Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The reality is people in the end judge things by the results. They start to demand change when the results get really bad. That is where education is now; IMO.
What they fail to take into account is the changing demographic of the American student.
The lower scores go right along with the changing demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 PM

723 posts, read 806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
I could be wrong here, but it feels like the old way of teaching was, show the kids how to do the tasks (IE, simple math) and then as they get older gradually teach the philosophy of why that math works and how to do more with it

CC seems like they said "no, the kids need to understand the underlying philosophical stuff from the start". Which sounds good in theory, but doesn't seem practical, especially when focusing so heavily on the logic and philosophy that you de-emphasize the functional, just get the right answer aspect.
You got it right there ! I'm thinking about "solving linear equations" at the 6th grade level,without first teaching the idea of opposite numbers. I saw a 6th common core math book that is getting students more and more confused because it does not even emphasize enough - although it pretends to do so - the prerequisites [ opposite numbers, and the meaning of subtraction a -b = a+ (-b)]

Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I believe one reason that the older people in the country are against Common Core as study after study proves it is producing dumb students, instead of intelligent ones.
Schools don't manufacture intelligent students. They don't make the short ones tall or the ugly ones attractive, either.

Quote:
Young people get angry at the idea that they have to take tests, before they are considered for hiring. Young people today, are angry that the employer wants proven ability and experience to be hired.

I firmly believe, that the older people see the change in education that is producing students that need classes dumbed down so they can handle the coursework instead of stiffening standards to handle the ever increasing abilities to handle the jobs that come open. They tell us in just 10 years, 67% of the jobs available have not even been invented yet.

These are the type of studies, that prove the common core method so popular today is failing, and the young people entering college cannot read well enough and handle math well enough to be able to even be able to take STEM courses and the other jobs that are in demand and pay high incomes.
I'd wager that the percentage of mathematically adept individuals in the human race has remained fairly constant over time.

A very flawed opinion piece.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
What a lot of the teacher bashers on here don't understand (or maybe they're just being obtuse) is that teachers aren't against standards, even a deeply flawed one like Common Core and its associated PARCC tests.

What teachers object to is the top down aspect of it. If you want to ask about a medical procedure you see a doctor. About a law then you go to a lawyer. Design a building you consult an architect. When it comes to education teachers aren't asked except as an after thought. You have people design a program who have never dealt with the target population except to read statistics or, maybe, in a very limited lab school. You also, as I mentioned, ask the guy over there drinking a 40 out of a paper bag who just pissed himself.

There's a class that almost all education majors have to take, it's called Methods of Teaching ________________. I took it in 1976. The instructor, a full professor, had spent exactly 3 months teaching in a high school situation, and that was in a very exclusive private school. She flat out told us she couldn't cut it. Yet she was "teaching" us what worked in a high school classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education