Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Of course Jeb Bush was pro CC. His foundation Excellence in Education, raked in tens of millions of dollars to promote it.
I am not sure what point you are making since I said Jeb was/is for CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
I'm against the way Americans educate kids in general. We are becoming increasingly "one size fits all" and education is becoming increasingly competitive. We pit students against each other with testing, and teachers are forced to "teach to the test" so that kids score well on tests. We have sacrificed all the other functions of education at the altar of the test. Funding is based off of tests creating a lot of pressure which can lead to cheating and grade inflation.

Each student learns differently but we are institutionalizing schools and crushing individuality out of the system which is something I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I'm against the way Americans educate kids in general. We are becoming increasingly "one size fits all" and education is becoming increasingly competitive. We pit students against each other with testing, and teachers are forced to "teach to the test" so that kids score well on tests. We have sacrificed all the other functions of education at the altar of the test. Funding is based off of tests creating a lot of pressure which can lead to cheating and grade inflation.

Each student learns differently but we are institutionalizing schools and crushing individuality out of the system which is something I'm not entirely comfortable with.
Well you cannot fit everybody needs.
There should be levels such as such honors, average and special ed
Being competitive is good and I am Individual when everyone tried to change me.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Well you cannot fit everybody needs.
There should be levels such as such honors, average and special ed
Being competitive is good and I am Individual when everyone tried to change me.
Well of course you can't meet everyone's needs but the problem with forcing top down regulations is that is squashes out a lot of wiggle room.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Well of course you can't meet everyone's needs but the problem with forcing top down regulations is that is squashes out a lot of wiggle room.
There has to be some National standard.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM

573 posts, read 586,371 times
They simply forced it on teachers and said, "here you go, figure it out." My fiancee is a teacher and her class won't even do the work because they say it is too hard and confusing. The worst part is the parents agree and refuse to make their children do the work because the parents can't understand it either! It is simply not fair to force a kid to explain in detail every simple answer they get. Each person uses a different method to get to an answer, they shouldn't have to explain all of them. No where in the real world would common core even be required.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:00 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. And it doesn't apply merely to the topic of education.

However, this opens the Pandora's box of the same tired "states rights" debates.
The larger 'political' goal will, at best, devolve to the pragmatic and the expedient.
Which is largely why we are now on to this latest in a long series of failed "better ways".

Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
And if you think about it there was a national standard although not set by the Dept of Ed.
The SAT is a national test.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And if you think about it there was a national standard although not set by the Dept of Ed.
The SAT is a national test.
Well we took the ACT lol
I ment what kids are learning.
You cannot have half of kids in america does not know what an RNA is.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
I think conservatives being against it is more of a correlation issue than a bipartisan issue. Conservatives by nature are mistrusting of the public educational system, and even more so theyre generally against big changes in things. (Hence the word conservative).

Personally math works just fine for me, why change it? Its worked just fine since we "discovered" it thousands of years ago. Unless you've devised a way to make those who aren't good at math, better, then why force a new model on people.

Remember "new math?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education