Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

We go to the minor league ball park locally. They have a peanut free section.

I will tell you that there are times when coming into contact with peanuts is inevitable, an airplane for example. When we know that we may come into contact with peanuts, we carry an epipen.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not endorsing schools mandating peanut free. I am saying that most people make too big a deal out of not sending your kid to school without peanut butter. It might teach kids a lesson on compassion instead of selfishness and indulgence. Or, maybe that's just mom and dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
How about going to a sporting event? At the hockey games there is ALWAYS someone around eating peanuts. They shell them and pop'em in their mouths and the shells drop to the ground. I'd say sporting events and venues where people eat peanuts like that are FAR MORE dangerous than a PB sandwich some kid in another class is eating in a different lunch period.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I am not endorsing schools mandating peanut free. I am saying that most people make too big a deal out of not sending your kid to school without peanut butter. It might teach kids a lesson on compassion instead of selfishness and indulgence. Or, maybe that's just mom and dad.
I don't understand this comment. I don't think that most parents who send their children to school with a PB&J sandwich are trying to be selfish. They are trying to feed their children lunch. The fact the many kids like PB and it is cheap is a bonus. I actually at PB&J today because is it quick and cheap. I was not trying to hurt anyone.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Sending your kid to school with pbj is not hurting anyone or being selfish, UNLESS AS AN ADULT, you are aware that there is a child in the class who could die if contacted with peanuts. Then, it is both selfish and potentially harmful.
We are pretty careful with our daughter, but do not go overboard. As I stated, we don't expect people to change their habits for my kid. But, this does not change the fact that if they send their kid to school with PB, knowing that their is a kid in the class with allergies, then they are acting in a selfish and self absorbed manner.

Let me state that in my experience, this is a parent problem, not a kid problem. I will give one example of this. We were at a new friends house and it was lunchtime. We were not paying much attention and our friend had made PB&J sandwiches for the kids. When presented, we explained that we could not eat them. Our friends acted as if just a little bit would not be harmful. We explained that it could. While we were talking, her kids sat their, not taking a bite of their sandwich. When Mom asked why they were not eating, they said that they did not want to eat PB and more. Kids are naturally compassionate and understanding. Somewhere along the way to becoming adults, we lost that trait. Unless, of course, it benefits us, then compassion works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I don't understand this comment. I don't think that most parents who send their children to school with a PB&J sandwich are trying to be selfish. They are trying to feed their children lunch. The fact the many kids like PB and it is cheap is a bonus. I actually at PB&J today because is it quick and cheap. I was not trying to hurt anyone.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
I understand your point better. In the school where I work, the children only eat in the cafeteria. I would advocate a peanut free table that is monitored for your child. This way, parents who do send their child with a PB sandwich would not be harming your child.

I'm surprised that any adult would be so stupid as to offer an allergic child peanuts.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Yep, peanut free tables at the school. Plenty of kids who are not allergic sit at the table as well.
I would hope that if parents were educated about the dangers of PB allergies, more would be willing to comply with peanut free. Then again, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I understand your point better. In the school where I work, the children only eat in the cafeteria. I would advocate a peanut free table that is monitored for your child. This way, parents who do send their child with a PB sandwich would not be harming your child.

I'm surprised that any adult would be so stupid as to offer an allergic child peanuts.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Did you read the article? It's a spoof.

And I don't remember reading any posts with anyone suggesting people ban peanut butter from their homes.
No, I didn't read the article. What I read were the posts by people claiming to be the parents of children with peanut allergies who insists that entire schools go peanut free. Some posts even requesting that the homes of all students go peanut free as well. So, I wasn't responding to the article, just the posters.

The most cases of deaths caused by an allergic reaction to a food item comes from peanuts and some people are so hypersensitive that just being near someone who has consumed a peanut product can trigger a reaction. I am not trying to downplay those with this allergy, but I my stance still remains (1) Your child(ren) will always live a restricted lifestyle for the entirety of their lives until some sort of medication or treatment comes along. Asking everyone else to make changes to their eating habits is just insane (2) I do not understand why so many parents are willing to put their children in harm's way by allowing them to attend a public school. I can sympathize with your desire to deliver the most normal life for your kid(s) but seriously, it does not make sense.

This is slightly off topic. I work in a seafood restaurant. At least once a month someone comes in with this or that food allergy. Last summer two customers came in (on separate occasions). The first was a lady with a child. She was asking about shellfish, if we served it, what it came into contact with, etc. Turns out that her daughter is allergic to shellfish. The other customer actually ordered food, ate it, and then afterwards came back and asked about shellfish. Turns out that her daughter is allergic to shellfish as well. I can see a couple of Darwin Awards for them in the future.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
...As I stated, we don't expect people to change their habits for my kid. But, this does not change the fact that if they send their kid to school with PB, knowing that their is a kid in the class with allergies, then they are acting in a selfish and self absorbed manner.

