Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM

128 posts, read 403,278 times

Advertisements

When I was in High School in the 1980s if you had some type of mental disability you just struggled. There were no accommodations at all that I could remember. Now my brother's sons are given all this extra time because they paid a mental heath professional to say they have all these disabilities. They have so called mental disabilities that I have never heard of. They seem perfectly normal to me. So they get more time to take tests and complete assignments they claim they have ADHD, dyslexia and a few other things I do not remember.

Now that they are going into college they are getting special accommodations to take the SAT test. Both of them get like twice as long as a so called normal person to take the tests. I told my brother that the whole thing is unfair because when they go into college I doubt they will get these accommodations. In the corporate world is XYZ Company going to let them slide on deadlines due to ADHD or dyslexia? I doubt it.

What do you think about all these special accomodations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,093 times
It isn't right, is it.

Teens get all those accommodations in school, then go to college. Can't be too terribly 'disabled'. Some even get propped up during college. What happens when they go out into the workforce? They will have jobs to do and employers won't be holding their hands. They will be expected to tow the line all by themselves.

Parents do their children no favors by finding the least little things wrong with their kids and having them specially taught all through school. Those kids never learn how to stand on their own and make something of themselves.

Some parents do it to give their kids a boost above and beyond what everyone else gets, others do it for the check.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Now my brother's sons are given all this extra time because they paid a mental heath professional to say they have all these disabilities.
No one pays an mental health professional to say his are her child has disabilities.

Quote:
They have so called mental disabilities that I have never heard of. They seem perfectly normal to me.
Sometimes you cannot see whats wrong on the inside just by looking at someones outside.

Why not educate yourself on the problems that your nephews have and offer them help instead of complaining about them getting special treatment because of a disability.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
It isn't right, is it.

Teens get all those accommodations in school, then go to college. Can't be too terribly 'disabled'. Some even get propped up during college. What happens when they go out into the workforce? They will have jobs to do and employers won't be holding their hands. They will be expected to tow the line all by themselves.

Parents do their children no favors by finding the least little things wrong with their kids and having them specially taught all through school. Those kids never learn how to stand on their own and make something of themselves.

Some parents do it to give their kids a boost above and beyond what everyone else gets, others do it for the check.
I hope and pray that you never have a child with disabilities.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
I can tell the OP really thought this one thru. There are many people today with learning disabilities. Many, with help, can someday learn to work at productive jobs, thereby becoming assets to our workforce and tax base. The alternative is to allow them to fail in school and become a burden on society due to their inability to support themselves. Gee which do you think is the better course? Think hard now.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I hope and pray that you never have a child with disabilities.
When a student is in honors classes and has an aide to help him because of an IEP, I'd question the label of disabled. It happens all the time.

Funny how a huge amount of students suddenly became disabled these past few years with things that didn't even exist years ago.

In the past, parents didn't use the word disability as an excuse for junior's normal behavior and lack of interest in academics.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,736 times
Quote:
Now that they are going into college they are getting special accommodations to take the SAT test. Both of them get like twice as long as a so called normal person to take the tests. I told my brother that the whole thing is unfair because when they go into college I doubt they will get these accommodations.
Actually they do get accommodations in college. I had a classmate who got extra time to do tests. Here is the thing, in engineering is not about how long it takes to get to the answer it is about can you get the answer. Also a lot of the stuff I learned in college was useless when I got to the workforce anyway.

Quote:
When a student is in honors classes and has an aide to help him because of an IEP, I'd question the label of disabled. It happens all the time.
Actually I think it very common for very smart people to have disabilities. Savants are a great example, they are geniuses but the may not be able to dress themselves.

Quote:
Funny how a huge amount of students suddenly became disabled these past few years with things that didn't even exist years ago.

In the past, parents didn't use the word disability as an excuse for junior's normal behavior and lack of interest in academics.
I have a friend whose son just got diagnosed with ADD. The issue she had was that at home her son could read and at school he wouldn't. He would get distracted by the smallest thing like a clock ticking. The teacher kept giving her negative reports an nothing else. Now with the IEP he will get help and not fall behind in school.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
Quote:

You really do not know much about this subject. When a person has a learning disability they may be gifted in one area like math, but severely deficient in another like reading comprehension. So if a student is in a geometry class and has the ability to do math but has problems reading and understanding the question, they need help.
As far as the increase in disabilities goes, yes there has been a dramatic increase. In 1990 1 in 10,000 kids were diagnosed within the Autistic spectrum, today it is closer to 1 in 100. We have poisoned our environment with heavy metals and chemicals which cause problems with brain development and now we are seeing the affects. If you have not been affected by this poisoning you should be thankful and count your blessings instead of being resentful of people who have, and are struggling.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Oh it does happen all the time? Unless you are a teacher, or you are in classes everyday I doubt you know what happens all the time.

You do know that a child with aspergers syndrome, or other forms of autism can get into honors classes and still need help with normal daily functions that you take for granite?

Quote:
These things did exist years ago, and they exist now. Only difference is, teachers, parents and the schools finally figured this out.

It took a lot of complaining and fighting by parents and the government getting involved before children with disabilities were giving the opportunity to get a fair education that they are initialed to.

The problem is that people like you think that with my child getting special help takes away from your child's education. It doesn't. Plus I pay taxes just like you and my child will receive an education by whatever means it takes.

Quote:
Parents aren't using that as an excuse, and if they are, they ned to called out for it.

Like I said, just because someone looks OK on the outside doesn't mean they are OK on the inside.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM

128 posts, read 403,278 times
So what happens to the kids who got accommodations in High School when they go to college? Are they still given extra time to complete the tests? How about when they get a good job as an adult, is the boss going to give them a break because they tested for ADHD or dyslexia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education