschooling is a fine option. As for me, I've been very happy with the public schools my children attend.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
There are two different types of home school parents: (1) those unhappy with the educational opportunities in their area and (2) those who want to limit their children’s exposure to things like evolution, sex education, etc. I respect the former, but have a difficult time with the later.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
The homeschool debate goes on and on but from what I've seen over the years it all depends on the child. Some do well in public school, some don't. Same goes for homeschooling, virtual schooling. Some children are driven in all areas, some in very few.

There are a lot of issues regarding different health conditions as well and with the policies regarding absence. If you have a child with say asthma, then missing more is a given. So homeschooling an asthmatic might be better. A child who is energetic to a fault in public school might just excel at home being allowed to stay on a subject or project they are thrilled about. At school they might just end up being seen as disruptive and ill behaved.

It's really individual and like all debates on here the generalizations aren't realistic at all. The logical approach would be "does it work for your child" not "does homeschooling work in general. So many variables play a part.

When people say I knew a home schooled kid who was this or that. I doubt school would have made a difference. They just wouldn't have adjusted to school either. Or maybe school would have helped. For some doing poorly in public school might just change if they home schooled.

My advice would be to try it out. Try both. See which environment your child thrives in. If they are happy learning, regardless of where, they will gain more information and get a good education. Teachers can only do so much. Parents can on do so much. With all the choices now you can usually find a good fit somewhere. Online, traditional, the arts, homeschool, religious.

My son is at home schooling right now. He has a tutor for a few subjects as well.(pricey) He is gifted in math. Has Tourettes. Ah, the public school liked the math gift, he did well on the tests, but didn't care for the Tourettes. It's hard for teachers to have him in class.
So, he is schooling at home until it fades a bit. Hopefully he will attend high school with little issues. He is learning how to suppress tics and make his way despite his illness.

Last edited by PoppySead; 01-21-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 15,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Humph - try a law school final or a Bar Exam. Talk about standardized tests - but if you want to practice law, you better figure it out and fast.
No, I really think you have no earthly idea. I'm talking about tests in lieu of education. No college student has to put up with that. No law school would pull it. After all, many students have parents who are lawyers and most will become one - they'd get sued.

So why don't parents sue public schools? If you are an attorney, I don't have to tell you. There isn't an attorney in my entire state who will take on the schools for anything but special ed causes. Not one. I'd heard that, and found it hard to believe, so I decided to call attorneys and asking. Over and over, I was told "No, we don't handle school cases, and neither does anyone else. The schools are too lawyered up and we can't win a case, and even if they weren't, juries won't rule against a school because the settlement would come out of their taxes."

Before you rush to Humph again, do some homework. Talk to teachers about standardized tests and ask attorneys if they'll take a case against a school.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poupon View Post
No, I really think you have no earthly idea. I'm talking about tests in lieu of education. No college student has to put up with that. No law school would pull it. After all, many students have parents who are lawyers and most will become one - they'd get sued.

So why don't parents sue public schools? If you are an attorney, I don't have to tell you. There isn't an attorney in my entire state who will take on the schools for anything but special ed causes. Not one. I'd heard that, and found it hard to believe, so I decided to call attorneys and asking. Over and over, I was told "No, we don't handle school cases, and neither does anyone else. The schools are too lawyered up and we can't win a case, and even if they weren't, juries won't rule against a school because the settlement would come out of their taxes."

Before you rush to Humph again, do some homework. Talk to teachers about standardized tests and ask attorneys if they'll take a case against a school.
You are right - i have no earthly idea. You have lost me - and I am usually able to follow some pretty convoluted arguments. Not following how this morphed from standardized testing into whether a lawsuit could be maintained against a school district absent an ADA claim (and I will throw in some sort of tort). BTW - there are attorneys who specialize in educational law - perhaps you just didn't have a viable claim.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
No, I'm not qualified to do so. I have a degree in liberal arts and can't teach a younger person any subject outside of English and social sciences, so other subjects like calculus, trig, chemistry, physics, computer science, etc. are out. I can't teach a younger person fine arts with the exception of photography. I can't teach a younger person to play an instrument I can't play. What if my child wants to play wide receiver? What if she wants to play point guard? What if he wants to act in a school play? Join the marching band? Learn Japanese? All of those things can be done at my local high school.
The teachers at the school will tell you they're not responsible for it either. If your child fails to learn, they will still say it's your responsibility.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It all depends. A ton of public school systems are horrendous. If I had to live in such a district I'd probably homeschool. But there are tons of good public school systems too. Just depends on whether one can afford to be in such a district.
Abuse goes on in every public middle/junior and high school in then nation. In many cases it's physical, in every school there is serious psychological abuse going on. Girls are being sexually harassed at a level no corporation would permit--at levels the military won't even permit. Kids who don't fit in, kids who aren't the Abercrombie kids. It's not just some schools, it's every school.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
No. I wanted my son and daughter to meet all the Nobel prize winners and axe murderers before they found their claim to fame.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not opposed to homeschooling but it wasn't something I ever wanted to do with my own. Even now, with my kids being adults, there are some definite relationship quirks that cause the walls to go up. This is true of all parent/child relationships and why sometimes a non parent is the best way to go when it comes to education. Power struggles are just one reason, there are others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education