Let me state that in my experience, this is a parent problem, not a kid problem. I will give one example of this. We were at a new friends house and it was lunchtime. We were not paying much attention and our friend had made PB&J sandwiches for the kids. When presented, we explained that we could not eat them. Our friends acted as if just a little bit would not be harmful. We explained that it could. While we were talking, her kids sat their, not taking a bite of their sandwich. When Mom asked why they were not eating, they said that they did not want to eat PB and more. Kids are naturally compassionate and understanding. Somewhere along the way to becoming adults, we lost that trait. Unless, of course, it benefits us, then compassion works.
Hmm, you don't expect anyone to change for your child, yet in the same breath you say if we don't, we are self-absorbed and selfish, etc.. So, what you are REALLY saying is that you want to come off as the good guy and make everybody who doesn't toss the PB look like the bad guy..... Now I get it.

Your little story is nice, but I'm betting the kids didn't want the PB&J sandwiches because you probably scared the crap out of them because of your refusal to eat them. They probably thought something was wrong with them and they would have some terrible reaction and die as a result. Yeah, that's the way to put compassion in a kid's heart; scare it into them.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Seriously, it's the arrogance of the parents that cause the bad feelings, not the allergic kids. The kids are innocent, the parents continually rub our faces in it and try to make us give up something that most Americans enjoy, and is a staple for most children.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Look, I don't care what you or anyone else feeds their kids. I have never asked a school to prohibit peanuts in the presence of my child. We take the necessary precautions to avoid exposure. We do our best to make sure that our child does not make her peanut allergy an issue or some sort of cross to bear.
As for having kids with peanut allergies stay out of school, that idea is asinine. Its like me stating that your kid is dimwitted and by virtue of his stupidy is hampering my child's education. Therefore, keep your kid at home.
As for scaring kids into not eating peanuts, you are wrong. We never make a big deal out of not eating peanuts.
Your attitude just enforces my opinion that most adults are selfish and self absorbed. Please tell me how sending your kid to school with Pb, knowing there is a peanut allergic child in class, is not selfish and self absorbed. It is the definition.
Let me state, once again, that I could care less about looking like a good guy or if you and your family like to eat peanut butter. My concern is and always will be the safety of my child.
Look, there is no need to get all worked up, you know, with the Bold type. Just go about your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Hmm, you don't expect anyone to change for your child, yet in the same breath you say if we don't, we are self-absorbed and selfish, etc.. So, what you are REALLY saying is that you want to come off as the good guy and make everybody who doesn't toss the PB look like the bad guy..... Now I get it.

Your little story is nice, but I'm betting the kids didn't want the PB&J sandwiches because you probably scared the crap out of them because of your refusal to eat them. They probably thought something was wrong with them and they would have some terrible reaction and die as a result. Yeah, that's the way to put compassion in a kid's heart; scare it into them.

Last edited by theS5; 01-17-2009 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 AM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

The most cases of deaths caused by an allergic reaction to a food item comes from peanuts and some people are so hypersensitive that just being near someone who has consumed a peanut product can trigger a reaction. I am not trying to downplay those with this allergy, but I my stance still remains (1) Your child(ren) will always live a restricted lifestyle for the entirety of their lives until some sort of medication or treatment comes along. Asking everyone else to make changes to their eating habits is just insane (2) I do not understand why so many parents are willing to put their children in harm's way by allowing them to attend a public school. I can sympathize with your desire to deliver the most normal life for your kid(s) but seriously, it does not make sense.
Yes, our children will always live a restricted lifestyle due to their allergies. That is a fact of life that my child already knows well.

However, every child is entitled to a free and appropriate public school education, and the schools are legally accountable for providing an education in the least restrictive environment for children with disabilities. They must make accommodations to keep all the children safe; children with allergies included.

When you send your child to school you have a reasonable expectation that those in charge of your child will take reasonable precautions to keep your child safe. I have the right to the same expectation when I send my child to school. The schools are required to provided reasonable accommodations.

My school has a peanut free table in the cafeteria where the children with allergies sit. Children can and do bring pb&j for lunch, which is eaten in the cafeteria.

pb however, is not allowed in my child's classroom. The kids eat snack in the classroom, but peanut snacks are not allowed to be eaten in the classroom, so the parents are asked not to send in any peanut or nut snacks. "May contain" items for the other kids are okay, but NO food sharing is allowed.

I feel these accommodations are reasonable and as of yet, not one parent in my child's classroom has complained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education